Multiple APS-C Sensor PowerShot Cameras Coming? [CR2]

Oct 10, 2015
snoke said:
okaro said:
I doubt it would make any sense to try to put APS-C sensor in these small cameras.

Phone eat low end of market. Better picture/camera require to sell small camera.

There is no comparison between phones, and cameras with zoom and one inch (16 mm) sensor. Best phones typipically have some 7 mm sensor and fixed wide angle lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
okaro said:
snoke said:
okaro said:
I doubt it would make any sense to try to put APS-C sensor in these small cameras.

Phone eat low end of market. Better picture/camera require to sell small camera.

There is no comparison between phones, and cameras with zoom and one inch (16 mm) sensor. Best phones typipically have some 7 mm sensor and fixed wide angle lens.

Yes, there's no comparison at all...except in the minds of consumers. The convenience of a smartphone camera far outweighs the larger sensor and zoom lens, as you can clearly see from the tanked sales of low-end P&S cameras.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
neuroanatomist said:
Yes, there's no comparison at all...except in the minds of consumers. The convenience of a smartphone camera far outweighs the larger sensor and zoom lens, as you can clearly see from the tanked sales of low-end P&S cameras.

Cameras with one inch sensor are hardly low end. The shipments of compact cameras in January-July are up by 13.5% in numbers and 26.6% in value. The mean price of a compact camera was 16 900 yen when in 2012 it was just 9200 yen.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
As for 4K, it can be implemented on almost anything. However, a quality implementation is a different story. We went thru the same discussion several years ago with 2K. There were cheap implementations that were shams, but many bought into them based on the 2k specification without really knowing they were not getting a quality implementation. That's when the 5D MK II blew them all away.

Things are a bit different now, there are some good quality 4K cameras out there along with the sham devices.

Agreed.

These days Canon is always "late to the party" but they make a grand entrance.
I expect the 7D3 and 90D to put some very real pressure on the "Stills+Video" market. Most 4K implementations are not great, there's lots of room for Canon to come in and shake things up.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Can't argue with the convenience factor. I had my iPhone with me last night, and no other camera. I went to a women's volleyball game last night against UGa. When I arrived I saw that the bleachers across from me were removed, some still stacked on the floor, in anticipation of real seats. I wanted a picture to post on line for the basketball fans who were wondering the status of that update. The focal length of the iPhone was perfect for that.

Then as we were one point away from winning the first set, the men's basketball players sitting in the east end zone stood up to cheer, with most holding up one finger. I knew that was a picture the basketball fans would especially enjoy. The guys were very far away, and I had no zoom lens. I took the picture anyway, and cropped it mercilessly when i got home. It made a 1000-pixel-wide passable picture on the internet. People could recognize the players.

I'm sure practically all of us could relate incidents like that. I think it is great that we always have some sort of camera with us at all times, no matter how much wonderful photo equipment is back at the house. In this case, the iPhone was adequate for the purpose, and maybe for a lot of consumers it is adequate for most purposes. I could have easily had the G7X II in my pocket, but thought of no reason to take it. I knew there would be pros there photographing the game, so I didn't need to. I just wanted to watch the game and hang out with other fans I know. In fact, when I cropped the picture of the players, I left in the photographer up on a ladder above them, and also got the bottom of the scoreboard showing the context.

Upvote 0
Seems like a no brainer as the G3X and G5X kind of fizzled compared to Sony.

Canon Rumors said:
We know that the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III will be coming soon, though an exact date is unknown. One of the big changes rumoured in the new G1 X is the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-powershot-g1-x-mark-ii-specifications-cr1/">use of a 24mp APS-C sized sensor instead of the 1.5″</a> in the current G1 X.</p>
<p>We’re being told that there will be more APS-C sized sensor PowerShot cameras coming and that the G1 X Mark III is first, and then we’ll get a G3 X Mark II and a G5 X Mark II. The source is not sure if the smaller G series PowerShot cameras like the G9 X and G7 X will move to APS-C.</p>

<p>There was no mention as to whether or not the new PowerShot cameras would get 4K recording, which is something we obviously get asked a lot. Our hunch on the topic? I think Canon has to add 4K to at least a few of the models.</p>
<p>As <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/buyers-guide-category/powershot/">you can see on our buyer’s guide</a>, the upper end of the PowerShot G series lineup is starting to look quite long-in-the-tooth.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

Upvote 0