Speedlite RT Trigger not working

I have used the Canon ST-E3-RT (version 1) trigger with the 430 EX III-RT and 600EX-RT (version 1) flashes for off camera flash for several years. Previously they worked flawlessly but now the signal gets dropped within a minute of switching everything on. The units are all on the same channel and have the same ID with fresh batteries. The only way to re-establish connection is to turn everything off and then on again. Unfortunately, the signal will again drop after another minute or so. This happens when I use the 430 EX III-RT to trigger another 430 EX III-RT or if I use the 600 EX RT to trigger the 430 EX III RT units or if I use the ST-E3-RT to trigger the flashes (one at a time or all three flashes together)

The flashes are within 5 feet of each other with no intervening barriers such as a wall.

This has happened to me indoors and outdoors, at several different locations.

I used a friend's Godox trigger/receivers at some of the same locations and they worked flawlessly.

Several others have mentioned this in various forums and suggested that there could be interference from wifi systems or even LED lights. To test this, I turned off my wifi and then all electricity to my house. Unfortunately, the problem persisted.

I contacted Canon and their response was to say that they are "aware of the problem but have no solution".

Has anyone else encountered this and, if so, what solution do you suggest? Spend more money on another trigger system (seems counterintuitive since this system was created for off camera flash), sell Canon flash and buy "knock off" versions?

Any help would be much appreciated.

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
It's happening to many people, including me. There's a few massive threads at Canon Community.
Consensus is that it's wifi interference affecting the Speedlites.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Danfaz:

Thanks for your reply. So sad that in order to use the "Canon" Radio trigger, you had to buy additional Godox equipment. Canon is now promoting it's newest speedlites (EL 1 and EL5) but, if I'm not mistaken, they will rely upon the same system that we currently have that doesn't work.

So, when one of your Canon speedlite eventually dies, will you buy a Godox speedlite or keep wasting money on Canon?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Odd. I’ve been using the Canon RT system for over a decade, never had any issues with the link dropping. I have four 600 flashes, started with the ST-E3 and now use the ST-E10 though I frequently trigger with an 600 on-camera.

Indoors, outdoors, home and public venues, never an issue. In terms of interference, my home Wi-Fi network has dozens of devices on it, with many on the 2.4 GHz band including streaming security cameras.

I wonder if these issues represent a hardware problem.

Upvote 0
Odd. I’ve been using the Canon RT system for over a decade, never had any issues with the link dropping. I have four 600 flashes, started with the ST-E3 and now use the ST-E10 though I frequently trigger with an 600 on-camera.

Indoors, outdoors, home and public venues, never an issue. In terms of interference, my home Wi-Fi network has dozens of devices on it, with many on the 2.4 GHz band including streaming security cameras.

I wonder if these issues represent a hardware problem.
In other forums, many photographers have reported the same problem. Some have apparently sent their trigger/flashes to Canon for "repair" but only to continue to have the same problem, so a "hardware problem" seems unlikely.

Upvote 0