RF-s - Lenses in excellent quality needed for the phantastic EOS-R7 (for photo-entusiasts, who don't need/want full-frame)!

Jan 27, 2020
There aren't many RF-S lenses because Canon only released crop RF cameras one year ago. Canon has stated that they try to produce around 8 new lenses per year. This seems to be a reasonable limit as Nikon seems to be doing about the same with the Z mount. Considering that Canon is also still filling out the RF lens lineup, and that users of RF mount FF cameras are far more likely to buy multiple lenses than crop camera buyers (who typically get the kit lens and perhaps one more), putting out 3 RF-S lenses in the first year seems quite logical. Three of the crop RF mount bodies seem positioned for beginners and low budget buyers who typically don't buy many lenses, while the other body (the R7) is positioned for sports, wildlife, birders, who will be buying RF telephoto lenses. And, of course, most higher end users who buy a crop body can also (and probably will also) be buying RF lenses to put on their crop cameras, not to mention the EF and EF-S lenses that are also available.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
There aren't many RF-S lenses because Canon only released crop RF cameras one year ago. Canon has stated that they try to produce around 8 new lenses per year. This seems to be a reasonable limit as Nikon seems to be doing about the same with the Z mount. Considering that Canon is also still filling out the RF lens lineup, and that users of RF mount FF cameras are far more likely to buy multiple lenses than crop camera buyers (who typically get the kit lens and perhaps one more), putting out 3 RF-S lenses in the first year seems quite logical. Three of the crop RF mount bodies seem positioned for beginners and low budget buyers who typically don't buy many lenses, while the other body (the R7) is positioned for sports, wildlife, birders, who will be buying RF telephoto lenses. And, of course, most higher end users who buy a crop body can also (and probably will also) be buying RF lenses to put on their crop cameras, not to mention the EF and EF-S lenses that are also available.
I found it interesting that the order shifted from EF-M, with the 18-150 available out the gate. Suggests it was a very popular lens (I use mine a lot). But I am surprised there’s no UWA zoom, that was an early release in EF-S snd EF-M.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
There aren't many RF-S lenses because Canon only released crop RF cameras one year ago...
In addition, there never were that many EF-S lenses in "excellent" quality. The only ones I would mention would be the 17-55 f2.8, 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 and the EF-S 10-22mm. Keeping in mind that all three of the lenses never got updated since introduction, it's likely they weren't big sellers among EF-S lenses. I expect that eventually Canon will offer one or two better quality RF-S lenses in the wide to normal range, but I don't expect there to be more than two or three.

Upvote 0

photofrankdzi

APS-C fan hopes for "L"- qualitiy - CANON-Lenses
Feb 13, 2023
In addition, there never were that many EF-S lenses in "excellent" quality. The only ones I would mention would be the 17-55 f2.8, 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 and the EF-S 10-22mm. Keeping in mind that all three of the lenses never got updated since introduction, it's likely they weren't big sellers among EF-S lenses. I expect that eventually Canon will offer one or two better quality RF-S lenses in the wide to normal range, but I don't expect there to be more than two or three.
I like my R7.
I am Canon - User for about min. 30 Years.
I don't want/need Fullformat for me.
I don't want to use Starters - Lenses only!
I don't want to buy and to carry full-format Lenses with too much useless Glass (for my R7)!
I know other Producers. Whenever these have comparable focus-capabilities I might switch to them, if Canon let me stand alone with my RF-s ad they did before with my EOS-M 6 mk II .

Upvote 0

photofrankdzi

APS-C fan hopes for "L"- qualitiy - CANON-Lenses
Feb 13, 2023
I think, that could become true (and I have to switch to the APS-C - LENS KINGS/QUEENS: Fujifilm).
BUT the R7 is so good!
I really would like staying with CANON (User for nearly 40 years).
I still hope for some CANON-deciders,
who might agree with me and some other photo-fans which like APS-c and Canon.
If they are interested in people/Portrait they need good Lenses which have comparable ranges as following Lenses have for fullframe:
RF 28-70
RF 24-70
RF 24-105 f4
at R7 they are all not deep enough at the lower end
and RF 14-35 f4 is not high enough at the high end (for R7) for this purpose.
And always much weight and money useless!
And no - I don't want an R8!!!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Looking at Canon history, APS-C sensors are aimed at the consumer/budget segment. The occasional lens exceptions, i.e., the one and only constant-aperture zoom, the one and only f/1.4 prime, are just that…exceptions. The 7-series bodies are really aimed at those wanting ‘reach’ but unable to afford longer lenses. The long update cycle for them suggests that market is of lower importance to Canon.

In the current environment of a shift to profit being driven by affluent amateurs, I think there will be even less emphasis on APS-C.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Looking at Canon history, APS-C sensors are aimed at the consumer/budget segment. The occasional lens exceptions, i.e., the one and only constant-aperture zoom, the one and only f/1.4 prime, are just that…exceptions. The 7-series bodies are really aimed at those wanting ‘reach’ but unable to afford longer lenses. The long update cycle for them suggests that market is of lower importance to Canon.

In the current environment of a shift to profit being driven by affluent amateurs, I think there will be even less emphasis on APS-C.
Or who can afford longer lenses but don't want to carry them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I like my R7.
I am Canon - User for about min. 30 Years.
I don't want/need Fullformat for me.
I don't want to use Starters - Lenses only!
I don't want to buy and to carry full-format Lenses with too much useless Glass (for my R7)!
I know other Producers. Whenever these have comparable focus-capabilities I might switch to them, if Canon let me stand alone with my RF-s ad they did before with my EOS-M 6 mk II .
If you have been a Canon user for 30 years and never used full frame, then what EF-S lenses were you using? Canon could well release some version of the three I mentioned, although I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the 17-55 f2.8.

Upvote 0
I think some of you are forgetting some of the amazing ef-s glass than canon DID release
Yes, the 17-55 is widely known and respected. I have it and I’m not a fan
But let’s not forget the STM triplets 10-18,18-55 & 55-250
Or
Ef-s 24 pancake
Ef-s 35mm macro
Ef-s 60mm macro
Ef-s 15-85 usm
I own all those plus the others that rarely get mentioned 18-135stm, 18-200usm.
Also have all the ef-m lenses too
They are all bloody good.

It’s a shame canon dropped the M system. The missing M7 combining the best of the M6ii and M50ii would have been sweet as would a few more fast primes. The ef-m 32/1.4 is just incredible.

The R5/R6ii and RF L glass is more than I’m prepared to pay - not so much that I can’t afford it, I simply just can’t justify it - there is a difference!!

Upvote 0