Lightroom 12.3 claims to have AI noise reduction

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
From https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/whats-new/2023-3.html#denoise
Reducing noise from your images just got easier with AI-powered Denoise. You can now enhance photos taken with high ISO settings by eliminating noise efficiently. With this addition to the Detail panel in Lightroom, you can now reduce noise automatically and manually.
Only works on proper RAW files, which have a Bayer or X-trans pattern. So no linear DNGs, TIFFs or m/sRAW.

I've used it on Wedding Photos from this spring up to ISO 10000, and the important fact is it did a better job than I could do and allot quicker...
I've not tired it on my Mac book yet, but my PC moans (all the fans kick in) when I run the de-noise!

Get's the nod from me as someone who does not want to waste too much time..

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I've just started playing with it - and initial reaction is that I'm pretty impressed. I've only tried single images (ie not batches) and the first was slowwww, but it seemed to get quicker as I tried more pictures (all with the same body/lens combination), so there may be some actual 'learning' going on. When I get a good candidate and some time, I'll try it against Topaz Photo AI. It's miles better than the historical Adobe NR function though.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Haven't had time to do my own direct comparisons - but here is a review (v DXO) from the revitalised DPR:

Hint: the Adobe version is pretty good (much better than previous), not as good as DXO in fine detail, and slow and clunky from a performance point of view (ie like pretty much everything Adobe releases ...). So, useful to have, but not best in class.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I've noticed that on some textures, like frog skin, Dxo DeepPrimeXD will replace the noisy texture with something that looks like a Hilbert Curve. The resulting robotic space frog looks nice, but very artificial.

As for speed, DxO PL takes about 12 seconds per R5 RAW for denoise+optical correction, LR takes about 15 seconds per R5 RAW for denoising. So it's not a huge difference on my Mac Studio.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Really quick example - I was processing some shots from my recent trip to Madrid, which included a very brief look into an early 18th century wine cellar (which was basically pitch black).

The below (1/125, f/4.0, ISO 4000) are pushed 4 stops (and WB corrected), but not much else. The enhanced version (hint: on the right!) is (nearly) noise free at 100%, and to me usable. It took about 30 seconds to process. Actually, pretty impressed:

Test wine cellar original (v small).jpgTest wine cellar enhanced (v small).jpg
Edit: here is a pretty-much automated version from Topaz Photo AI:
Test wine cellar Topaz (v small).jpg
Pixel peeping at the Topaz version, there is less (ie nil) noise, but a noticeable amount of detail has gone. And I can't adjust the WB on the Topaz dng without getting a strange result. I prefer the LR in this case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Really quick example - I was processing some shots from my recent trip to Madrid, which included a very brief look into an early 18th century wine cellar (which was basically pitch black).

The below (1/125, f/4.0, ISO 4000) are pushed 4 stops (and WB corrected), but not much else. The enhanced version (hint: on the right!) is (nearly) noise free at 100%, and to me usable. It took about 30 seconds to process. Actually, pretty impressed:

View attachment 210115View attachment 210116
Edit: here is a pretty-much automated version from Topaz Photo AI:
View attachment 210117
Pixel peeping at the Topaz version, there is less (ie nil) noise, but a noticeable amount of detail has gone. And I can't adjust the WB on the Topaz dng without getting a strange result. I prefer the LR in this case.
What is the result of processing the RAW in LR to a jpg without noise reduction but with right WB and then applying Topaz Denoise? I only ever use Topaz as a last step on jpegs as it seems deficient as a RAW converter, and DxO is my preferred converter.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
What is the result of processing the RAW in LR to a jpg without noise reduction but with right WB and then applying Topaz Denoise? I only ever use Topaz as a last step on jpegs as it seems deficient as a RAW converter, and DxO is my preferred converter.
I'll try that - but disappointed in the Topaz dng output based on the RAW image.

Upvote 0