Interview: Sigma CEO Kazuto Yamaki

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/194960739" width="728" height="410" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe></p>
<p><a href="https://www.cinema5d.com/interview-sigma-ceo-suggests-potential-video-shooting-cameras-in-future/https://www.cinema5d.com/interview-sigma-ceo-suggests-potential-video-shooting-cameras-in-future/">Cinema5D</a> had the opportunity on a recent trip to Japan to sit down with Sigma CEO Kazuto Yamaki and talk all things Sigma.</p>
<p><strong>Here is a rundown from <a href="https://www.cinema5d.com/interview-sigma-ceo-suggests-potential-video-shooting-cameras-in-future/https://www.cinema5d.com/interview-sigma-ceo-suggests-potential-video-shooting-cameras-in-future/">Cinema5D</a> of questions asked in this interview:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>00:17 – How was it to grow-up in a house with an enthusiastic father? (Mr. Michihiro Yamaki established the company in 1961 and passed away in 2012, at the age of 78).</li>
<li>01:29 – Can you please share with our audience your daily routine?</li>
<li>03:14 – How do you prioritise which mount and lenses to make?</li>
<li>04:01 – How easy was the decision to start making the Art line of high-quality lenses?</li>
<li>05:27 – In the past, Sigma lenses were considered affordable. Then you decided to hit the upper end of the market. What was the reason?</li>
<li>06:53 – In such a crowded market, Sigma is producing a high-quality stills camera that does not offer any video functionality. Why is that?</li>
<li>07:51 – Are you able to keep good sales is a declining market?</li>
<li>09:07 – Why did you decide to produce cine lenses?</li>
<li>09:57 – Where did people go? Why aren’t they buying lenses anymore?</li>
<li>10:26 – What would be your dream zoom lens?</li>
</ul>
<p>One of the most intriguing parts of the interview is at about the 7:40 mark where he talks about the possibility of Sigma producing a mirrorless camera with video capabilities.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Oct 16, 2015
24-70 / 2.8 IS Art, 70-200 2.8 IS Sport are definitely coming and hopefully, by April 2017.
Sigma tested waters with new AF motor and algo before hiting the market with 85mm Art prime. Now that the AF consistency seems no longer an issue, Sigma can move on.
For the time being, I decided to re-purchase Sigma 35mm and 50mm Art primes to support Sigma business in Australia. Just waiting for the right time (Christmas sales ?) to hit the purchase button.

Ah-Keong said:
Thanks Sigma especially for the DC glass
18-35mm and 50-100mm. Hope to see a 10-16mm f/1.8 DC HSM | Art soon.

Hope more dream glasses (24-70mm, 70-200mm, Macro, etc) comes along and also their new DSLMirrorless body!!~

My Dream Glass is 85-135mm f/1.8 DG HSM | Art! OS would be great! ;D

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
AlmostDecent said:
He brings up a 'fast' 24-105 as a dream lens. Would a 24-105 f/2.8 be possible? Obviously it would be large and heavy, but how large and how heavy? If it weighed about 1.5kg like the typical 70-200 f/2.8, would you buy it and use it?

I think large and heavy doesn't mean what it used to mean. We are (some of us) accustomed to pickle jar primes and wanting to handhold lenses which most certainly need a tripod foot for a good reason. Yeah, my camera would be sleeker and lighter without it's L plate but......

Upvote 0
AlmostDecent said:
He brings up a 'fast' 24-105 as a dream lens. Would a 24-105 f/2.8 be possible? Obviously it would be large and heavy, but how large and how heavy? If it weighed about 1.5kg like the typical 70-200 f/2.8, would you buy it and use it?

Obviously they (both canon and sigma) already have problems making a really (optically) good 24-105/4. I wonder how difficult a corresponding 2.8 lens would be.

If it has as quality, say, between the 24-105 and the 24-70 2.8 I would love to have/use it....but I don't think we will ever see such a beast....

Upvote 0
Alex_M said:
24-70 / 2.8 IS Art, 70-200 2.8 IS Sport are definitely coming and hopefully, by April 2017.
Sigma tested waters with new AF motor and algo before hiting the market with 85mm Art prime. Now that the AF consistency seems no longer an issue, Sigma can move on.
For the time being, I decided to re-purchase Sigma 35mm and 50mm Art primes to support Sigma business in Australia. Just waiting for the right time (Christmas sales ?) to hit the purchase button.

Exactly, with the Sigma USB dock to update the software/firmware in the glasses. I love the black glass on black body combination.

Gonna save up and support Sigma by purchasing the Sigma 50-100mm. Thanks Sigma for taking the risk to develop DC glass for noobs like me! ;D

Upvote 0
AlmostDecent said:

I maybe wrong but the Sigma 24-105mm seems brighter to me than the Canon 24-105mm. Maybe the Sigma's t-stop is better?

In my opinion, I would like to have some kind of overlap say "35-85mm f/2 DG HSM | Dream" and then a say "85-135mm f/2 DG HSM | Dream".

Would the two duet weigh 3.0 kg? I would buy it! :eek:

Upvote 0
Policar said:
Waiting a FF Foveon P+S. Sold the 5D and bought a DP Merill 2. Anyone looking for a sharp normal lens needn't look further. At small print sizes it has the look of a view camera and slide film, very sharp and clean.

I believe if they have sufficient resources, the sigma body with the new sensor would have potential like the Fujifilm.

Upvote 0
Ah-Keong said:
Policar said:
Waiting a FF Foveon P+S. Sold the 5D and bought a DP Merill 2. Anyone looking for a sharp normal lens needn't look further. At small print sizes it has the look of a view camera and slide film, very sharp and clean.

I believe if they have sufficient resources, the sigma body with the new sensor would have potential like the Fujifilm.

I agree, FF Foveon should look as good at low ISO as Fuji MF. I'm so impressed by this camera.

Upvote 0