So the 50mm f/nooneknows IS guy is renting a 50 f/1.2L...

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
slclick said:
Thx for the report. I also have been playing the waiting game for Canon to come up with something better than the 1.4 and with IS but caved and jumped on a good priced Sigma Art 50. I had the 35 in the past but I have to say the 50 nails focus almost all of the time unlike the 35 which was 50 % when under f/2.8. I also did not need a AFMA with it even though I just built my own DIY checker. As a previous owner of all three versions of the Nifty Fifty the Youngnuo clone and the Canon 1.4 I can say I am happy...satiated.

Which body are you using it with, if you don't mind sharing?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Also, as a side note, using the 50L as my primary and 28 f/2.8 IS as my wider other lens for the trip, my focusing experience was night and day between the two. I fully recognize how much newer and easier an f/2.8 is to resolve, but the entire focusing experience more responsive, effective, and personally fulfilling with the smaller non-L lens. That lens has impeccable AF for my needs.

So this rental 100% reinforced what I want with the 50mm f/nooneknows IS USM: alongside improving the optics, putting a modern/reliable/consistent/fast AF setup on it is an absolute must. It's a massive part of fulfilling the potential of 'the small DOF experience' for me.

- A

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
YuengLinger said:
slclick said:
Thx for the report. I also have been playing the waiting game for Canon to come up with something better than the 1.4 and with IS but caved and jumped on a good priced Sigma Art 50. I had the 35 in the past but I have to say the 50 nails focus almost all of the time unlike the 35 which was 50 % when under f/2.8. I also did not need a AFMA with it even though I just built my own DIY checker. As a previous owner of all three versions of the Nifty Fifty the Youngnuo clone and the Canon 1.4 I can say I am happy...satiated.

Which body are you using it with, if you don't mind sharing?

5D3

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
ahsanford said:
Also, as a side note, using the 50L as my primary and 28 f/2.8 IS as my wider other lens for the trip, my focusing experience was night and day between the two. I fully recognize how much newer and easier an f/2.8 is to resolve, but the entire focusing experience more responsive, effective, and personally fulfilling with the smaller non-L lens. That lens has impeccable AF for my needs.

So this rental 100% reinforced what I want with the 50mm f/nooneknows IS USM: alongside improving the optics, putting a modern/reliable/consistent/fast AF setup on it is an absolute must. It's a massive part of fulfilling the potential of 'the small DOF experience' for me.

- A

Thank you very much for posting, for following through with your thoughts. Looking forward to a few shared images.

Do you think some of the misses were due to focus shift?

I'm just waiting too. I tried the Sigma 50mm Art, two copies, had inconsistent AF and less than exciting image quality--apart from excellent sharpness when AF did work. I MIGHT be willing to give it another look if overwhelming evidence showed it to have reliable AF on the 5DIV. Still, waiting for a magic Canon allows me to yearn...

Happy New Year!

(And thanks, slclick, for telling us you have such good luck with your 5DIII. Strange beast, that Art.)

Upvote 0