Small Mammals

Aug 10, 2021
Not a thread I have ever posted in. Here though is a shot from yesterday evening in the warm setting sun of a squirrel eating beech nuts in one of my trees. It's one of the US invading grey squirrels, and as cute as they are I don't like them as they forage birds nests. R7/700mm.

View attachment 211508
I don't think there is any solution to the squirrel problem

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I'm kind of puzzled by the number of tails there?! Are you sure they are only three?
it was a confusing mess of tails wasn't it? I looked back at the other photos from the series it's only the three. The tail of the one on the small branch is first visible above it's back moving slightly to the left before abruptly curving to the right. The squirrel behind it on the larger branch's tail is in s "3" shape, but with the the top left part continuing almost like a duck bill in a 30 degree angle to the upper left.
Maybe those long and flexible tails give some advantage with confusing predators?

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
it was a confusing mess of tails wasn't it? I looked back at the other photos from the series it's only the three. The tail of the one on the small branch is first visible above it's back moving slightly to the left before abruptly curving to the right. The squirrel behind it on the larger branch's tail is in s "3" shape, but with the the top left part continuing almost like a duck bill in a 30 degree angle to the upper left.
Maybe those long and flexible tails give some advantage with confusing predators?
I have no idea about predators but you just proved it does confuse the photogs :LOL:!
My own hypotheses is that the long flexible tails are used for balance when jumping from branch to branch or some other commotions...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0