Relaunch of >500mm lenses?

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
I would agree with the general consensus here, it's unlikely Canon would be in update mode to the Series II Lenses, they are about as good as you get in todays long lens department.

We could see an update soon for the older 200f/2, I for one would look forward to seeing that, although the current 200f/2 is an amazingly sharp lens, the AF could do with an upgrade.

I did see a recent rumour that Nikon were upgrading their Long Lenses to include fluorite elements, so your friend at Nikon may have been alluding to that.

And a load of points to be doing what your doing in your situation, making your own buying decisions in a home split between Nikon & Canon, your experience in home can only benefit from such a sensible situation.

Mine certainly does, I use both Canon & Nikon, my youngest son uses primarily Nikon, haven't seen a situation where we regret this decision, works & works well.

Buy the Lens now if your looking to Canon, wait a while if your going to Nikon, & look at the Canon 200-400f/4 (1.4x), try and hire both the 200-400f/4 & the Series II 500f/4, a side by side will give you a better view of what longer term will work best for you.

I own the 200-400f/4 & the 600f/4 II, I'm not a Birder so my preference is generally to the 200-400f/4 (560 @ f/5.6), either lens is a dream & I have no doubt when my 5DsR arrives in a week or so that both lenses will perform well on this body, but I'm waiting patiently for the 1DxII to replace my current 1Dx for primary use on these lenses.

Which ever way you go, enjoy your decission.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
daniela said:
... He just said, that there are internal rumors, that Canon is updating their fast highend primes. ...
Hi daniela!

I don't know if your friend was specially refering to fast telephoto lenses or just fast lenses.

I think it is not only well known rumor but also high demand of enthusiasts and pros that Canon should update some of their fast primes like a rumored 35/1.4L II or a new 50/1.2L II, etc. Maybe your friend was talking about these lenses.

At the Telephoto lenses I am with a lot of posters here to say you won't see a new 500 or 600 mm/f4.0L lens soon. The Mark II versions are quite new and at minimum par or even better to anything else the competition offers here.
Only the 800/5.6L seems to fall behind the new Nikon and could be due for an update.

Upvote 0
So, the rumor of a friend of my husband got true, there will be an (maybe parallel to the 600mm L ISII 4.0) update to the existing 600mm lens.
We fetched him some hours ago at the Airport and he told us that rumors of visitors of this exhibition say, the lens will (maybe) be announced in 2016 at photokina and released in summer 2017. Testing it at the Olympic games next august. Others rumored, it will be in the shop in spring 2018 (ready for the soccer world cup 2018). Who knows??
Price will be higher than 15.000€ as DO and BR technology are expensive to be developed. And he heared, it will be an marvellous lens in optical quality. No exact rumors on weight loss (15-35% rumored).
And it will be definitively high-end-optimized for high MP cameras.

Rumors,rumors,rumors, I know. But who saw an DO BR lens coming some month ago?

Upvote 0