Off Brand: Leica M Monochrom & Leica APO-Summicron 50 f/2 ASPH Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
SebastianK said:
while the double Gauss has flaws, it delivers very good performance even in basic designs. And the design here is not a classic double Gauss. The back part is quite different. Also, it's only f2, not very fast for a 50 mm. That plus the liberal use of expensive glass types should do it.
my guess is Canon could produce the same for 2k. it's just a matter of market.

If you look at MTF, you will find an extreme sharp lens at f/2. No canon 50mm lens is that sharp at f/2. Why should I buy a Canon lens with f/1.2, when the lens is not better at f/2 than the Leica one and realy smooth at f/1.2 ? The lens is expensive but outperfomes all other lenses. Zeiss Macro-Planar is the best at about 1.2K€ at 50mm f/2.

At times of more than 100 lines per mm at the sensor, Canon professional 50mm lenses are soft at 30 lines per mm wide open. Canon should show a lens with an mtf of 120 lines per mm if the lens ist ready for the actural sensor.

Upvote 0
Woody said:
Canon Rumors said:
Now’s the time Canon, lets see the worlds first full frame autofocus mirrorless camera! Consider it preordered.

That's precisely my sentiments as well. A full frame mirrorless camera is gonna ROCK. Throw in a good 40 MP sensor with wide dynamic range at low ISO and landscape photographers will be all over it. Cheap (no expensive pentaprism), light weight, good image quality... what's not to like?

No mirror, no fast autofocus. If we have fast autofocus using the chip, the chip gets warm and the ISO-level decreases. I like my EOS with fast AF. A 50mm f/2 with an aspherical lens for comparable image quality (ready for 30MP at f/2) is a must now! I hope, canon is working on it, i waiting for.

Upvote 0
Neeneko said:
AdamJ said:
If their new 50mm f2 is as good as they say, I'll be amazed that nobody has created such a good 50mm lens before. The double Gauss formula has been tinkered with for 100+ years and it has always had its flaws. Top build quality alone doesn't magically result in a near flawless lens so I'm intrigued to see what Leica has done differently.

Well, historically there have been a number of fantastic prototype lenses that never got off the ground due to issues related to manufacturing rather then 'can it be built', so it is plausible that they found a way to make them at a price point that works and maintains sufficient QC to be marketable.

Computing a 50mm with an asperical lens the calculation has much more parameters and i think you need new software with intelligent heuristics for optimization and more calculation power to get good results.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.