Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2011
If you are talking about DSLRs Nikon uses it to differentiate between sports/low light camera and they high MP studio camera.
The Nikon D3s is 12MP and 9fps while the the D3x is much slower with 24mp.

At some point I'm sure we'll have a D4x and D4s.

Canon doesn't really seem to have a set routine for using S and X. They do have the 1Ds which differentiates it from the 1D as being full frame. But I don't know why they chose an "s".

Upvote 0
EYEONE said:
If you are talking about DSLRs Nikon uses it to differentiate between sports/low light camera and they high MP studio camera.
The Nikon D3s is 12MP and 9fps while the the D3x is much slower with 24mp.

At some point I'm sure we'll have a D4x and D4s.

Canon doesn't really seem to have a set routine for using S and X. They do have the 1Ds which differentiates it from the 1D as being full frame. But I don't know why they chose an "s".
Thank you! That is exactly what I was wondering! :)

Upvote 0
I've always assumed that s on th 1Ds line stood for studion, but that's all it is, an assumption. The 1D X supposedly got its designation because it was the tenth professional EOS camera, although I've only been able to count nine, so I've lost one somewhere. Maybe someone wants to visit and lose their 1D MkVI/X in my house :p.

Upvote 0
EYEONE said:
I've always been under the assumption that the S indicates a higher end model. Although most would argue that the 1D serves a fundamentally different purpose (sports) than the 1Ds series (landscape, studio), one cannot argue about the price hike for the 1Ds.

The same goes for Canon's camcorders. Note the XL1 and XL1s, XHA1 and XHA1s, and the XLH1a (no HD-SDI, genlock, or timecode) and XLH1s.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.