Possible to skip existing images with Camera Connect

Camera Connect works great to download images from my R5 to an android tablet. But I can't figure out how to tell it to skip existing files? I was at a photoshoot and downloaded the first batches fine. Then when I tried to update my tablet with new pictures, it started with the first image and redownloaded all of the JPGs again. When you've taken hundreds of shots, that takes forever?

Does anyone know if there is a setting to tell the program to skip existing files on the tablet?

I'm thinking of telling Connect to auto download the images but not sure of the impact on battery life and how close the camera and tablet need to be. Also if you turn the camera off does that stop the transfer when you turn the camera back on?

Jan 29, 2011
I guess I could do that but it seems like a lot of trouble for just being able to skip existing files. Thanks for the suggestion.
As far as they go that is a pretty good suggestion as there is the functionality to 'sort' and thereby select, by folder. As well as rating, so you could rate in batches, but again that is clunky, the other thing you could do is use different SD cards for your jpegs.

But I don't know of a simple 'ignore previously imported' option in Camera Connect.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
It sounds like CC (maybe that's a confusing abbreviation :unsure: ) has been written as all or nothing or auto real-time which is kinda understandable to save on additional coms complexity but to get round that they could tag the file in camera as it's downloaded and have an option to ignore all tagged files, that would mean adding additional menu options and code to manage tags....
Swapping out sd cards sounds like a good work around but that would depend on how many batches you would have in a session?
Seems like your use case would be a good feature request.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It sounds like CC (maybe that's a confusing abbreviation :unsure: ) has been written as all or nothing or auto real-time which is kinda understandable to save on additional coms complexity but to get round that they could tag the file in camera as it's downloaded[..]
It already tags the files in-camera, a bracket with an upwards pointing arrow is shown in the playback screen when you enable the overlays with INFO.

Attachments

• camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_7977.PNG
    IMG_7977.PNG
    559.6 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It sounds like CC (maybe that's a confusing abbreviation :unsure: ) has been written as all or nothing or auto real-time which is kinda understandable to save on additional coms complexity but to get round that they could tag the file in camera as it's downloaded and have an option to ignore all tagged files, that would mean adding additional menu options and code to manage tags....
Swapping out sd cards sounds like a good work around but that would depend on how many batches you would have in a session?
Seems like your use case would be a good feature request.
Swapping out cards will be a bit of a hassle. I shoot both a RAW to CFx and JPG to SD so it would involve swapping and keeping track of everything. Plus at $200 a card for CFx, I've only got 2 cards. The easiest thing is just to not download the images which solves all the problems beyond letting the models get a first look at their shots.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the suggestions but I guess I'll just skip the download on my tablet as it appears that there is no easy way to solve a problem that Camera Connect should already fix. On my last shoot, I did 750 images and having to juggle those is just too much to screw with and it was a good idea in theory but not in practice. :)

Upvote 0
As far as they go that is a pretty good suggestion as there is the functionality to 'sort' and thereby select, by folder. As well as rating, so you could rate in batches, but again that is clunky, the other thing you could do is use different SD cards for your jpegs.

But I don't know of a simple 'ignore previously imported' option in Camera Connect.
Good thought but having to select from hundreds of shots from the back of my camera would be a pain. Certainly, I could bring a laptop and USB-C the images to the laptop but WiFi'ing them to a tablet seemed like a good idea but the speed of transfer is so slow that it's not practical when you are trying to add another 100-200 shots onto 500 that you've already shot when the transfer process restarts at one every time.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
....... The easiest thing is just to not download the images which solves all the problems beyond letting the models get a first look at their shots.
That's a pity sounds like a very valid use case and they have the tags to make this easy already in place as koenkooi said so still think putting a feature request in is worth a punt!

Upvote 0
That's a pity sounds like a very valid use case and they have the tags to make this easy already in place as koenkooi said so still think putting a feature request in is worth a punt!
I've submitted a request to Canon tech support but don't have a response as of yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0