Tamron Announces the SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2

I've been happy with my Canon 70-200mm F4 IS for two reasons: price and weight (it's also super sharp, I got a lucky one). Easier to carry around. The current Tamron was always a temptation due to the price, but the focus speed was just poor enough in lower light that I knew I wasn't willing to move to it.

But this new one, even though it comes in at practically the same weight as the Canon, may push me to give in. **If the autofocus is improved.** Fortunately focus breathing is not an issue for me in the way I use this lens (reading Dustin's post on that speculation). If the press release claims are even half true, we will be pretty happy with it.

Upvote 0
awinphoto said:
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
awinphoto said:
Any idea on if the zoom is internal or external?

Internal.

Thanks... That would have been a deal breaker for me... =)

I don't know that I've ever seen an externally zooming 70-200mm lens in the past 20 years.

Upvote 0
awinphoto said:
awinphoto said:
Any idea on if the zoom is internal or external?

Internal.

Thanks... That would have been a deal breaker for me... =)

I don't know that I've ever seen an externally zooming 70-200mm lens in the past 20 years.

True, but with other lenses like the 75-300L, 100-400L and other 3rd party lenses, it does make me second guess.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2011
It will still probably be a couple of weeks before I have one in hand, but I've been pouring over this press release for, well, let's just say longer than most CR readers, and it seems to address most issues that I had with the previous one (which I actually really like, overall, and have owned for 3.5 years). One thing that still isn't up to par is the maximum reproduction, that, as some noticed, has improved but still not to the Canon level (and FAR from Tamron's first 70-200 lens that had about a 1:3 reproduction ratio). The new lens will focus down much more closely, but definitely does a LOT of focus breathing. This reminds me of a number of new Canon zooms, however, including the 70-300L, the new Canon 70-300 IS II (a BIG focus breather), and, oddly enough, the 100-400L II. The latter has a great magnification figure of 0.29x, but does it by an extremely short MFD that compensates for a LOT of focus breathing.

Upside? All three of those Canon lenses perform very well at MFD, unlike some lenses in the past that didn't focus breathe but also had poorer optical performance near MFD. Hopefully the Tamron is the same.

P.S. I've had some off the record conversations with a few with early access, and they say the lens is fantastic.

I'll be awaiting your review, Dustin. They are always very informative and straight forward.

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
I spoke with my local authorized tamron dealer here in the Philippines and he stated that they would have these in stock by the end of this month. I plan to get one soon as I can, but will likely be around the first of April as I will be in Malaysia for a few weeks on a photo trip in March.. But I will be reviewing it as well soon as I can.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Nininini said:
Haven't bothered with a zoom under f/4.0 in a few years now. One extra stop just isn't worth the extra cost and weight when the latest canon bodies have super clean ISO.

That's fine apparently for your needs. Kudos to you. But I gotta say, as an owner of the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS (Mk I version), I absolutely love the subject isolation you can get with the 2.8 aperture...see attached photo. (PS: I too am just a hobbyist with a very limited photo equipment budget, a friend was selling his and allowed me to pay him in installments. To me, it was worth every penny of the $1,300USD I paid him, and he had just sent in the lens to Canon for a thorough "once-over")

Attachments

• DPP_0931.JPG
    DPP_0931.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 216
Upvote 0
I was just thinking about getting the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II when this announcement was made. Now I will wait for the first tests on this one. In several tests the first Tamron version was already almost on a par with the Canon, with only minor superiority of the seemgly almost perfect Canon lens. So if this new version by Tamron has really improved maybe it will be as good as the Canon.

I just wonder if it will have less focus-breathing and will still be significantly cheaper than the Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, which is still around 1900 €

Upvote 0
I'm sure now Sigma will release a version 1% better in some way in a few months rendering this one obsolete. Pre-Orders will be fulfilled just in time for Canon to release the 70-200 2.8 III. By next Christmas we will have a Tamron V3, soon after the Sigma "Sport" version and then Nikon will come out with something better and then the leapfrogging will continue.

Upvote 0
I would hate to see associated price leapfrogging though. Look at the new Nikon 70-200 price. It is almost ridiculous, if you asked me.

rstoddard11 said:
I'm sure now Sigma will release a version 1% better in some way in a few months rendering this one obsolete. Pre-Orders will be fulfilled just in time for Canon to release the 70-200 2.8 III. By next Christmas we will have a Tamron V3, soon after the Sigma "Sport" version and then Nikon will come out with something better and then the leapfrogging will continue.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Ryananthony said:
Matt Granger's Close focus and Bokeh test of the Tamron 70-200mm G2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYXzborVt84

Thanks for that link. It wasn't much, but wow. What there was was WOW! In my opinion it blew away his older VR II. Contrast, color, and reproduction ration...pretty amazing. And the bokeh was much better than the VR II. It will be very interesting indeed when Dustin Abbott does his review and Bryan Carnathan over at TDP does his... Makes me consider selling my Canon Mk I and buying this new Tamron, should be about a wash $$-wise. For way newer tech and much better performance. (Not that there's anything wrong with my Canon Mk I) (Note: Canon Mk I = 70-200mm f2.8L IS

Upvote 0
I tested the G2 today with both Nikon and Canon full frame bodies for more than 1 hour - mostly with my canon. The Canon was 5dMK3. Here are the issues I saw with canon
- Turning on the VC makes the focus a bit weird. It felt like finding the focused object but just stopping short of it then then locking the correct focus - something like a two step process. Observed this when i completely defocussed the lens each time. In normal situations - when focus doesnt have to travel thru all the distance, I didnt see this issue (Nikon also had this but lot lot less times)
- Locking focus is a tiny bit slower with VC on in mode 1 and 3. I didnt test mode 2.
- In VC mode 1, the view finder appears to jump a bit. Doesnt affect the image quality though.
- Sometimes the VC took a while to respond after half-pressing the shutter in mode 1. But I couldnt reliably reproduce this issue with any particular sequence.

Upvote 0