*Official* What improvements do you LIKE MOST in the 5D III and 1D X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
assuming things work as on paper:

the AF! actually a bit better than even I had hoped for
(they should make a second grip that takes a new battery that drives super-tele AF motor full speed, to complete the picture, then ;D ;D ;D ;D)

the 3x3 sampled video! (hope it is sharp though, early reports say the old GH2 looks sharper, but I think it is just because all we have seen is re-compressed and/or high ISO footage with strong NR so far)

the 6fps! (although 7fps woulda been nicer since they left it at the same 22MP), but 6fps is def better than 5 for sure and way better than 4

the improves shutter lag and mirror black out times!

the silent shutter mode without using liveview

the outline on the histogram!

the even better image reviewing

the hopefully solid, full 2/3 stop better high iso!

the wide/tele settings for MFA!

the 7D-like movie/stills mode flip switch (I just wish they kept shutter,iso,aperture, etc. settings for movie mode and for still separate, it's really a pain if you try to quickly go from a few stills to a little video and back when lighting conditions are changing, you waste so much time resetting everything, it can be really bad, plus for still during video, the same settings often are really poor for stills; maybe they did fix this???)

(negs: autoiso remarkably still bungled/crippled for no good reason, although the next matter more: the zero ISO 100 DR improvement (this one in particular :'(), no replacement view screens, no 30MP (this one too :'(, between this and the DR not one bit of better for low iso and/or distance work), the not amazing metering that is a bit out of date vs. competition, price a bit high)

Upvote 0
I'm moving from two 5D Mk Is... to a 5DIII and a 1DX so I'm expecting huge improvements and that my life will get easier in several areas:

Low light performance
Metering - especially with the 1DX in low light
Auto white balance in lowlight, 1DX again
Autofocus
Resolution
Video functionality
Silent Shutter
Low shutter lag
In camera RAW converter.
Electronic Level
Sensor cleaning
Built in voice memo (1DX)
Viewfinder & Live display
Chromatic aberration fix - in camera

If it would be possible to plug in a USB stick and write the resulting JPEGS (from the in camera RAW converter) I would pay double ;-)

And star-rating photos on the fly ... if this carried into Lightroom, more deep joy.

Upvote 0
8. I think I'm going to like the WFT-E7 ...

"With the use of the WFT-E7’s built-in WFT Server the EOS 5D Mark III can be controlled wirelessly over an HTTP connection using a web browser. This means you can see what your camera sees and control the settings and shooting functions through a web browser (or a device like a smart phone or tablet). You can also browse and download captured images."
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/accessories/wft_e7_wireless_file_transmitter.do

:D

Upvote 0
Coming from a 5dmkII there were a couple of things I wanted which Canon delivered.

1. AF - much much better on the mkIII
2. Shutter Lag - It sounds really weird but I have a 1dmkIII and I love the responsiveness of the camera. I'm really happy to see Canon add this.
3. Silent mode
4. SD Card Slot - For backup purposes.
5. Every other enhancement - Everything else is very welcome but not a priority!

All in all I am really happy with what Canon produced. I am still waiting to see some real world results especially in the video dept as I am using that more and more but in terms of stills I am very happy.

Upvote 0
D

Drama79

I want to give it up for the touchpad - being able to adjust ISO or volume on the fly is great news for me. I work with bands, and during kaing ofs / backstage bits, you don't have time to construct an edit - you shoot what's there. The 7D was nice, but controlling ISO meant a CLACKCLACKCLACK over the audio - now gone! and volume level means live shooting from the pit can be better controlled. Big fan of that.

Upvote 0
I am in the process of switching systems from Nikon to Canon. I am a full time wedding photographer. I have always preferred how Canon renders skin tones and for years wish I could use a Canon type profile in light room. Three things have kept me away recently from the Canon system. Focus Issues (must have a few cross focus points not just one), only a single card slot and noisy images at ISO 6400. My Nikon D3S was better as each of these.

In these three areas above, I believe the new 5D3 is at the level of the D3S but the 5D3 has these additional advantages:
True quite mode (my D700 and D3S are down right distracting in small churches)
Canon skin tone rendering
Small body ( I don't like caring two large body camera's 8+ hours)
Much lower price than the $5,200 D3S

As I see it the differences differences between the 5D3 and D3S are about equal, each has a few advantages/disadvantages. For me, the number one thing that makes the difference in witch system to use is the flash. Yes with this equipment I could shoot with ambient light but my style involves using remote flashes. Canon is the fist to develop the ultimate flash, the radio controlled 600EX-RT.

Yes I can do some things with the light based trigger system or one of the several different radio based trigger systems I own, but these have proven unreliable and kludgy. This new flash is a game changer for me. I have no doubt that sooner or later Nikon will have something similar but using light is the most important thing to me. I want to be using this as soon as possible. Having a radio triggers fail is just as frustrating as having a lens that won't focus.

eq

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.