Macro shots.

A

Alumina

Hey Everyone! I'd like to show off my work a tiny bit. Anyone with tips and advice is welcome! (but don't be mean :( ) and please bear in mind that I'm only photographing since November 2011, and only had a macro lens since February this year. Everything is shot with a Rebel t3i and a 100mm f/2.8 USM lens (the 500dollar one)

This shot is one that I'm the most proud of :D
___a_little_bit_of_paradise____by_xfirescorpion-d4xu7rp.jpg

___honeybee____by_xfirescorpion-d50h1qb.jpg

___climbing_the_world____by_xfirescorpion-d4zfxtf.jpg

___pink_princess____by_aluminaphotography-d52gqbj.jpg

7313501450_ec0bbc20fd.jpg

___hello__world_____by_xfirescorpion-d4xifyx.jpg

___pink_blossoms____by_xfirescorpion-d4wvqbt.jpg

cat_1.jpg

And I have lots more, but lets not make a huge topic here. I hope to get some feedback from you guys!

You can find more of my work here:
Deviantart
Flickr
My Website

Overall, you have a good eye for compostion. There will always be some difference of opinion, but generally, I think they all work. They also look sharp on the small versions, which is always the key to a good macro shot. One thing I will say though, is watch you don't overdo do it in post porocessing. One or two look a little oversharpened and some of the saturation is a little high. Sometimes you want the oversaturated look for artistic purposes, but often less is more, particularly in natural history. I find sometimes that a contrast boost (using curves) gives too much saturation and have to tone that down afterwards.

Upvote 0
A

Alumina

Kernuak said:
Overall, you have a good eye for compostion. There will always be some difference of opinion, but generally, I think they all work. They also look sharp on the small versions, which is always the key to a good macro shot. One thing I will say though, is watch you don't overdo do it in post porocessing. One or two look a little oversharpened and some of the saturation is a little high. Sometimes you want the oversaturated look for artistic purposes, but often less is more, particularly in natural history. I find sometimes that a contrast boost (using curves) gives too much saturation and have to tone that down afterwards.

Thank you! I tend to agree with you. I recently got a calibrated monitor and the amount of saturation etc is getting a bit to me. It didn't show it to me on my last monitor as it does on this one, so I'm definitely watching that. Sharpening I don't do though, so I can't do anything about that :p

Thank you so much for your feedback, really appreciate it!

Upvote 0