Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG Art Series Lens Shipping on April 7?

ahsanford said:
Just pre-ordered at 12:05 a.m.

The price, it turns out, is $1399, a bit more than expected, but not by too much.

Curious, I know it's not exactly the same FL / aperture combo as the 135L, but is this the first time an Art lens costs more than its L counterpart?

- A

I do not think that this is the first time a Sigma lens cost less then the Canon lens.

The 50 mm 1.4 set of lenses is probably the best example. I don't know many people who would argue that the Cannon version of that focal length should cost more than the Sigma. While there are those who have experienced auto focus issues with some of the sigma lenses, at least they don't break apart.

So I think expectations were merely met when we saw the 135 mm lens come out at a higher price.

The fact that Sigma feels comfortable charging $1400 for a lens, which is a lot for them for a fast prime, indicates that they recognize that the market is now excepting them as the superior choice in some focal lengths.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Chaitanya said:
Here is hands on with the beast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D7EXSlojXA

Looks awesome! The size is similar to the Sony 1.8 ZA. IMHO the only thing it's missing is IS. The guy mentioned 1/250 shooting mk4 handheld, and that's a reasonable speed for it. On the 5dsr it would be 1/320. Not a problem in a good light though, especially wide open, but in low light it better be stabilized.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ahsanford said:
Curious, I know it's not exactly the same FL / aperture combo as the 135L, but is this the first time an Art lens costs more than its L counterpart?

- A

I do not think that this is the first time a Sigma lens cost less more then the Canon lens.

The 50 mm 1.4 set of lenses is probably the best example. I don't know many people who would argue that the Cannon version of that focal length should cost more than the Sigma. While there are those who have experienced auto focus issues with some of the sigma lenses, at least they don't break apart.

Corrected you above -- I presume that was a typo.

I was referring to L lenses. Has Canon L ever been outcharged by Sigma for a like-for-like (FL + aperture + IS or no IS) spec'd lens? I believe this is the first time.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
I was referring to L lenses. Has Canon L ever been outcharged by Sigma for a like-for-like (FL + aperture + IS or no IS) spec'd lens? I believe this is the first time.

- A

Hmm... white box price of the 24-105L vs. Sigma's 24-105A.

Just wait for the 135L replacement, then all will be restored in the pricing world unfortunately.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Sigma 135 F1.8 Art preorder at camerastore.com.au (SA, Australia)

Price: A$1,495.00 (US$1,126.00) with free shipping and taxes inclusive.

https://www.camerastore.com.au/sigma-135mm-f1-8-art-series-lens-canon-ef-mount.html

First shipment of the lens into country was sold out in a matter of hours and next one is expected to hit Australian shores in approx. 6 weeks from now. Retailer advised that number of lenses they have on order now doubled in recent days due to unusually high market demand for the lens.
My order was stock allocated, apparently, and will be shipped in next few days.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
SecureGSM said:
Sigma 135 F1.8 Art preorder at camerastore.com.au (SA, Australia)

Price: A$1,495.00 (US$1,126.00) with free shipping and taxes inclusive.

https://www.camerastore.com.au/sigma-135mm-f1-8-art-series-lens-canon-ef-mount.html

First shipment of the lens into country was sold out in a matter of hours and next one is expected to hit Australian shores in approx. 6 weeks from now. Retailer advised that number of lenses they have on order now doubled in recent days due to unusually high market demand for the lens.
My order was stock allocated, apparently, and will be shipped in next few days.

Wow, it's much cheaper the US price. And wow again - had no idea 135mm is such a popular focal length :) I'm personally looking forward to play with this baby too.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
AE-1Burnham said:
Hi all. Why couldn't they just put OS in this and sell it for more?!

Because lens design isn't just "putting things in" as if it were some sort of a checklist where all that matters is "protecting" other products in the lineup? That sort of thinking is pretty insulting to the engineers involved.

OS means there has to be a stabilization group somewhere. That will complicate the design and potentially require compromising optical quality. With the huge elements in this beast of a lens, the electromagnets to drive the stabilizer would have to be beefy. The lens is already huge, what would it look like with OS? And how much more would it cost? Are you sure it would sell more at the increased price point, especially considering that the primary target audience of this lens has little need for stabilization and would have to pay extra for a useless feature?

Upvote 0