need an upgrade from 40d, can't decide: 5D 3, 70D (when available), 7D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zg08 said:
rh81photo said:
Hey guys,
I'm in the same boat. I think my 40D is a nice camera and I only could wish for minor improvements. What I would want is: better AF(more points, higher point sensitivity), 7fps, AFMA, cleaner low ISO with nice DR, High ISO usable to 6400, a usable autoISO implementation. I don't need 18mp, I would have been happy with 16ish....(my wishes sound alot like a 50D)

The 6D comes close in certain respects. If the 6D would cost 1500EUR it would be priced in a way that I would think about buying it. It would be expensive still then because it doesn't fulfill all my wishes. Great IQ but seemingly not usable for sports (Volleyball)

The 5DmkIII is much closer to what I would want but it's much more expensive and thus out of range.

The 7D is a bargain at the moment but would be an Investment into a camera that is (although better than the 40D in many many respects) already 'old'. nothing wrong with the cam, just an odd investment...

I will wait until the 70D gets revealed...if it's underwhelming then I will wait what the 7DmkII brings...oh gosh I plan to wait so much :(
at a certain point it would be better to buy a used 50D and be happy....

cheers
:)

i feel your pain.

having the exact same thoughts in regards to waiting for a new model and is it worth it...7D tight now is a bargain for sure....costs less than my 40D was when I first got it....but the "old" factor is a big turnoff for me, although it's hard to say if that's a reasonable concern or not.

yep. I have shot with a 7D from a friend briefly...nice handling, I really like it. but what spooks me is the low iso banding that makes it less nice for low ISO shooting. and the high ISO improvements are there...they are just not that much of an improvement to justify buying the 7D. thank god there will be a nice MagicLantern version for the 7D available...I haven't done video yet, but the option to do it with ML would be nice, so thanks A1ex and ML team for that!
The thing is: Canons recent record of new Cameras is a little awkward. My fear is that the 70D and 7DmkII will also just NOT be what I want (I think thats very likely) and thus I will then be contemplating whether to buy a much more expensive camera...well...that is seemingly their marketing strategy though....ugh :-\

I will read the other thread later that day...thanks for the link!

cheers

Upvote 0
I have a 40d. I have 24-70L, 70-200IIL, 100mm, and 16-35L what about upgrading to a 1dx? I like the AF and low light performance. Yeah its big money but i am saving up.
Or is that to much of a jump. I am looking for the burst of a 40D, but really need good low light performance and better AF, more cross section points.

7d, 6d. I did rent the mark III to be honest i was not to happy with the feel, i did day shoots of soccer. So i did not push the camera, but for the money it just does not feel solid. So i thought to think about the 1 dx.

or wait till 2014.

thanks

any advice

as you can see its my first post, i have been trolling but first post. As you can see a newbie

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.