Shoot 2K, 3K & 4K on a T2i/550D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Canon 5D Mark II Team

drs said:
BTW how can a camera produce 8 K or 16 K when the sensor is not able to produce that even in still? Is there none who get this, that it is a joke?

The original post is serious (or at least claims to be, we will find out today).

The video you are referring to is a parody - there are quite a few clues to help you work this out - like the phrase "IT'S A PARODY" in the description - or perhaps the part where it says "Please don't take it seriously!!!!!!!!!!!".

Upvote 0
J

jonah

CamaJan said:
Its real but will do nothing for you practicly but only produce 4k resolution clips at 1GB per minute, offering sharpness of really good 720p... Enjoy!
:p

Exactly. Like I was saying before, a hardware limitation causes the camera to only read about half the lines on the sensor and to create a 1080p image from that, which isn't actually anywhere close to real 1080p because there just isn't enough information coming from the sensor for that.

This is just a better way to encode that inadequate signal. This makes 4k absolutely pointless, but perhaps 2k with a higher bitrate could be an improvement over what we have now. The extra resolution is pointless, but maybe better compression could be a significant difference.

The links I posted about this before:
http://prolost.com/blog/2009/12/3/you-didnt-believe-me.html
http://prolost.com/blog/2010/9/2/ha-ha-very-funny-canon-now-get-back-to-work.html

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
*UPDATE* It was a Hoax

HTML:
<p><strong>Planet5D Exclusive</strong>

Mitch at Planet5D has been given some “exclusive” information.</p>
<blockquote><p>We’ve been given nothing to prove that this software is real yet, so we’re posting this just as it was given to us – and we’ve been told that 11:11pm EST is still the time where the software will be released. “URL will be available at 11:11. There will be a link in the youtube video that will go up at 11:11.”</p></blockquote>
<p><strong><a href="http://blog.planet5d.com/2011/01/planet5d-exclusive-update-on-the-4k-canon-rebel-t2i550d-software/">Read More at Planet5D</a></strong></p>
<p><strong>Sorry</strong>

It turns out the 4K firmware was a bunch of rubbish.</p>
<p>As someone who has dealt with Canon’s legal department, I can assure you they wouldn’t pay out $6.50, let alone $650,000. If you’re going to lie, at least make it believable.</p>
<p>I will never fall for such crap again unless I’m given the software/hack beforehand to test out.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://philipbloom.net/2010/12/30/shoot-2k-3k-and-4k-on-the-canon-550d-t2i-coming-in-2-weeks/">Read More at Philip Bloom</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Upvote 0
J

jayphotoworks

I've always relied on CR for decent intel, I can't believe there are some true oddballs out there starting off 2011 in such bad taste..

The youtube video posted at 11:11pm with the supposed link to the firmware turned out to be a seriously passe-rickrolling video. This is 2011, and rickrolling went out of style way back in 2009. I believed the creator of the hoax left us with such "wishful thinking" originally when he decided to use 11:11pm as the launch time, and everyone fell for it.

What bothers me is that why someone would drag an innocent interviewer into the mess, along with his own entourage of family videos on youtube. I notice that his family videos are all private now, and probably for his own good measure.

The backlash that the hoax creator receives is his own undoing!

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Bob Howland said:
dilbert said:
spam said:
Canon Rumors said:
I removed all traces of the hoax from the site, I will leave the forum stuff up for now.

IMO posting it was OK, it's a rumor site. Removing it is "editing history" and should never be done.

Agreed.

I agree also.

I disagree.... here's the problem(s) that will arise.

If the hoax was left on the main blog, it would be search engine available until the end of time. I would receive emails and comments for eternity in regards to the firmware.

For example..... this post.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/03/canon-pro9500-icc-profiles-for-epson-papers/

I receive 4-5 requests weekly for the profiles that it clearly says I couldn't make properly, and that post is a year and a half old, search engines are powerful. The 4K firmware would illicit a lot more responses.

I also look at it this way.......

The 4K firmware was not a rumor, it was a lie from the start. The same type of lying I don't post on CR anymore. I try hard to filter out the BS. I also do not want to give any publicity to the folks that perpetrated the lie. This also separates it from standard "rumor" fare, there's identities involved. If I post something that isn't true, at least it wasn't sent to me for self serving reasons. It's why I don't post "rumors" that are posted on online retail store sites, they do it for traffic, no other reason.

It also seems a little unethical that I'd make money on traffic generated by something that was obviously a bad faith lie. Again, something I'm trying hard not to post anymore. Some stuff may turn out to be untrue anyway, but I know there are reasons things don't work out at a specific time beyond it being a lie.

I left the post on the forums to remain true to what was posted and let people discuss, flame, and make fun of the 4K firmware. The forum doesn't receive the same treatment by Google and other search engines. There's also a small post on CR to send people here if they want to read about it. I haven't "edited history", I've just moved where the history will be stored. If it matters to people, it will sit at the top of the forum posts area on canon rumors, if they don't care it will disappear into the depth of the forum database and will probably be left alone by search engines.

I hope I explained myself well. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Cheers
CR

Upvote 0
C

CCPhoto

CanonRumors guy,

I'll echo: Very well put. I was another "don't revise history" person, but after reading you state your case, I agree. None of us want to reward the hoaxters, and as you say, leaving the posts up would drive search engine traffic to them.

Anyway, good job. I've been a lurker until now, but I just wanted to speak up to say that its nice to see a site admin that is honest, straightforward and open to explaining his/her rationale. Helps keep the internet a sane place...

Now, moving on, when can we expect that 5D3? ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.