New 1D series blew out my arm!

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
NancyP said:
My well-loved 400 f/5.6L and an APS-C body (60D formerly, now 7D2) fits reasonably well on a Cotton Carrier vest, allowing me to use hiking poles or an extended monopod as single hiking pole on steeper or muddier sections of a hike. Any longer than 10" lens, I would be having trouble walking due to lens hitting legs (I am short-waisted). It is a fun lens to use, particularly if you like to hand-hold and shoot birds in flight. It did a commendable job for the eclipse, too. The lens/body balance is good when using a consumer body as I do. I imagine that the Big Whites probably handle better on the 1D series bodies, both for balance and for speed of focus (more grams of glass to push around, needing more voltage from battery than provided by LP-E6).

Everything I've ever read/heard about that 400 is positive and it's not a new lens either. It is true that there is a balance factor that matters, not just weight but a big lens and big camera certainly is (too) heavy.

Funny, it just registered; I'm about 5'9 before shrinking, with 29 inch pant leg so that means my upper body is longer and obviously that's helping me since I don't have the issue you raise. However, I keep my strap as short as possible for tension when I'm shooting. I never hang a camera "around" my neck.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
A sad reality for those of us getting up in years or those who have had injuries. Giving up is not nice so work arounds such as lighter gear is very important assuming technique can't be modified. I have my fingers crossed for now.

I like to hike, while my shooting buddy, now deceased, couldn't walk 100 yards. It made me ever so thankful I still have my legs. For those with issues, my sympathies and encouragement to keep trying.

Jack

Upvote 0
Perio said:
I love 1d series cameras, as they have amazingly comfortable grip. So, even though it's heavier than 5d series, the handling is very comfortable and easy.
Me too. Just come back from a CPS landscape event in the New Forest (UK) and had my 1DX2 plus a loaner 5DIV to use. No complaints about the 5 series but the 1D just balances perfectly on the grip.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi canon1dxman.
I was there too, evening (what sunset?) shoot, borrowed the 17mm TS-E, had great fun trying to get my head around that beast, started to get the hang of it towards the end of the day.
Met some interesting people there too.
I have never done an event like this before and I thought it was excellent, lectures, transport to and from shooting locations, food and loan gear all laid on for free.

Cheers, Graham.

canon1dxman said:
Just come back from a CPS landscape event in the New Forest (UK) and had my 1DX2 plus a loaner 5DIV to use. No complaints about the 5 series but the 1D just balances perfectly on the grip.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Valvebounce said:
Hi Jack.
Accrue enough gear points (European route in to CPS) be amongst the first to respond yes to the mass email campaign asking if you would like to attend! :)

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Wow, how do I sign up? :)

Jack

And then I have to fly to England? :eek: ;)

However, my son is now studying in London, so .... dream on.

Jack

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
dslrdummy said:
If I'm going to be shooting at a location for any extended period (i.e. like your wild cat centre), I always have it on a shoulder strap and use a monopod whenever possible. I'm slightly built and have never had any arm/elbow issues.

I think the monopod is a good idea but I don't like neck straps. If you mean something like a blackrapid, that is a good idea.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Ethanz.
Yes Britain is smaller than the USA, but we think nothing of bitching and moaning about driving a couple of hundred miles! :)
CPS do scatter the events around the country so that we don't have to bitch and moan too much. ;D

Cheers, Graham.

ethanz said:
England is a bit smaller than USA or Canada. CPS America would have a hard time putting on an event where you could attend. Probably makes it nicer for CPS England people.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
When I had to hand hold a 7D2 with a 500 f/4 IS II on a boat for one to two hours (but of course not continuously) I felt slight fatigue when moving it for a couple of months. After this I started using much more my 400 DO II and took the 500 only when a car was available. But even so I used again on a boat but I had also taken a tripod with gimbal. Although it proved to be a rather big set and not so practical it saved my hand. Some of the rest of the shots were made by resting the lens on the boat side (when it was not moving) and only a few shots were shot handheld.

But the trick is to always use the lens strap for the big (or not so big) white lenses. For a 70-200 2.8 or a 100-400 I believe the camera strap would be enough.

Upvote 0
To follow up, I finally got to try out the 5D4 last week on a short trip to San Diego Zoo and Safari Park. (The camera arrived a month ago but it sat unused for three weeks due to time constraints). It is perfect and a great upgrade - much thanks to those who pointed me in that direction. It has the focus tracking speed of my old 1D4 and the form factor and resolution (plus more) of my old 5D3. I used it most of the time in AI Servo and it tracked subjects effortlessly. Here's a baby hippo to add some color to this thread.

Attachments

• 4T6A0684.JPG
    4T6A0684.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 423
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
brianftpc said:
Ive used the 1Dx and 1Dx mk2 since 2012...ive used it 12 hours in a day before. I used it 12 hours in a day for 5 straight days. The only thing that hurt was my finger pushing the shutter button so many times. I am 5ft 9 and weigh 145 pounds. Its not the cameras...you have something wrong with your body. I dont use a strap or monopod.

Sounds vaguely similar to me describing the things I lifted and carried and now at 68 ... oh, my poor aching back! ;) Actually, I'm not joking. These things have a way of coming back to haunt you.

BTW, I am now packing the 1DX2 with the 400 DO but with a strap over my shoulder and gimbal tripod mount I can lift with to assist my shoulder. It's not yet a problem but ...

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
brianftpc said:
...you have something wrong with your body. I dont use a strap or monopod.

If the increased weight of the camera resulted in a musculoskeletal damage, the underlying physiological reason is irrelevant. The fact is getting a heavier camera may have strained something and the answer is the same - downgrade the gear or do physiotherapy/stengthening exercises.

And their doesn't need to be 'something wrong' with his body just because he cannot manage the same weight a you - it may just be that his body has not got used to the particular physical requirements.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I shot a concert two nights in a row with a 5D IV and 70-200mm lens and ended up with a rotator cuff problem in my shoulder that took months to overcome.
I've used a monopod more often since and am conscious not to keep my arm extended for too long.
Its certainly something to be wary of.
Heavy gear can cause issues over time.

Upvote 0