Is Amazon selling fake LP-E6 batteries or did Canon change design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2012
Parallacs said:
Sorry OP if the battery is fake, I got burned a few years back with a very convincing CF card.

A word of advice to everyone: Don't use Amazon or Ebay to buy any type of memory card/battery/filter.

Just assume that anything from a third party seller is fake. Assume anything from Hong Kong is fake. Even when your order is directly from Amazon, their system will sometimes use may different warehouses and distribution centers. These locations aren't guaranteed to have legit stock.

Ebay is just asking for counterfeit stock, don't even try.

Pretty much the only option for these type of items is either Adorama or BH.

AFAIK, some Canon authorized dealers are selling on the Ebay sometimes. So, ebay is not all the times EvilBay.

And I cannot agree with your assumption that "anything from Hong Kong is fake". Yes, I made my purchases at the Hong Kong Canon dealer. They are selling 100% genuine products and I am happy with them.

There are always risks purchasing on line. Quite a number of North American dishonest on-line stores sell counterfeited merchandises and grey market items without proper disclosure. Their operators and suppliers are from all over the world.

So, my suggestion is to buy from the authorized dealers direct and you don't have to waste your time and energy finding ways to recover your loss subsequently.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
unkbob said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Canon has changed packaging as well as whats printed on the batteryabout once a year. Three of my four are slightly different, each is a different age. The new batteries I bought form Adorama and Amazon (not a third party) have the correct hologram. The other two came with my 5D MK II and later 7D.

The original 5D Battery says made in Japan, then I have a made in China, and one that is part Japanese and part Chinese. One has a date on it, but the others are older and do not.

Do they all have the same colour plastic covers?
I have Canon batteries going back to the D30 that are 12 years old. I have not saved the covers from all those dozens of batteries I've owned, but the recent ones from the last 4 years are all the same yellow color. The older batteries might have had a different color cover, I know that the shell color of the BP-511 batteries changed several years ago.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
RC said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
...I have not saved the covers from all those dozens of batteries I've owned...
Curious, why do you not keep the battery covers? Don't you use them to indicate charged or discharged and of course for protection?
You have battery covers for 12 year old batteries that are long gone?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.