Question re: real world experience with 5D MkIII AF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if this has been covered in the past but I did a quick search on the subject and could not find what I was looking for.

I'm hoping that someone out there has some real world experience and can answer my question.

How does the 5D MkIII AF compare to the 1D MkIV? I'm particularly interested in the accuracy and AF lock-on speed. My primary use is action photography; motocross and birds in flight.

The lenses I mostly use, in order of time on the camera are:

70-200 f/2.8L IS II
300 f/2.8L IS
400 f/5.6L
135 f/2L

I should mention that I do not intend to replace my 1D MkIV, which I have been using for 3 years. If I acquired a 5D MkIII, it would be a second body to use primarily at the motocross tracks. Most likely, I would carry the 300/2.8 mounted on the 1D MkIV and the 70-200/2.8 or 135/2 mounted on the 5D MkIII.

I am also not concerned with the burst rate as 6 fps would be adequate. I normally keep my 1D MKIV set at 7 fps for motocross and it's been fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
I have both and find that will grab the 5D M3 most of the time. I think it's auto focus is more accurate ANSI believe covers a greater area of te view finder - tho I have not done an A B comparison.

It look a while to get use the different ergonomics but I found that it worked well for me

Highly recommended - also I found the vertical grip adds to the comfort of the camera ( increases the weight, but not objectionable so)

Upvote 0
AF accuracy on the 5DIII is slightly better than the 1D IV. AF speed might be on par or a little less but even with BIF shots I didn't notice the difference at all. The benefit of using the 5DIII is that you will also get closed loop AF with Canon's newer lenses such as MK II models. Those lenses now report AF position back to the camera. However, even with the older lenses, the AF accuracy is improved.

For best AF accuracy for action, you also need to set the firmware to use only cross type af points. If you have it set to use ALL of them, it's possible for the AF to be less accurate...It's fine to use ALL of them if you are shooting static subjects.

Most people using the older bodies are accustomed to using the center point only. While that is still a very good option for most, the 5DIII offers a few other AF modes that are an improvement over using just the center point....and with most modest lenses, a large block of the center AF points are all cross type.

Lots of benefits to using the 5DIII for action....but a lot more options to tweak based on what you are shooting. It's a bit overwhelming. I've been using a 5DIII for about 1 year now shooting almost exclusively wildlife and I'm still finding tweaks that are improving the numbers of keepers in certain situations. Steep learning curve but glad I have it.

BTW, got rid of the 1D IV and 7D. Now waiting for the 7DII to come out as my 2nd body.

Harv said:
I apologize if this has been covered in the past but I did a quick search on the subject and could not find what I was looking for.

I'm hoping that someone out there has some real world experience and can answer my question.

How does the 5D MkIII AF compare to the 1D MkIV? I'm particularly interested in the accuracy and AF lock-on speed. My primary use is action photography; motocross and birds in flight.

70-200 f/2.8L IS II
300 f/2.8L IS
400 f/5.6L
135 f/2L

I should mention that I do not intend to replace my 1D MkIV, which I have been using for 3 years. If I acquired a 5D MkIII, it would be a second body to use primarily at the motocross tracks. Most likely, I would carry the 300/2.8 mounted on the 1D MkIV and the 70-200/2.8 or 135/2 mounted on the 5D MkIII.

I am also not concerned with the burst rate as 6 fps would be adequate. I normally keep my 1D MKIV set at 7 fps for motocross and it's been fine.

Upvote 0
East Wind Photography said:
AF accuracy on the 5DIII is slightly better than the 1D IV. AF speed might be on par or a little less but even with BIF shots I didn't notice the difference at all. The benefit of using the 5DIII is that you will also get closed loop AF with Canon's newer lenses such as MK II models. Those lenses now report AF position back to the camera. However, even with the older lenses, the AF accuracy is improved.

For best AF accuracy for action, you also need to set the firmware to use only cross type af points. If you have it set to use ALL of them, it's possible for the AF to be less accurate...It's fine to use ALL of them if you are shooting static subjects.

Most people using the older bodies are accustomed to using the center point only. While that is still a very good option for most, the 5DIII offers a few other AF modes that are an improvement over using just the center point....and with most modest lenses, a large block of the center AF points are all cross type.

Lots of benefits to using the 5DIII for action....but a lot more options to tweak based on what you are shooting. It's a bit overwhelming. I've been using a 5DIII for about 1 year now shooting almost exclusively wildlife and I'm still finding tweaks that are improving the numbers of keepers in certain situations. Steep learning curve but glad I have it.

BTW, got rid of the 1D IV and 7D. Now waiting for the 7DII to come out as my 2nd body.

Harv said:

70-200 f/2.8L IS II
300 f/2.8L IS
400 f/5.6L
135 f/2L

That's great information. Thanks.

I read the paragraph above with particular interest in your comment regarding the setting in the firmware for using only cross type AF points. I have downloaded the manual but have been unable to find any reference to where and how that is done. Do you mean to select a point with expansion or a zone that would only include those?

Are you able to elaborate?

Upvote 0
AF4 on the menu. Manual page 98 under selectable AF point. The manual says when you manually select all 61 points, all will be used. It's only when you manually select AF points. It also says in a foot note that expansion will also still work regardless of this setting. I assume that the center point will always have to be a cross type point but the expanded points may not be.

Harv said:

Harv said:

70-200 f/2.8L IS II
300 f/2.8L IS
400 f/5.6L
135 f/2L

I read the paragraph above with particular interest in your comment regarding the setting in the firmware for using only cross type AF points. I have downloaded the manual but have been unable to find any reference to where and how that is done. Do you mean to select a point with expansion or a zone that would only include those?

Upvote 0
AF4 on the menu. Manual page 98 under selectable AF point. The manual says when you manually select all 61 points, all will be used. It's only when you manually select AF points. It also says in a foot note that expansion will also still work regardless of this setting. I assume that the center point will always have to be a cross type point but the expanded points may not be.

Harv said:

Harv said:

70-200 f/2.8L IS II
300 f/2.8L IS
400 f/5.6L
135 f/2L

Got it. I think I must have stopped reading at page 96. Duh me. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0
No duh's ;D.... It's a lot to ingest. There are some very good white papers on Canon's DLP site on AF, mostly for 1DX. But since they share the same AF system, almost all of the settings function the same. Only iTR tracking and metering on the selected AF point are different.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml

Click the PDF link near the bottom of the page.

Harv said:

Harv said:

Harv said:

70-200 f/2.8L IS II
300 f/2.8L IS
400 f/5.6L
135 f/2L

Got it. I think I must have stopped reading at page 96. Duh me. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.