shopping around

C

campton

Didn't know where to post this

Im currently a student studying film and we shoot on the 7D and 5D mostly on the 7.
Im shopping to buy my first camera and I keep seeing that a 5D replacement is on its way
my question is should I just buy a 7D which I enjoy or keep saving and get a MkIII whenever
it happens to come out.

also if anyone has any suggestion on a basic couple lenses I should get that would help
I know I want a 50mm 1.4

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
The 5D MK III is only rumored, and, no one will know about it right up until a week or two before its announced. Actually, there may be some accurate leaks, but there are so many who make up their own leaks or wish list that its impossible to determine if there is anything accurate out there.

We all believe it will likely be announced in a year or less. I would suggest that you trade in a old broken film SLR using the Canon Loyalty Program for a Refurbished 7D. I did, and mine was basically new, but cost a lot less.

When time comes to upgrade, you will be able to sell it at minimal loss. Just make sure that video accessories you buy are going to be ones that can be used on a future camera, high quality mic's, lighting, tripod and head, lenses, ND filters, external monitors, audio recorders, etc. Thats where the real money is spent if you are into serious video.

Upvote 0
I

intown

Thanks for this post. I am in a similar position, would love for the 5Diii to be out but have a feeling it will be 8-10 months until it is available for purchase. I will be using the camera for filming interviews and product reviews both in a studio setting as well as family (I have a 3month and a 3 year old) and hobby photos.

I am pretty set on going with a 60D body. Just trying to figure out the right lens.

First I was thinking of a prime around 30mm, now I am thinking a wide angle zoom will be more versatile. Trying to decide between the EF 24-70 f/2.8L or the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM like mr.ranger mentioned.

@mr.ranger do you think the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM is the better way to go? It feels sort of weird buying a lens that is only limited to a crop body, but the reviews indicate it is sharper than the EF 24-70 on a crop body.

Do you think the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM could work well for filming video in a studio setting?

Which lens would you go with for a Canon 60D?

Thanks so much! -- Steven

Upvote 0
I

ianhar

intown said:
Thanks for this post. I am in a similar position, would love for the 5Diii to be out but have a feeling it will be 8-10 months until it is available for purchase. I will be using the camera for filming interviews and product reviews both in a studio setting as well as family (I have a 3month and a 3 year old) and hobby photos.

I am pretty set on going with a 60D body. Just trying to figure out the right lens.

First I was thinking of a prime around 30mm, now I am thinking a wide angle zoom will be more versatile. Trying to decide between the EF 24-70 f/2.8L or the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM like mr.ranger mentioned.

@mr.ranger do you think the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM is the better way to go? It feels sort of weird buying a lens that is only limited to a crop body, but the reviews indicate it is sharper than the EF 24-70 on a crop body.

Do you think the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM could work well for filming video in a studio setting?

Which lens would you go with for a Canon 60D?

Thanks so much! -- Steven

For cropped sensor ef-s 17-55 is better because of the 1.6x magnification. It will help you a lot indoor if you dont have much space.

However its alway best for you to go to any lens rental a rent the lens for few days and try it out yourself before buying it.

You dont want to spend thousands of dollar on lens just because someone told you its good

Upvote 0
The 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM might be a option too. It has a constant aperture, IS (both very useful for film), quite some reach and it is full-frame compatible.

But it all depends on what you film/shoot and where, e.g. indoors low-light, outdoors documentary, sports, etc.
So first check what focal range you need, if you don't need anything wider than 38mm on a crop camera then a 24-xx lens would do. Also since you don't need AF for video you could consider a MF lens (e.g. Zeiss, anyone using a CP.2 on a 5D/7D here?) or an alternative brand that has better manual focus. I dislike the wobbly focus ring on my 50 f/1.4, I am thinking about replacing it with Sigma or Zeiss.

Don't wait for either the 7D Mk II or the 5D Mk III. When the 5D III is released you might get a Mk II for a good price, it will still be an excellent camera (and it uses the same battery as the 7D which is a nice bonus).

Upvote 0
I

intown

@mr.ranger and @ianhar Thanks so much for the advice. Your experience is really appreciated.

I talked with one on my neighbors (who has a 1D? and 5Dii) and he will let me borrow a couple of inexpensive primes once I get my body. This way I do not feel rushed and will be able to tryout several lenses.

I think I was assuming that there is an absolute but perhaps when looking at similar lenses, subjectivity and gut feel start to play a bigger role.

Thanks again for the advice! -- Steven

Upvote 0