Industry News: Leica announces the Leica M10-R

Jan 22, 2012
I guess the people who don't seem to get Leicas haven't even considered the fact that when subjects look at them, they don't just see them, but they also see a camera as well.
Even if it was the same to use (it is completely different. it teaches photography a lot better than a camera that just does everything by itself) it can give a completely different expression.
Or alternatively, it may disappear better.
If the photographer enjoys shooting with it, he may present a different impression of himself to others.

Point is: in theory, yes, you could make similar pictures with a Canon or a smartphone or whatever. But in practice, this may not actually hold.
And people don't seem to realise this, unable to see beyond what is presented to them, they just see a very expensive camera with old technology and a Leica badge, nothing more.

This narrow-minded approach is probably the reason why so many people seem to hate others on forums, whose "sin" is only that they use different cameras, photograph differently, etc. etc.

No no. People can and should use the equipment they want. I feel Leica is so expensive and similar (even better) results can be achieved more effectively with much cheaper gear. IMHO.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Just buy one, you'll soon understand!
Nothing beats Leica M wide-angles or short tele lenses in sharpness and contrast.
Also: compare the size of an EOS plus 35 L lens with an M Leica plus Summilux 35...
And, subjectively, the pleasure to use a perfectly made instrument.
Leica M cameras: love them or hate them...both options are valid.
I will not buy them but will check them out somehow. Am very curious. But I do believe Canon RF glass would be as great as any comparable Leica IN REAL LIFE. Even better as I believe in autofocus. AF helps me capture moments which I would certainly miss otherwise.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I will not buy them but will check them out somehow. Am very curious. But I do believe Canon RF glass would be as great as any comparable Leica IN REAL LIFE. Even better as I believe in autofocus. AF helps me capture moments which I would certainly miss otherwise.
Mis-focusing can be bad, AF has its place definitely.
But these newer, better, more intelligent AF systems carry a danger with them, they let people take thousands of mediocre pictures perfectly in focus, instead of just a few, where more attention was paid to have the right composition the right moment, the right light, etc.
While I guess most people are unwilling to trade that in, but there are some who want this (or they just have too much money, but not all Leica users are like that).
But again, I don't think you have tried to use a rangefinder, so it is beating a dead horse.
As the naming suggests, the photographer pre-determines the distance he or she wants to be shooting at, and quickly re-adjusts it for precise focus (this can be done either buy the focus ring or the camera as well, so it can always be shot at similar distances, which makes it easier to have the same magnification to the subject)
It is very different to just using as camera and put the subject somewhere in the frame, letting the camera's AF system to go to that exact same distance.

I would say Canon RF is absolutely great, but it is just different. All are great for different reasons.
But currently, only the Leica M system manages to provide top-quality glass at the smallest size and lowest weight, but at the expense of AF and highest price.

By the way, there are film rangefinder cameras which work exactly the same and they barely cost anything, the Canon GL17 G-III comes to mind. It has that same "small brick" feeling with a fixed lens. Unfortunately, it is a lot harder to focus than a Leica and with everything squeezed in the handling isn't at the same level, but for the money these are hard to beat (the quality of that 40mm f/1.7 fixed lens probably worth more than the camera itself, and the leaf shutter is even quieter)
There are some screw-mount rangefinders which are closer to the Leica in terms of size and handling, like a Canon P or a Canon 7, and they also go for giveaway prices sometimes - and you can stay in the Canon family :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Just buy one, you'll soon understand!
Nothing beats Leica M wide-angles or short tele lenses in sharpness and contrast.
Also: compare the size of an EOS plus 35 L lens with an M Leica plus Summilux 35...
And, subjectively, the pleasure to use a perfectly made instrument.
Leica M cameras: love them or hate them...both options are valid.

Taken with Leica M 240 and the Leica Elmarit-M 2.8/21mm Asph, wide open, LR 5.6, DNG converteted into JPG, no corrections. Any vignetting? Any colour fringing? The lens is BTW from 1997, more than 20 years old.

L1000119.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Taken with Leica M 240 and the Leica Elmarit-M 2.8/21mm Asph, wide open, LR 5.6, DNG converteted into JPG, no corrections. Any vignetting? Any colour fringing? The lens is BTW from 1997, more than 20 years old.

View attachment 191409
I would give a standing ovation but I can't see much. :devilish:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
No no. People can and should use the equipment they want. I feel Leica is so expensive and similar (even better) results can be achieved more effectively with much cheaper gear. IMHO.

A friend of mine who's a videographer commented that back in the film days, Leica bodies made sense as you were paying for quality on a body you might use for over a decade. With digital, the body itself is much less of a long-term investment since the technology is changing so quickly.

Anyways, I am certainly not going to begrudge somebody loving an artistic tool item that makes them happy and captures a spirit that other brands don't. A lot of people who are astronomically better photographers than I will ever be swear by Leica so obviously there's something there. Personally, I'll take an actual grip.

But what I simply don't understand (and am told I cannot understand until I use one long term) is the absolute fawning that happens over these bodies in the same breath that the R5 is blasted for "nerfing" video specs. 4.5fps, no video, for $8K. Where are the people asking why Leica didn't put a fan on it?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
But what I simply don't understand (and am told I cannot understand until I use one long term) is the absolute fawning that happens over these bodies in the same breath that the R5 is blasted for "nerfing" video specs. 4.5fps, no video, for $8K. Where are the people asking why Leica didn't put a fan on it?

Because Leica is no threat to Sony's market, that's why.

And yes, that's an accusation aimed at people (not you!). Especially the ones who try to give the impression that the Canon will overheat after 20 SECONDS (not 20 minutes) of 8K.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Pretty much for the past 30 years or so, maybe, for sure, and don't care.
I could quote many more... and much younger ones, just visit the official Leica website's gallery.
But my post was more about my dislike of generalizations based on isolated examples.
To say you're brainless because you own a Leica????:rolleyes:
Leica-bashing is so popular...

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
The Leica M10 monochrome is a very interesting camera. Because there is no AA or Bayer filter one can get clean shots up to ISO 25000 with a 40 MP sensor. Is it a specialized tool? Yes. In the right hands the images can be stunning. Another advantage of the M system is the small form factor for the lenses and camera which makes carrying it around all day a pleasure to use. Sure you have to manually focus, but if your subject is static or slowly moving it is really not that difficult.

Upvote 0