Patent: New Canon Mount Coming?

Apr 25, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Kit. said:
Actually, I'm surprised that negotiation for higher speeds done at lower speed of the same serial protocol is patentable at all.
Its all about the manner in which the speed change is done without adding a additional contact as was required in the previous patent. Since the existing lenses must work with it, the method of detecting and switching is what sets it apart.
I just don't see how one could find a novel and non-obvious way of doing it in 2010s.

But probably the goal of Canon was not to provide a novel solution to speed negotiation "problem", but to keep its communication protocol patent-protected so that the 3rd party lens manufacturers would be unable to implement its coming extensions.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2016
HarryFilm said:
My current Euro-engineering sources have been saying for a Looooooong time that a Canon Medium Format with a much-larger-than-EF-mount is being tested,

I just realized that the patent drawing has a sensor with a 4:3 aspect ratio, which is a very common aspect ratio for medium format, and not common at all for smaller sensors. So there's that to add to the mystery as well.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
tmroper said:
I just realized that the patent drawing has a sensor with a 4:3 aspect ratio, which is a very common aspect ratio for medium format, and not common at all for smaller sensors. So there's that to add to the mystery as well.

it is the mirrorbox, not the sensor. We had that already earlier on in the thread. :)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Kit. said:
mb66energy said:
If it is SPI (a synchronous serial interface using a common clock)
It's reportedly SPI running at ~80kHz clock sync. No need for slave select because back in the 80s no one expected to have more than 1 MCU in the lens.

Actually, I'm surprised that negotiation for higher speeds done at lower speed of the same serial protocol is patentable at all.

It could be that the implementation is patented, not the concept.....

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Don Haines said:
Kit. said:
mb66energy said:
If it is SPI (a synchronous serial interface using a common clock)
It's reportedly SPI running at ~80kHz clock sync. No need for slave select because back in the 80s no one expected to have more than 1 MCU in the lens.

It could be that the implementation is patented, not the concept.....
Concepts and Ideas cannot be patented. A working model that is complete enough to demonstrate the invention is required.

This patent is based on previous patents, also owned by Canon. It differs in that a lens with the new protocol is able to be used with existing camera bodies, be they EF, EF-S, or M It could be used on a future mirrorless, but there is specific wording stating that the example is the preferred implementation, and that is a interchangeable lens camera.

Upvote 0