Replacing my 18-270

Just a quick question for the group mega-mind. My Tamron 18-270 (older version) bit the dust (literally, I work in the North Dakota oil patch and until they paved some key roads this summer it was like a dust storm every day). I use my 7D for newspaper work so IQ isn't the #1 priority compared to getting the photo right now, and I appreciate not having to swap lenses. So right now B&H has the Sigma 18-250 with a $200 instant rebate at $349 and the Tamron has a $70 mail in rebate at $379. I am leaning towards the Sigma because I don't think I will miss those 20 extra mm and I really don't like mail in rebates. Any thoughts one way or another on these two lenses, especially in terms of durability and weather resistance?

Just my 2 cents... If you're looking for durability and weather resistance, look at L lenses though you must also have a camera that's weather resistant to complete the package. The 24-105 and 17-40 L lenses are the cheapest. They would need filters though to complete the sealing. As far as I know, those lenses you mentioned are not weather resistant.

Upvote 0
Given that the 24-105L would give me half the flexibility at three or four times the cost, (not to mention having to carry around a 55-250 or 70-300 as well, which is what I am trying to avoid in the first place) that's pretty much a non-starter. Plus, a small town journalist, I avoid a lot of income tax by avoiding a lot of income, so cost is pretty high on my priority list for this purchase.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
In South Dakota Winter Weather, consider them throw away lenses. If they last for a year, you are lucky.

Since You would need to upgrade your body to make use of a expensive weather sealed lens, just get a cheap one and don't worry. Neither has stellar image quality at the longer focal lengths so it really doesn't matter a whole lot as far as Sigma or Tamron.

Upvote 0
justawriter said:
Given that the 24-105L would give me half the flexibility at three or four times the cost, (not to mention having to carry around a 55-250 or 70-300 as well, which is what I am trying to avoid in the first place) that's pretty much a non-starter. Plus, a small town journalist, I avoid a lot of income tax by avoiding a lot of income, so cost is pretty high on my priority list for this purchase.

Well, that's really a problem because you won't find weather sealing in any of the non-L lenses as far as I know. Maybe a 2nd hand lens can serve you well. In any case, rain sleeves like these seem to be a good alternative and maybe a better alternative. It can be more useful in a lot of ways.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Rain-Capes-Covers-Slickers/ci/3313/N/4075788778

For photojournalists, I think the Sigma version 18-250 will serve you well. IQ isn't so important in photo journalism as most of your print won't be big enough to notice a lot of difference in terms of IQ. It's better if you don't change lenses during your coverage.

Upvote 0