Off Brand: Panasonic Announces the Ultimate Hybrid DSLM With New 10.2MP High Sensitivity MOS sensor

Re: Off Brand: Panasonic Announces the Ultimate Hybrid DSLM With New 10.2MP High Sensitivity MOS sen

Jack Douglas said:
Neuro, I don't know why you bother responding. It's always the same clear will reasoned logic that obviously a lot of people can't understand or refuse to acknowledge.

There are good reasons to answer: first, some posters may simply not be aware that huge corporations have professional market analysis teams who do surveys, check the competition, etc. Once they're introduced to the idea that the interests they and their friends share may, actually, be a minority of the market, they can readjust their perspective.

The more important reason is for those who read the thread, but don't post; and this applies more to the younger folks without as much life experience. The earlier a person learns the difference between their personal preferences and universal truth, the better. I can't speak for Neuro, but when I post it's often not really directed to the poster, but to the younger people who might be misled by the poster's poor reasoning.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Re: Off Brand: Panasonic Announces the Ultimate Hybrid DSLM With New 10.2MP High Sensitivity MOS sen

transpo1 said:
The point is that 4K is becoming the norm for anyone trying to compete for pro work and clients in a competitive market.

Probably, but are those 4K pro works always filmed with DSLR, or with dedicated 4K video cameras?

I did a lot of "motion" in the film era, and today if ever I return to it I wouldn't think to use my DSLR - I would get a proper "motion" camera, with the required physical controls and connectors, on a practical body design, and the needed rigging opportunities.

It looks Canon has reason to think the same, and it's not trying to cram everything into a single product form factor.

Even this Panasonic looks to be a very specific device, not exactly an all-around one, despite its form factor.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

Orangutan said:
Jack Douglas said:
Neuro, I don't know why you bother responding. It's always the same clear will reasoned logic that obviously a lot of people can't understand or refuse to acknowledge.

There are good reasons to answer: first, some posters may simply not be aware that huge corporations have professional market analysis teams who do surveys, check the competition, etc. Once they're introduced to the idea that the interests they and their friends share may, actually, be a minority of the market, they can readjust their perspective.

The more important reason is for those who read the thread, but don't post; and this applies more to the younger folks without as much life experience. The earlier a person learns the difference between their personal preferences and universal truth, the better. I can't speak for Neuro, but when I post it's often not really directed to the poster, but to the younger people who might be misled by the poster's poor reasoning.

I'm fine with that but sometimes it appears futile. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Wasn't it John Maynard Keynes who famously said "in the long run we're all dead?" Everything is futile if your time horizon is long enough. ;D

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

Orangutan said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Wasn't it John Maynard Keynes who famously said "in the long run we're all dead?" Everything is futile if your time horizon is long enough. ;D

Only recently I'm beginning to realize my time line isn't nearly as long as I imagined. Never heeded my mother when she said, "don't grow old". Of course it's never futile to contribute to the good of mankind and CR is one place where it's easy to contribute in small but meaningful ways. :)

Jack

Jack

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal

Jack Douglas said:
Orangutan said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Only recently I'm beginning to realize my time line isn't nearly as long as I imagined. Never heeded my mother when she said, "don't grow old". Of course it's never futile to contribute to the good of mankind and CR is one place where it's easy to contribute in small but meaningful ways. :)

Jack

Jack
Funny you say that. I begin to realize that I am not as nearly as good as I thought I was. I mainly talked BS.
Will need to shoot more, talk less for now then begin to talk again. We will see if I will contribute to the good of mankind then.

Upvote 0

Canon has nothing to compete with the GH5s with the video specs it has and the price point. Nothing. It AFs better than the GH5 too. If you question the quality of the video it produces, then go look at the YT vids of which there are many. I am a Canon guy and I have many Canon cameras and camcorders, so don't consider me a troll. I will say it again, Canon has nothing to compete with it. I wish they did. Go look at the GH5s specs.

Upvote 0

bhf3737 said:
gsealy said:
I am not defending the GH5s AF. But the thing is you can't do a "set it and forget it" when it comes to AF. Two things happen even with Canon DPAF: 1.) you can get annoying hunting with some of the lens, and 2.) the camera might decide it wants to focus on something other than you want. Then your video is in big trouble. I prefer to acquire initial focus using AF, and then immediately turn it off. Then I know the camera won't do something I do not want it to do. Also, I can reframe the shot away from the focus area. I do this with my Canon Cinema cameras and the 5DIIIs. Yes, there are some situations when continuous AF is a nice thing such as when the subject is moving toward or away from you. But these can also be handled many times in more traditional ways such as figuring out the DOF beforehand or using focus pull. The bottom line with continuous AF is that you can't assume that the camera is thinking like you do.

Well it all depends on your use-case. Mine is recording classical concerts with two cameras from the back of hall. I use a XF400 and a C200. The first one takes on the whole stage and the second one is used for selective shots. I used GH5 in the place of C200 for a while and justification was that I might get better dynamic range because of extremely dark and bright stage. But GH5 was awful in acquiring focus for selective shots and was hunting a lot even with the native lenses using any imaginable mode and setting. Replacing GH5 with C200 has totally removed this hindrance. Now focus is always crisp on the performer's face and it can be changed with a single touch. I could do the same with two XF400 as well, if cost was an issue.
Don't take me wrong. GH5 is a very good video camera for a limited set of use cases (i.e. mostly handheld manually focused slow moving and isolated subjects in good light). It is not good for concerts, head-shot interviews that the subject moves, selfie video when the subject moves towards or away from camera, kids soccer game, etc. All because of the AF issues. It is well received by filmmakers who do not want/use AF anyway.

There are vids on YT that show that GH5s AF is much improved over the GH5. And of course, the GH5s addresses the low light issue. My main point is that sure the C200 is great, but cameras of that ilk are also $8-9K. The GH5s is at $2.5K. Quite a difference.

Upvote 0

gsealy said:
Canon has nothing to compete with the GH5s with the video specs it has and the price point. Nothing. It AFs better than the GH5 too. If you question the quality of the video it produces, then go look at the YT vids of which there are many. I am a Canon guy and I have many Canon cameras and camcorders, so don't consider me a troll. I will say it again, Canon has nothing to compete with it. I wish they did. Go look at the GH5s specs.

So I assume you'll buy one. Please report back how you like it.

Upvote 0