Review: Canon imagePROGRAF Pro-300

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Keith over at Northlight has completed an exhaustive written review of the upcoming Canon imagePROGRAF Pro-300 printer. This review should tell you everything you need to know about the new printer from Canon.
From Northlight Images:
Compared to the previous PRO-10 and PRO-10S, the PRO-300 is slightly smaller and distinctly lighter.
It weighs just over 14kg (~31 lbs) a noticeable reduction from the ~20kg of the PRO-10S.
At 639 x 379 x 200 mm it’s also slightly smaller than the older PRO-10/10S (689 x 385 x 215 mm)
The screen is a welcome addition, especially for those of us who might not have the printer situated right next to their computer. It would have been nice to be touch sensitive…
The wireless options are useful, but unfortunately not being able to use the wired interface at the same time is irksome. This means that I can’t for example use the speed and reliability of my ethernet and have wireless available for occasional...

Continue reading...

I've actually still got the PRO-300 here at the moment - as well as the Epson P700 that I've just reviewed.

If anyone has any specifi questions about either, let me know here or via th Northlight site

These are also the first reviews where I've tried making some short videos to go with them - looks like I'll be wanting an R5 after all ;-)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
I can’t for example use the speed and reliability of my ethernet and have wireless available for occasional direct prints from my iPhone
I got a few dumb questions: why doesn't the phone communicate to the printer via the wifi router into the wired network? Does the printer seriously demand an ad-hoc direct wifi connection to the phone?? Or does this guy just not have his router configured to allow wifi-wired communication?

Upvote 0
I got a few dumb questions: why doesn't the phone communicate to the printer via the wifi router into the wired network? Does the printer seriously demand an ad-hoc direct wifi connection to the phone?? Or does this guy just not have his router configured to allow wifi-wired communication?
From "this guy" ... :)
Any use of wireless disables the wired LAN
So, yes you can go from phone through to the printer via the WiFi/LAN, but I was showing direct connections in the review and noted that it skewered the wired connection.

Read the review for examples...

From the settings

_MG_2400.JPG

_MG_2401.JPG

Upvote 0
I don't think you are understanding Keith, it is possible for modern Canon printers to communicate to wireless devices through ethernet. I do this at home with my Canon printers with my phones and Macs over wifi, even though my printers are connected with ethernet.
Sure you can do that - mind you, it does assume a linked wireless network.

I raised this with Canon, who noted that for for some reason, what you could do with their more basic printers, you couldn't do quite the same with the 300
There is only a limited amount I tested this respect, so I left it at that.

Mainly I wanted to show (as in the example in the review) using an ad hoc connection.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Obviously once the printers are connected to a LAN with an Ethernet cable they are addressable by any device connected to the LAN - wired or wireless - it would be weird if they would not be.

But the WiFi device needs then to be connected to the LAN WiFi using the LAN WiFi credentials - you can't let someone print directly to the printer using local printer connection and credentials if the printer WiFi is disabled once the wired connection is active.

Upvote 0
Obviously once the printers are connected to a LAN with an Ethernet cable they are addressable by any device connected to the LAN - wired or wireless - it would be weird if they would not be.

But the WiFi device needs then to be connected to the LAN WiFi using the LAN WiFi credentials - you can't let someone print directly to the printer using local printer connection and credentials if the printer WiFi is disabled once the wired connection is active.
Yes, that's it

Upvote 0
I've actually still got the PRO-300 here at the moment - as well as the Epson P700 that I've just reviewed.

If anyone has any specifi questions about either, let me know here or via th Northlight site

These are also the first reviews where I've tried making some short videos to go with them - looks like I'll be wanting an R5 after all ;-)

how to print money?

• Haha
Upvote 0
Why is there a maximum page length? Obviously the page width is limited by the size of the printer, but why can't you print a 500 inch long image if you want?
On the PRO-300 It's a software/firmware limit.
There's no good reason for this other than perhaps a combination of engineering design conservatism and the dead hand of marketing ;-)

The P700 (with roll support) has an 18m limit

This from my look at making long prints on the 700

long-print.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Because the ink is way for affordable for the Pro 300 than the 1000, it appeals to me as someone who would be just getting into printing. That said, I still don't have a good idea on how many prints I could realistically expect to get out of a set of ink cartridges for the 300 vs. the 1000... Keith?
It's difficult to say from my testing, since I do a lot of non-standard printing.

This is from initial setting up, so starting with reduced levels.
By the time I did these photos for the review I'd replaced CO, PBK and grey. Four others were flashing low (M/PM/C/Y)
test-prints.jpg

profiling-and-test-prints.jpg

Upvote 0
It's difficult to say from my testing, since I do a lot of non-standard printing.

This is from initial setting up, so starting with reduced levels.
By the time I did these photos for the review I'd replaced CO, PBK and grey. Four others were flashing low (M/PM/C/Y)

That actually helps. Thanks Keith.

Upvote 0