Irix Announces 15mm f/2.4 Lenses for Canon EF

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
GMCPhotographics said:
NR have a leak on the pricing for the 15mm, between $600 and $780 depending on which version is purchased. There's a polycarbonate body called the fire fly and a metal bodied version called the Blackstone.

Aware of that thanks... Dollar and Euro prices are meaningless - UK prices are not directly linked to exchange rates

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
sdsr said:
AvTvM said:
Blackstone, Firefly, all the same Samyang sh*t. Nothing Swiss about it.

Even if true, some of that sh*t is rather good - as every review I've seen agrees, the fairly recent Samyang 135mm f2 is stunningly good, better than the 135L (leaving aside the lack of AF).
Then feel free to get it and focus manually fully open... especially when shooting portraits... ::)

Upvote 0
tron said:
sdsr said:
AvTvM said:
Blackstone, Firefly, all the same Samyang sh*t. Nothing Swiss about it.

Even if true, some of that sh*t is rather good - as every review I've seen agrees, the fairly recent Samyang 135mm f2 is stunningly good, better than the 135L (leaving aside the lack of AF).
Then feel free to get it and focus manually fully open... especially when shooting portraits... ::)
Just get a better focusing screen... ;-)

Seriously though, that's one feature I really miss when going from my 1Ds3 to 5Ds

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
keithcooper said:
Haydn1971 said:
Hi Keith, was there any indication of UK prices and also, what about further lenses ? They have been posting about a 11mm f4, is there anything more ?

No details as yet - the 11mm was firmly in a glass box - looked slightly bigger.

I'm on their mailing list so should get info as soon as it appears.

The only clue was 'we're looking at interesting lenses' - could be anything I suppose ;-)

Keith, just got back to your original post on the IRIX and saw the 11 F/4.0 mentioned... as I always use WA zoom lenses at their lowest end, this could be a great addition to the few ones I own...;-) Hope the asking price is not too high. As prices of the 15 mm lens recently leaked http://nikonrumors.com/2016/03/21/price-of-the-irix-15mm-f2-4-full-frame-lens-leaked.aspx/ I hope the 11 mm lens won't be far beyond 850-900...BTW my "cr*ppy Samyang 14 F/2.8" lens is tack sharp. A full left turn to the stop and you are there...just make sure once you move from one place to another while on location, to check back before shooting your next frame ;-)

Here's a sample
Bearbeitet_MilkyWay-0424 by Peter Hauri, on Flickr

Upvote 0
bjd said:
A friend has now got his Irix copy and posted the following picture. He likes to shoot into the Sun and has terrible problems with Lens Flare if he does that, and has found no way to get rid of it while shooting.
Anyone else have the same problems?

Cheers Brian

Looking at how much the image shown has been forced in processing I'd expect this, or a variation, with almost any complex WA lens.

I found the Canon 15mm FE showed this far less than many lenses - of course, you'll need to 'correct' the distortion and ideally have a lot of MP to start with (lessens the impact of the geometry change) The newer 8-15 is also good with flare, but if you want to process images that look like this, it's going to be a problem with almost any lens

Update - Looked through the archives and found some dual shot experiments (TS-E17) with the sun in shot (not the centre, but away from the edge). Using my hand as a sunshade to get a second shot without the flare, and blending the two images. Takes a bit of care in editing (in PS with masked layers) to get it smooth. Rarely a satisfactory solution, not because of the flare, but the resultant lighting of the rest of the shot (I don't get much call for silhouettes...)

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
bjd said:
A friend has now got his Irix copy and posted the following picture. He likes to shoot into the Sun and has terrible problems with Lens Flare if he does that, and has found no way to get rid of it while shooting.
Anyone else have the same problems?

Cheers Brian

I can't say I notice any lens flare, but why is he shooting through a hula hoop? ;D

Upvote 0
I can't say I notice any lens flare, but why is he shooting through a hula hoop? ;D
[/quote]

Ha - hula hoop! The flare reminds me of my Tokina 16-28. Lenstip has two astro shots in which the Irix coma looks pretty pronounced. That pretty much eliminates the Irix for me. I'm hoping Tamron has improved the coma substantially with their new 14mm. If so, that will be my next lens.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Viggo said:
Anyone that has any more user experience with the Irix 15 yet? I read some tests that say it's nearly free of flare even when the sun is in the frame, like it often would be, and the example above here shows it simmilar to the Zeiss 21 which was hopeless.

I'm in the market for the Irix 15, so appreciate any user experiences.
See:

http://www.lenstip.com/486.9-Lens_review-Irix_15_mm_f_2.4_Blackstone_Ghosting_and_flares.html

In my opinion the lens does not ... shine (pun intended!)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
tron said:
Viggo said:
Anyone that has any more user experience with the Irix 15 yet? I read some tests that say it's nearly free of flare even when the sun is in the frame, like it often would be, and the example above here shows it simmilar to the Zeiss 21 which was hopeless.

I'm in the market for the Irix 15, so appreciate any user experiences.
See:

http://www.lenstip.com/486.9-Lens_review-Irix_15_mm_f_2.4_Blackstone_Ghosting_and_flares.html

In my opinion the lens does not ... shine (pun intended!)

Thanks! Yeah, that doesn't look good. I had a hard time with the Zeiss 21 and this looks worse.

Upvote 0