Is Canon actually going to launch RF-S lenses alongside the Canon EOS R7?

Jul 16, 2012
Really? Canon EOS 7D DSLR Camera with 18-135mm Kit @ USD1694
Yes, the 7Dii body only has been discontinued but if someone really wants/needs a 7D then the cost of the kit lens would be negligible
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680674-GREY/Canon_3814B016_EOS_7D_Digital_SLR.html
There’s two entries for the 7d, one as discontinued one as not. Given it’s the only entry it might be an oversight, particularly given the 7d II models are all listed as being discontinued. Edit: the one for sale is listed as Bh warranty only so presumably their own stock.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon

It's german but a serious source:

Quote:
Buy if you already own a Canon 100-400mm L?

The Canon 100-400mm L Mark I or Canon 100-400mm L Mark II does not come close to the 600mm of the Sigma with a maximum of 400mm. The difference is clearly visible in many motifs. If you upgrade the Canon with a 1.4x teleconverter, the image results will be similar, but the aperture will be lacking. This means that the AF is usually slower if it is supported by the camera at all. However, the TK solution should be sufficient for subjects that allow sufficient time and where you can focus manually. In this respect, we cannot answer unequivocally with yes or no.

A draw for a lens which is much cheaper (not to mention the additional TC) is impressive. The Canon is not "out resolving" and (with TC) the AF is definetly not better (rather worse)!
Given the wording, I think that was written in the day of the DSLR. The R5/R6 change the AF balance in favor of the 100-400 with a 1.4x.

Upvote 0
There’s two entries for the 7d, one as discontinued one as not. Given it’s the only entry it might be an oversight, particularly given the 7d II models are all listed as being discontinued. Edit: the one for sale is listed as Bh warranty only so presumably their own stock.
I agree. Probably only B&H excess stock. Being still available is saying something though :)

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
Given the wording, I think that was written in the day of the DSLR. The R5/R6 change the AF balance in favor of the 100-400 with a 1.4x.
It was indeed ...
It's possible that AF will perform better on R5 (compared to which DSLR?). But it's also possible (and likely) that if AF will improve on R5, it will also improve AF of the Sigma. Both lenses are adapted therefore I don't see any hint why the Canon would perform better than the Sigma. It's just speculation. You don't know, and I don't know.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
I never used the 150-600mm lenses from Sigma or Tamron, but I have had two copies of the Sigma 100-400mm, and both were quite soft at 400mm. While not a scientific test, I did compare my Sigmas with my EF 70-300mm non-L Canon lens, and the Canon lens shot at 300mm and cropped to the same FOV, out-resolved the Sigma at 400mm. So, while forum users seem so hung up on specs and numbers, sometimes things are not as you would expect. There's no question in my mind that the Canon RF 100-500 is a vastly superior lens than any of the 150-600mm lenses that are out there. Sometimes 500 is a higher number than 600!
It's more than 3 times the price of the Sigma and also a native (is this term right?) lens. Would be a shame if it wouldn't perform better. The question is: Does the better performance justify the huge price difference? I don't know. I tried to figure it out, but didn't find any serious information about a comparison. If you find, feel free to tell me ... Thank you!

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
So you'd advise Toyota to stop making the Camry to eliminate a production line? Lol. I hope you don't actually run a business, unless it's a sole proprietorship where your decisions only affect you.
Well, as you well aware of, many car manufactures use the same platform for many cars, each with its own different specification and target. I don't see, even Toyota, building two different cars targeting the exact same market spot. The cars that Toyota makes, share many components between them, to reduce manufacturing and spare parts production reducing the number of assembly lines allows you to be very flexible in your over all manufacturing, you can shift parts from one line to another without cost, thus, address customer needs with short response time.

As a matter of fact, I do run a busyness, and in my production line there are three products, each target different customers and, to your surprise, to reduce costs, they share many parts between them. There is no point in two similar products that just compete for the same market.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
To add fuel to the fire.

This just leaves the M50mkii and M200 in the M stable, both a lower tired camera to the M6mkii. Does it mean the end of the road for M? We don't know. But it does suggest that Canon could be realigning where M sits in the marketplace. Perhaps it will be rebranded as a bloggers/consumer system that want something better than a smartphone but easy to use. Enthusiasts who want a higher end mirrorless camera where the M6mkii sat could be redirected to a potential APSC R system. It does all depend on pricing. I also wonder how many M6mkii users will be willing to reinvest in a new system (assuming RF-S is not EF-M compatible) if they want the latest and greatest.

It could of course also suggest a replacement top tier M camera incoming - perhaps the mythical M5 replacement. But at this point, I really doubt it.

EDIT: I also understand the M50mkii is difficult to purchase in Europe, according to a thread on DPR. This could of course be related to chip shortages. But it's worth considering regarding its future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As a matter of fact, I do run a busyness, and in my production line there are three products, each target different customers and, to your surprise, to reduce costs, they share many parts between them. There is no point in two similar products that just compete for the same market.
Good for you. Feel free to discontinue one of your domestically most popular product lines to save costs. After all, it’s your busyness.

One production line and three products. It does sound like you run a busyness, not a business.

Canon’s business is worth >$30B and spans a wide array of industries and product lines. I suspect they know just a little bit more about how to run a business than you do.

Upvote 0
One production line and three products. It does sound like you run a busyness, not a business.
To be fair, it's not uncommon to produce more than one product on a single production line, especially if they share common elements. It can be more cost-effective to quickly retool for runs of different products than to run 3 completely separate production lines.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Good for you. Feel free to discontinue one of your domestically most popular product lines to save costs. After all, it’s your busyness.

Canon’s business is worth >$30B and spans a wide array of industries and product lines. I suspect they know just a little bit more about how to run a business than you do.
As a matter of fact, the new insight from Canon is that the stop developing the M line. As they did to the D line and EF glass.

There is one thing to be happy and wish that things we like will continue to be made into the future, than busyness decisions companies are doing despite our own wishes. Did you see the note saying canon abandons the next M series camera? Canon does not follow OUR wishes and our "logic". They sold thousands of EF lenses, if they follow your logic, they won't stop doing so, but they develop mirrorless cameras, with new mount, and from that point they stopped making EF glass, despite my own wish that they will replace, for example, the 50mm f1.4 ... I wished they wold make 32MP 7D mark III, but they didn't, why, cause someone in Canon made the decision FOR CANON. And since an APS-C RF camera is going to happen, the M class which is exactly the same thing, seems, even to Canon, something they should not continue manufacturing. As much as the AE-1 was successful, and for years it was the best selling camera canon ever made, when they change to EOS cameras, and EF glass, they stopped making it. You can continue to argue that the M line was the most selling product, but, according to Canon, the M days are over, as they did to the EF, and FD before.

Time changes, you can't relay on the past to continue. And as it seems, Canon decided to stop the M series.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
To be fair, it's not uncommon to produce more than one product on a single production line, especially if they share common elements. It can be more cost-effective to quickly retool for runs of different products than to run 3 completely separate production lines.
Of course not, but you missed my point. @masterpix stated his business has a production line. One.

Canon has far more lines, and has been engaged in manufacturing for longer than he’s been alive (unless he’s at least an octogenarian).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As a matter of fact, the new insight from Canon is that the stop developing the M line.
Where was that stated? The topic here is that in just two unnamed countries, Canon has supposedly decided to stop selling one camera in the M lineup, and that one camera is the most expensive one in a line targeting the low end of the market. Somehow you decide that means Canon has stopped development of the M line. It is possible that they have, but unlikely. This topic on a rumor site is certainly not evidence that has occurred.

Seems like your ability to understand facts is on par with your business acumen.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
It was indeed ...
It's possible that AF will perform better on R5 (compared to which DSLR?). But it's also possible (and likely) that if AF will improve on R5, it will also improve AF of the Sigma. Both lenses are adapted therefore I don't see any hint why the Canon would perform better than the Sigma. It's just speculation. You don't know, and I don't know.
Well, I have an R5, a Tamron 150-600, a number of other Sigma lenses, and a 100-400 L II. I have observed that the 100-400 AF clearly outperforms the Tammy, and Sigma lenses, in spite of the fact that many have sterling optics, are notoriously inconsistent when it comes to AF. Also, the adaption of the 100-400 on an R5 is on a mechanical adoption. The R5 perfectly executes EF protocol. The 3rd party lenses are all reverse engineered, and as such, none of them "perfectly" understand EF protocol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
Well, I have an R5, a Tamron 150-600, a number of other Sigma lenses, and a 100-400 L II. I have observed that the 100-400 AF clearly outperforms the Tammy, and Sigma lenses, in spite of the fact that many have sterling optics, are notoriously inconsistent when it comes to AF. Also, the adaption of the 100-400 on an R5 is on a mechanical adoption. The R5 perfectly executes EF protocol. The 3rd party lenses are all reverse engineered, and as such, none of the "perfectly" understand EF protocol.
You have "other Sigma lenses". Most reviews claim the Sigma @600mm is sharper than the Tamron @600mm. So when the "3rd party lenses are all reverse engineered" it shouldn't make a difference if they are mounted on EF or adapted on RF. Or the other way round: It shouldn't make a difference if the Canon is mounted on EF or adapted on RF.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...The Canon 100-400mm L Mark I or Canon 100-400mm L Mark II does not come close to the 600mm of the Sigma with a maximum of 400mm. The difference is clearly visible in many motifs. If you upgrade the Canon with a 1.4x teleconverter, the image results will be similar, but the aperture will be lacking. This means that the AF is usually slower if it is supported by the camera at all. However, the TK solution should be sufficient for subjects that allow sufficient time and where you can focus manually. In this respect, we cannot answer unequivocally with yes or no...
When I owned DSLRs, I often used the Sigma Contemporary because it "fooled" my Canons into thinking it was an f5.6 lens, which meant a range of autofocus points. The 100-400 II with a 1.4x teleconverter was read by the camera as an f8 lens and that meant fewer autofocus points. (With the 7DII it meant just a single center point).

Now that I am using mirrorless bodies, that's no longer an issue and I sold my Sigma. Personally, I always found the lens to be sharp and not noticeably different than the 100-400 with a 1.4 converter. But, the 100-500 is much lighter, shorter and easier to handheld, and the 100mm difference is not as significant as 200mm.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
You have "other Sigma lenses". Most reviews claim the Sigma @600mm is sharper than the Tamron @600mm. So when the "3rd party lenses are all reverse engineered" it shouldn't make a difference if they are mounted on EF or adapted on RF. Or the other way round: It shouldn't make a difference if the Canon is mounted on EF or adapted on RF.
Unfortunately, "shouldn't" is no guarantee. Very often, over the years, many of the Tammy and Sigma lenses have had to be updated to support even new SLR bodies. DPAF is a whole new game and I have several of the older Sigma and Tammy lenses that simply quit when attached to any of the Canon mirrorless cameras (M or R) or SLRs with DPAF in live mode. Some were upgradeable either by console or mail-in, and some were not. One that was is the Tammy 150-600, but without the update (which took over a year to develop) the lens simply did not function on any camera in DPAF mode. So far I haven't encountered any Canon EF lenses that don't work correctly on the mirrorless bodies (albeit one did need an update to perform optimally). The point is that reverse engineering can unwind what protocol is being currently used, but it cant easily (if at all) predict features that were designed in from the outset but never used. Canon, however knows exactly what the intent of the protocol is and occasionally they have had to issue firmware updates to lenses. One that comes to mind is the EF-s 55-250 when attached to an M camera. Canon issued an update that was implementable from the camera, but only when the lens was mounted on an M camera.

And yes, I think the Sigma Contemporary 150-600 is a bit sharper than the Tammy, but still not as sharp as the EF-100-400 II with a 1.4x III tc. https://www.the-digital-picture.com...meraComp=963&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=7&APIComp=0 The resolution difference isn't huge, but I haven't seen any Sigma lens that can match the AF performance of the 100-400. I am not suggesting the Sigma is "bad" as both the Sigma and the Tammy are very useful lenses. They just don't match the performance of the 100-400 L II in sharpness, AF, IS, or weather sealing, but that shouldn't be a surprise at half the price. Because they have larger objective lenses, they do let in a bit more light and that is critical on an SLR, particularly a lower end one that won't AF at f/8, but that advantage is all but lost on an R or even a current M body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, to be a bit more precise, Canon produces flagship cameras with fast shutter speeds for fast moving ACTION, which does cover sports, wildlife and many other genres where the subjects are not static, but are moving. :)
Indeed. Though you never hear about flagship camera bodies being released in time for a fashion show or an F1 race. It's always the Olympics.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
It's more than 3 times the price of the Sigma and also a native (is this term right?) lens. Would be a shame if it wouldn't perform better. The question is: Does the better performance justify the huge price difference? I don't know. I tried to figure it out, but didn't find any serious information about a comparison. If you find, feel free to tell me ... Thank you!
I was referring to the Canon NON-L EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 II lens that sells for $599, not the L lens. The non-L consumer level EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 II outperformed (in sharpness) the Sigma 100-400 at 300mm cropped to the same FOV as the Sigma at 400mm, at least in my experience with the 2 Sigma lenses I briefly owned.

Upvote 0