R5 arrived... First impressions for stills

Canon did a good job with stills in the R5.
- Af performance is outstanding on BIF! (5DIV-more than the half of all shots are not "eye-sharp", about 50% on the Sony A7RIV, and almost all are sharp on the R5. I took 2200 shots in the last two days, mostly on BIF. And damned!... I do not know thich one to delete, becouse they are all sharp at the eye.
Also it has lesser noise than the Sony 7RIV at the same ISO.
With the 70-200RF it is a pleasure to shoot my great-grand-children at skating and biking. All shots are sharp. Wow.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2020
- Af performance is outstanding on BIF! (5DIV-more than the half of all shots are not "eye-sharp", about 50% on the Sony A7RIV, and almost all are sharp on the R5. I took 2200 shots in the last two days, mostly on BIF. And damned!... I do not know thich one to delete, becouse they are all sharp at the eye.
With the 70-200RF it is a pleasure to shoot my great-grand-children at skating and biking. All shots are sharp. Wow.
That's good to know as BIF will be my main use for the R5. What lens/extenders did you use xps?

Upvote 0
That covers 2 of my lens and my extender combo so thanks xps.
My 100-400II with 1.4x extender does not work properly on the R5. It works well without the extender. And the 600 II is very slow with the AF if i use the 2x extender. - Maybe this is just a non optimal adjustment.
With my old 400 2.8 L IS AF is just manually possible. But it is ablmost 20 years old.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Just a side question here; has anyone received delivery of their R5 very recently, say the past week? So after initial release date?
In Germany it is luck if you fetch an R5. I´ve preordered the lens back in February (without knowing specs e.g. or the name :sneaky:), so I received it this week. The shop where I buy my Cameras in Munich only got a handfull of the new bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2020
My 100-400II with 1.4x extender does not work properly on the R5. It works well without the extender. And the 600 II is very slow with the AF if i use the 2x extender. - Maybe this is just a non optimal adjustment.
With my old 400 2.8 L IS AF is just manually possible. But it is ablmost 20 years old.
My 5D4 af slows down when my 2x mk3 is on my 600 f4 mk2. My 1.4x I hardly notice a difference tbh. Hopefully my R5 will perform ok with the 1.4x and 600 mk2 combination.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I have no issues with the 100-400 II + 1.4x III on the R5. what sort of issue are you experiencing with that combo?

Upvote 0
Can you share more details? I'm interested in how close you are to the birds in flight, exactly what your AF settings are, etc. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I haven't had much BIF since getting the camera, but I've been doing a lot of high-velocity, spastic kid shots from very close range. The angle of view movement in many of these cases is greater than that of a bird moving across the frame. I am now coming to expect that all shots outside of 5 feet from the camera will be in focus on the eye when using eye tracking. I was never one for eye tracking - even on the Sony A9II - but I'm a believer now.

I think the limiting factor is more the lenses now. I see this with the 600mm f/11. Its focus isn't speedy. So when tracking a kid running toward me, it'll get it in focus for a couple shots, then fall behind, then jump back into focus, and then fall behind again, etc. The RF 70-200 and all the other L lenses are zippy enough that it just works. Not 15 minutes ago, I took a series of my little girl learning to bike on the lawn. She was coming at me as fast as her little legs could push her (not very fast at all), but the camera kept focus as she passed me until she was within 2-3 feet away, and I was panning rapidly.

Yesterday I was photographing a leopard frog on a log looking away from me. Was surprised to see the little blue square indicating it had found an eye - even when I had the camera set to look for people.

The settings were: tracking; eye tracking on; people; H+; all the various silly file modifying "features" like DLO turned off.

Also, of note: sensor read is too fast for jello effect to show up. It's exactly these close passes where I'd expect to see it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0