Reikan FoCal 2.2 Released, Adds Full EOS-1D X Mark II & EOS 80D Support

Re: Update on my FoCal v2.2 experience with 1DXII

LordofTackle said:
Did you try turning off the lens correction, as suggested by Eldar? FWIW, I just had a look at my settings and only Distortion correction was set to OFF, the other three setting were ON.
Eldar said:
When I turned off the lens corrections in camera, as recommende by Reikan, I also got the 1DX-II to work.
The only thing Reikan suggested was to turn off Distortion correction. I just turned off everyone, since I only shoot raw.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw said:
The program seemed to work very well with my 5DII and 5DII with two different lenses (24-70 2,8II, and 70-200 2.8.L IS II). On the 5DIII the program flawlessly recognized the zoom position and wide position of the lenses, and would not let me proceed until the zoom was at either extreme for the III. The 5DII was completely automated but only allowed one AFMA adjustment (unlike the 5DIII which allows for wide and tele adjustment) while the III required me to change AFMA manually (due to a change in the SDK of this camera). For each camera, I had to restart the program between tests because the program hung.

FoCal was a total fail on the 1DXII for the lenses. Despite having the camera set up correctly, FoCal aborted siting that the single focus point was not selected. I double checked all settings and restarted the program several times, but no go.

To calibrate my lenses to my 1DX I had to resort to LensAlign. Anyone have experience with LensAlign (without the software), and if so, what are your impressions?

Thanks for your input, and I hope my experience helps.

For FoCal people, please fix this, and please answer your email when people ask for technical help.

Scott.

Hi Scott,

At risk of creating two support channels (honestly tickets are the best way to contact us but a little snowed under we are getting to them!). We believe 2.2 is very solid, it's had a huge amount of testing and looking at the tickets which have come in there's very few issues (that's always relative but honestly it's pretty solid overall!)

I think you're seeing the same issue as Eldar and there is a work-round (we need to provide a better message presented in FoCal for this case!).

A little background, a long time ago we saw an issue with the 7D mark II when it would report this same error when distortion correction had been enabled. It was something that came up rarely and simply turning off distortion correction resolved it.

Since you're seeing it with the 1DX-II we've looked at this again and the same problem happens.

Setting is on the camera menu (red) under Lens aberration > Distortion correction

If that is enabled could you try turning it off, it should get past the problem.

Best Regards,
Dave

Upvote 0

LordofTackle said:
@ Eldar: I have a more technical question to you: How, or rather where do you test your longer lenses, i.e. 100-400, 200-400, 600, and with extenders?
My longest room is about 7m, so thats just sufficient for a 200m lens! (According to Focal FAQ: http://s449182328.websitehome.co.uk/focal/dl//Docs/FoCal%20Test%20Distance_1.1.pdf)
For 400mm you would already need 8m, for 560mm about 11m.

I could do it outside, but that would bring other problems with it, like wind and changing lighting.
So far I do the AFMA on the 7m I have as maximum length.

Also, what Tripod are you using?
I find it incredibly annoying to do AFMA on the longer lenses, since just a very slight touch to the lens or the body could throw you off-target. And without the hands-free option you have to touch the body all the time to set the different AFMA values.

Thanks
Sebastian
I am doing it outdoors. I have a couple of Focal calibration targets (A4 and A3) mounted on a wooden plate. That way I have little/no problems with wind. I am setting it up in a place where I can avoid direct sunlight. I can use distances from 0 to about 30m.

My tripod is a RRS TVC34-L, with a RRS PG-02 full gimbal head, which I am very happy with. However, when I run AFMA, I use an additional support at the front of the lens. I position the lens forward in the gimbal, to make sure it is front heavy , so it leans properly on the front support. This is dead stable.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA

LordofTackle said:
@ Eldar: I have a more technical question to you: How, or rather where do you test your longer lenses, i.e. 100-400, 200-400, 600, and with extenders?
My longest room is about 7m, so thats just sufficient for a 200m lens! (According to Focal FAQ: http://s449182328.websitehome.co.uk/focal/dl//Docs/FoCal%20Test%20Distance_1.1.pdf)
For 400mm you would already need 8m, for 560mm about 11m.

I could do it outside, but that would bring other problems with it, like wind and changing lighting.
So far I do the AFMA on the 7m I have as maximum length.

Also, what Tripod are you using?
I find it incredibly annoying to do AFMA on the longer lenses, since just a very slight touch to the lens or the body could throw you off-target. And without the hands-free option you have to touch the body all the time to set the different AFMA values.

Thanks
Sebastian

I can do up to 8m at home in the garage - a stable concrete slab is helpful. I guess I'm fortunate that I can visit the cafeteria at work with a 40m by 30m room on a concrete slab during the weekend when nobody is around to test longer lenses with extenders. No weather issues and it works year around in Colorado. A lightstand and photolamp light the target for me - I got the target from Reikan. I use a Gitzo 3532LS with a RRS BH55 to provide a stable platform. FoCal loaded on a laptop with a long cable makes it easy to setup on a long aisle and there is always a table nearby :D I retested all lenses on my 6D there when v2 came out and nobody (including security) bothered me. BTW: the 6D is fully automated - the software can change the AFMA values.

I've done a cursory test using manual mode at home with the 1DX2 and got good results. I may wait a while longer before trying the (semi-)automated support for the 1DX2 in the cafe. I had a similar experience when the 6D support first appeared in FoCal - I needed to restart the program between lenses. I haven't had that problem using the 6D with later releases. I assume they'll get the 1DX2 dialed in before long.

Upvote 0
I've been a fan of the software for years, although it has been unstable at times on my mac.

This new release was rock steady for me.

The newer features, such as lens benchmarking are brilliant. Nothing comes close to this.

I just wish it didn't require it be so bright to work well, but that's more a function of physics and Canon.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I am not having any issues with either of my cameras that support AFMA, but I have a question regarding the different automatic modes, is it the case that all the cameras with a single adjustment per lens are fully automatic and that all the cameras with two adjustments for zooms, a setting for wide and a setting for tele, are semi automatic?
Is there a body that supports wide and tele settings that can be done fully automatically?
I'm of course talking comparing Canon cameras, I'm not concerned if Nikon can do it or not or if they can why Canon can not.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
I am not having any issues with either of my cameras that support AFMA, but I have a question regarding the different automatic modes, is it the case that all the cameras with a single adjustment per lens are fully automatic and that all the cameras with two adjustments for zooms, a setting for wide and a setting for tele, are semi automatic?
Is there a body that supports wide and tele settings that can be done fully automatically?
All bodies that can do separate Wide/Tele AFMA adjustments are semi-automatic due to Canon changing their SDK and refusing to make an API for changing W/T AFMA.

I just shoot the needed shot with varying AFMA manually and feed these picture to FoCal v1.9.11 (v2.06 wasn't very stable for me and manual mode is either hidden or missing).

Upvote 0
I can confirm that Fully Automatic Mode is fully supported on Canon 6D body at both wide and telefoto end of native Canon, Sigma (Art and C) and Tamron lenses.

kaihp said:
Valvebounce said:
All bodies that can do separate Wide/Tele AFMA adjustments are semi-automatic due to Canon changing their SDK and refusing to make an API for changing W/T AFMA.

I just shoot the needed shot with varying AFMA manually and feed these picture to FoCal v1.9.11 (v2.06 wasn't very stable for me and manual mode is either hidden or missing).

Upvote 0