Update: 8/31: Returned the camera for service and the LED panel was found to be faulty and replaced.
I just purchased the EOS R5 camera and am loving the pictures it takes. However, I seem to be having an issue when I am going through the menus and it changes menu views on its own. This only happens when using the reear screen. Have only had the camera a couple of weeks. Anyone else experience similar? Such a bummer..thanks

Last edited:

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I just purchased the EOS R5 camera and am loving the pictures it takes. However, I seem to be having an issue when I am going through the menus and it changes menu views on its own. This only happens when using the reear screen. Have only had the camera a couple of weeks. Anyone else experience similar? Such a bummer..thanks
I'd suggest reading the manual. Menu options can change based on what shooting mode you're using.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2021
It seems that there's a problem with the touchscreen interface : something is perturbating the touchscreen and menus or parameters change all alone.
When the camera is used with the EVF, the touchscreen possibilities are disabled in order to avoid wrong operations (noze...), apart from AF point position on screen with the thumb, if enabled in menus. So it's logical, if there's an issue with the touchscreen layer, that it occurs only when the screen is on.
If I understand the begenning of your post, your LCD have been changed because of a faulty LED panel. I think they added a new problem when they repared it ! (screws too much tightened, piece of dust touching the screen, wrong position of connector...)

Upvote 0
It seems that there's a problem with the touchscreen interface : something is perturbating the touchscreen and menus or parameters change all alone.
When the camera is used with the EVF, the touchscreen possibilities are disabled in order to avoid wrong operations (noze...), apart from AF point position on screen with the thumb, if enabled in menus. So it's logical, if there's an issue with the touchscreen layer, that it occurs only when the screen is on.
If I understand the begenning of your post, your LCD have been changed because of a faulty LED panel. I think they added a new problem when they repared it ! (screws too much tightened, piece of dust touching the screen, wrong position of connector...)
Yes..they replaced the LCD panel. Camera is working fine now. Seems that this issue maybe some sort of manufacturing issue or design issue.

Upvote 0

vikingar

EOS R5
May 13, 2022
Yes..they replaced the LCD panel. Camera is working fine now. Seems that this issue maybe some sort of manufacturing issue or design issue.
It was a common failure mode for iPhone displays a few years ago. Got mine replaced and the phone has been fine since. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

At least on the R5 the touch feature can be disabled altogether, so if it were to happen again on a trip you could set the touchscreen sensitivity to [Disable] until it can be repaired (the other options are [Standard] and [Sensitive], aka glove mode).

Upvote 0