microadjustment advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bryanwolfmd

SteenerMe said:
I am shooting the 5D3 and get sharp shots most of the time but only get sick, tack unreal sharp shots say 1 of 50 if not more. Is this a need to microadjust?

I completely understand what you're talking about. I've been meaning to microadjust for this very reason. I do suspect a lot of my troubles are related to shooting at long shutter speeds. But I have a 5D3 and 70-200 2.8II, and rarely do I get a picture that I believe competes with magazine quality sharpness. I also suspect other photogs do much more post processing including sharpening than I do. I've only recently gotten involved in that practice, and I don't see heavily investing myself in that sort of activity any time soon. Anyways, let us know what happens with FoCal. I haven't wanted to spend the money, but microadjusting without a program seems like quite a chore.

Upvote 0
bryanwolfmd said:
SteenerMe said:
I am shooting the 5D3 and get sharp shots most of the time but only get sick, tack unreal sharp shots say 1 of 50 if not more. Is this a need to microadjust?

but microadjusting without a program seems like quite a chore.

I've used the LensAlign MkII. I was pretty pleased with the results, however, it wasn't as easy to setup. I wanna see what others have to say about the FoCal Pro.. If it's as easy as everyone claims.. I'll probably get it once the 1DX is supported.

Upvote 0
Jamesy said:
Does the FoCal software tell you what parameters to put in the camera once its tests are complete?

Yep. The software will tell you the optimal MA point. Its really quite easy. I just used the software with a friend on his 5DIII and even though the test was not fully automatic and you needed to adjust the MA manually before each test shot it was still very easy and the final test results are just as accurate.

All versions of FoCal will find the correct MA. The Pro one will give you more IQ data on how it arrives at the optimal AFMA. And you will have nifty charts like the one below:

Canon 1DIV+600mm Lens (NON IS) Mounted on WH200 + Gitzo Systematic Caron Tripod

Attachments

• focal-chart.jpg
    focal-chart.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 724
Upvote 0
Astro said:
well if you call that working then it might be so.
i call it pretty useless if you adjust for just one end of the focal length.... :eek:

Great. If you think it is useless then I certainly don't recommend getting it for yourself.

I have a 70-200 f4, 24-105, 17-40 zoom lenses and focal has worked like a charm for me on my 1DIV and 5DII.

If you are like me (which I am not saying you are) I tend to shoot at the max end of my focal length on my tele zooms. Because I shoot here 90% of the time then it makes sense to calibrate my lens for the longer focal length. If you are a shooter who uses the short end of the focal length often you could just calibrate it for the short end using FoCal, remember the MA setting, and change it manually when you are going to shoot at that shorter focal distance.

I have the MA adjustment menu on my custom functions menu on my camera so I can easily adjust the MA on the fly. FoCal will help you determine the optimal MA setting for any focal lenght and you can simply change it as needed if you are using using a specific range on your zoom lens.

Also, at very short focal lengths, unless you are shooting really really close to your subject.... the wide depth of field renders the MA argument moot. If you are shooting at subjects very close to the minimum focusing distance then it is VERY important that the optimal MA setting be accurate at that short focal length.

Every shooter uses their gear differently and for me, FoCal has been priceless. We have only begun to scratch the surface of the uses of this software in this thread. I have done testing to compare WH200 setups to sidekicks, hand placement locations to mitigate vibration, etc....

Just make sure you shoot in a controlled environment with a consistent light source. I shoot indoors with two 500 watt floodlights on my target. The literature with the software explains all of this very clearly.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.