Panasonic Launches Three L-Mount Interchangeable Lenses for the LUMIX S Series Full-frame Digital Single Lens Mirrorless Camera

Mar 25, 2011
Is it safe to assume that Canon EF and other third party lenses will not be adaptable to these cameras due to the DtD contrast AF system? It sounds like the AF system needs deep awareness of the OOF characteristics of the lenses to operate.
No, its not a safe assumption.

EF-L Mount Adapter

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Is it safe to assume that Canon EF and other third party lenses will not be adaptable to these cameras due to the DtD contrast AF system? It sounds like the AF system needs deep awareness of the OOF characteristics of the lenses to operate.
Yes and no.....

Yes it needs deep awareness to operate as fast as possible, but without it, it should operate slower.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I knew there were physical EF-L adapters but I think the Leica's use phase detect AF. I'll be curious to see if EF lenses work reasonably well on the Lumix S's without full support from the AI software. Maybe it's not a big deal. Hopefully there will be some data sharing between Panasonic and Sigma so the Sigma L mount lenses work at full AF speed.

Not perfect but a pretty good effort for their first full frame. Sounds like they might be able to acheive both 5DSR quality stills and Panavision quality video which is impressive if the AF is workable.

Glad I'm in no hurry to go mirrorless so I can let the various players sort out the market for a while.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2016
Well, they have bit heavier pedigree and they will last a 100 years, are waaay smaller also. I think Leica is too expensive for sure, but Panasonic are in no position to get away this kind of pricing, the 70-200 f4 costs the same here as I paid for the RF50 with cash back. Or nearly 850 USD more than the EF 70-200 f4 IS MK2. I don’t know how many still photogs are willing to pay this insane amount of money for Panasonic.
The Leica L mount 50mm 1.4 is huge and weighs 1065g!

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Well, they have bit heavier pedigree and they will last a 100 years, are waaay smaller also. I think Leica is too expensive for sure, but Panasonic are in no position to get away this kind of pricing, the 70-200 f4 costs the same here as I paid for the RF50 with cash back. Or nearly 850 USD more than the EF 70-200 f4 IS MK2. I don’t know how many still photogs are willing to pay this insane amount of money for Panasonic.
Even if the Panasonic did cost less, It would have a hard time competing with the EF 70/200 F4 IS II...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0