Is the upcoming 50mm F/2 IS USM for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
SwampYankee said:
.. a 2.5 with 1/2 frame macro, and sharp, for $500 was a good reason. So I bought one of those too. I'm really hoping for a hyper-sharp 1.4 with IS that does not break the bank.

I moved into the EOS system almost 10 years ago, and have been waiting for Canon to update the 50/1.4 all this time. Glad I haven't been holding my breath. I also have the 50/2.5 CM (I must be a SwampYankee, and just didn't know it ...), although I paid a heck of a lot less than $500 for it. I bought it specifically for a product photography gig, and was satisfied enough with it to keep it. The buzzy AFM focus motor is an amusing departure from the ring USM rigs in all my other lenses.

I used to own an 85/1.8 and loved it, selling it only after getting a 100/f2.8L IS Macro. I didn't know that the 85/1.8 was released a year before the 50/1.4, and was surprised to learn that. Makes you wonder why they put that weird quasi-USM motor into the 50/1.4 in the first place.

If Canon ever produces a 50/1.4-2.0 with true ring USM, I'd be willing to pay up to $500 for one, and would probably sell my 50/2.5 CM once satisfied with the new glass. I don't care if it has IS or not, although I agree with many here that it probably will. I also realize that to get one for $500, I might have to wait a while (years) for the price to come down. But not having one in my kit really isn't hampering my photography any.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
SwampYankee said:
If Canon ever produces a 50/1.4-2.0 with true ring USM, I'd be willing to pay up to $500 for one, and would probably sell my 50/2.5 CM once satisfied with the new glass. I don't care if it has IS or not, although I agree with many here that it probably will. I also realize that to get one for $500, I might have to wait a while (years) for the price to come down. But not having one in my kit really isn't hampering my photography any.

+1

I've heard this from many people. The 50 prime is just such a useful length / well-rounded tool that people will gladly go up the ladder price-wise for a better offering.

- A

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012
ahsanford said:
Again, not a rumor -- just a certainty. 8)

This lens absolutely will happen in the near future (next 12-18 months).

"Near future"... I like that...as for me, in the near future, I am hoping to have Jetson-style flying cars released...and I define near future as few years, but over the course of this thread I plan to specify that to be about 5 to 30 years. Also, with 12-18 months you give yourself a rather wide berth there and one would hope it is tough to miss such a generous timeline. ;)

But the irony might very well be that Canon's obduracy outlasts even your safer, longer, 18 month prediction.

It seems to me that Canon is focusing on opening up and expanding into newer, high end venues that were not even around a decade ago...such as mega-K cine platforms and its cameras and lens needs as an example.

Right now Canon has four 50mm models in its dSLR line up ...and their logic would be, though each has its own group of complainers and champions, there is plenty to choose from. I don't see Canon hurrying it up...in the "near future". However, I do not doubt that the 50mm's will be updated sooner or later (see I am being "high risk" just like you). ;)

But all kidding aside, I will be cheering along with you should your prediction come true and may even consider buying the damn lens. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.