Mar 25, 2011
I bought a old Sigma 600mm Mirror lens today from a Craigslist seller for $75 and mounted it to my SL2 just to see how bad the images were with a high MP body. First I tried hand holding at 1000 sec. No Go, blurry images. So I drug out my big heavy tripod with geared head and put it on my back porch. The top of Mt Spokane was totally hidden by smoke, so I focused on my garden a few hundred feet away.

I did not expect much, and I was rewarded. The wind was blowing enough to make it difficult. At ISO 2000, the sensor noise was starkly apparent, so I dropped the shutter speed down to 1/125. Slight blurring looked better than noise or the image with NR.

For a manual lens, I set it to Tv with auto ISO and -2/3 stop correction.

This made the image come out at 1/125 sec ISO 100. The lens is fixed at f/8. Sounds like the old rule of 8 eh.

I really liked the swivel LCD, I could touch the spot I wanted to view at 1X, 5X or 10X and manually focus on that spot. I should have set a shutter delay, but with the wind blowing, it likely did not matter.

In any event, here it is. I did adjust lighting, sharpness, etc of the image to my taste. The focus was on the corn silk. It actually looked better than I expected, the old lens is certainly not up to the digital age, but I could not argue with the price.

untitled0001-2-XL.jpg

I was surprised by the shallow depth of field