Pano - Rochester, UK

B

briansquibb

JR said:
Very Nice! I downloaded the full 47M image and it is so big I felt I was there! I assume you used a tripod for the 6 shot?

Yes - it was a 1D4 with a 400 f/2.8 IS on a Manfrotto 055XPROB and Manfrotto Gimbal

I am experimenting with using the 400 for landscapes - of course it is a bit long so I that I have to stitch several together to get the width

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
briansquibb said:
JR said:
Very Nice! I downloaded the full 47M image and it is so big I felt I was there! I assume you used a tripod for the 6 shot?

Yes - it was a 1D4 with a 400 f/2.8 IS on a Manfrotto 055XPROB and Manfrotto Gimbal

I am experimenting with using the 400 for landscapes - of course it is a bit long so I that I have to stitch several together to get the width

What was your main motivation for trying the 400 for landscape? DOF? IQ? Just curious...I dont have long focal lenght like this but recently I noticed my 85mm did great at landscape (better then my 50 or 24). I am tempted to try my 70-200 at 200mm for landscape now... Anyway curious to know your thought process...

Thanks

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

JR said:
What was your main motivation for trying the 400 for landscape? DOF? IQ? Just curious...I dont have long focal lenght like this but recently I noticed my 85mm did great at landscape (better then my 50 or 24). I am tempted to try my 70-200 at 200mm for landscape now... Anyway curious to know your thought process...

Thanks

Between me and the buildings is a large river, so I was about 200yds away to take this. By moving further away perspective distortion is avoided.

The 400 f/2.8 has great IQ which can be seen when zooming in on the full size!

By having a long lens means that views are possible without going onto private land

But mostly because I hadn't done it before so would try it out. I can see a lot more coming this way now :D

Upvote 0
Long teles are also good at picking out details in what are sometimes bland landscapes otherwise. When you have strong lines, particularly in low contrast scenes, such as mist, teles can be ideal. Like you, it's something I want to do more of. I have a habit of travelling a bit lighter when I am out for landscapes, so often leave my 300 f/2.8 behind, but I have taken a few with the 300+1.4x and got a drop in polariser for the purpose.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Kernuak said:
Long teles are also good at picking out details in what are sometimes bland landscapes otherwise. When you have strong lines, particularly in low contrast scenes, such as mist, teles can be ideal. Like you, it's something I want to do more of. I have a habit of travelling a bit lighter when I am out for landscapes, so often leave my 300 f/2.8 behind, but I have taken a few with the 300+1.4x and got a drop in polariser for the purpose.

A bit like this you mean? (just an experimental image) - about 6mb

http://www.squibb.org.uk/pictures/b09g9474.JPG

Upvote 0