ProGrade announces its first CFexpress 4.0 Type B memory card & reader

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
San Jose, CA September 5, 2023, 8:00 am ET — ProGrade Digital, Inc., founded with a mission to provide the highest quality professional grade digital memory cards and workflow solutions, announces the 3rd generation of its CFexpress™ Type B Cobalt-class memory card in a new 1.3TB capacity. This new generation features the same industry-leading quality of ProGrade

See full article...

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I’m very excited to see this technology mature so rapidly. That said, there currently isn’t any need to buy this memory card or reader as none of the cameras that I own can utilize them and none of my computers would benefit from a faster reader than my current CFExpress devices. Perhaps something down the line will take advantage of this theoretical speed? That would be a MONSTER of a camera.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I really hope the Canon R1 utilizes this new 4.0 specification for some amazing buffer and write speeds with 45 MP sensor. With sustained write speed of 2800 MB/s in theory one could easily write 50 fps with a 45 MP sensor. WOW!!
The R5 isn’t using even the ‘old’ standard to its limits, so anything above 500mbyte/s would already be an improvement for Canon bodies.

I know Asmedia introduced an PCIe4 to TB4/USB4 controller recently, that would allow us to have those 3gbyte/s read speeds for getting the photos and videos onto our computers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I’m very excited to see this technology mature so rapidly. That said, there currently isn’t any need to buy this memory card or reader as none of the cameras that I own can utilize them and none of my computers would benefit from a faster reader than my current CFExpress devices. Perhaps something down the line will take advantage of this theoretical speed? That would be a MONSTER of a camera.
Your R6 II and R7 don't have CF Express.
However, the buffer would be much improved on your R5.
Your R3 would benefit the most since it can go up to 195 FPS.
The current buffer is only 1/2 second for 50 FPS and above.

In regards to your computer, if it does not have USB 4 or the ability to install an internal drive then you might not see much of a difference.

Upvote 0
Quite interesting, hopefully, this will make prices on current generation cards go further down.

And the big question is how hot will those new cards run? And perhaps they will run cooler at current gent speeds in eg a Canon R5?

My PC actually has two Thunderbolt4/usb4 40Gbps ports. And since my current wise card reader (G1) is a bit unstable I might buy the new card reader, in order to be a little futureproof and also get slightly better offloading speeds on my current cards.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Your R6 II and R7 don't have CF Express.
However, the buffer would be much improved on your R5.
Your R3 would benefit the most since it can go up to 195 FPS.
The current buffer is only 1/2 second for 50 FPS and above.

In regards to your computer, if it does not have USB 4 or the ability to install an internal drive then you might not see much of a difference.
I believe the limitation of the R3 is the internal buffer writing to cards peaks at 408 MB/s. No matter how fast the CFExpress card is, it doesn't appear that the camera will ever write quicker than that. So putting a card with theoretical 4,000 MB/s write speed would still perform identical to a CFExpress card that peaks at a sustained speed 1/4 of it like my ProGrade Cobalt cards.

I don't know what the R5 peaks out at, but I doubt it would be quicker than the R3.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I believe the limitation of the R3 is the internal buffer writing to cards peaks at 408 MB/s. No matter how fast the CFExpress card is, it doesn't appear that the camera will ever write quicker than that. So putting a card with theoretical 4,000 MB/s write speed would still perform identical to a CFExpress card that peaks at a sustained speed 1/4 of it like my ProGrade Cobalt cards.

I don't know what the R5 peaks out at, but I doubt it would be quicker than the R3.
A very similar speed judging by my non-scientific tests with my R5.
So we can get a 3-4x improvement with the ‘old’ PCIe3 cards in future bodies if Canon decides to use full speed CFe :)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020

That is the highest sustained rate assured by the current standard.
VPG400:
It is smart of Canon not to assume any higher.
It would be pointless to have a faster CF Express standard without also having an increase in the standard for sustained write speeds as well.
I am assuming that there will be a corresponding VPG 800.
I don't see Canon upgrading existing cameras via firmware but I am hoping for that with the R1, R5 II, and R3 II.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That is the highest sustained rate assured by the current standard.
VPG400:
It is smart of Canon not to assume any higher.
It would be pointless to have a faster CF Express standard without also having an increase in the standard for sustained write speeds as well.
I am assuming that there will be a corresponding VPG 800.
I don't see Canon upgrading existing cameras via firmware but I am hoping for that with the R1, R5 II, and R3 II.
Nikon already supports the full CFe bandwidth for writing files on the Z9 (and likely Z8), people report a much better burst speed when using cards that handle >1gbyte/s sustained writes.

And don't tell people what the 'V' in VPG stands for, they might faint after realizing that a body without any video related feature will have severely hampered still capabilities ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0