Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Don Haines said:
Stewart K said:
there any updates on this one yet?
I think they started shipping already, so just wondering when we'll see any reviews!!

I've been promised one in about two weeks. They are just arriving to the distributors, but not to retail.
Likewise....

I intend to do a comparison of it to the old version, both pre Tap-in and post Tap-in... And the big lab at work is going to be empty in about 2 weeks so I can stay late and do an AFMA under near perfect conditions (I will resist the urge to turn on the vacuum pump to remove atmospheric variation :) )

LOL - that might be taking it too far :)
We can bring the temperature in the chamber down to about 6 or 7 Kelvin (-448 F)..... but somehow I doubt the camera would keep running or the lens would still focus...... I believe it is the second largest vacumn chamber in the world, plus it is vibration isolated! For many obvious reasons I won't use the actual chamber, but the main hallway gives me a 300 meter long indoor run with power so I can calibrate under much better conditions than at home..... And no kittens jumping on the AFMA target :)

Upvote 0
andrei1989 said:
this lens was announced at 1399$ but amazon germany have a preorder price of 1999€ :mad:
WTH?

Everything from everyone seems really inflated outside of the United States market - but that is really, really bad. I doubt that will be the street price. What does the Sigma Sport go for there? You can guarantee the Tamron will undercut it.

Upvote 0

HankMD

SLR newbie since July, 2012
Canon Rumors Premium
Oct 14, 2013
Taiwan
Stewart K said:
I think they started shipping already, so just wondering when we'll see any reviews!!

Not sure if this has been posted -- digitalrev has done a hands-on review:
http://www.digitalrev.com/article/tamron-sp-150-600mm-f-5-6-3-di-vc-usd-g2-review

Upvote 0
andrei1989 said:
this lens was announced at 1399$ but amazon germany have a preorder price of 1999€ :mad:
WTH?

I think that's just because the lens is not yet available. Another retailer @amazon.de is offering it for roughly 1700€. And the Nikon version is offered by Amazon for 1599€. Incidentally, that's the same prize AC-Foto wants for the Canon version ;)

https://www.ac-foto.com/onlineshop/v3/?s=detail&main=9237

Off all my camera stuff, I only bought one lens at amazon, and that was during the cyber week, so it was really cheap. But usually the prize difference is so little, if not totally non-existent, between amazon and other shops that I prefer to buy either locally or at dedicated camera online stores (AC-foto, Calumet, Foto-Koch, etc.). IMHO, they offer better service for camera gear than amazon, and if I buy a 2000€ lens that's worth more for me than a little prize difference.

BUT, you are right, considering the prizes in general we pay in Germany/Europe, for the camera gear. It's usually several hundreds € more than the prize is in US$!! Even if you take the tax of 19% into account, it's still a lot more.

Upvote 0
andrei1989 said:
WTH?

Everything from everyone seems really inflated outside of the United States market - but that is really, really bad. I doubt that will be the street price. What does the Sigma Sport go for there? You can guarantee the Tamron will undercut it.

You are very close with your estimate ;)
The Sigma Sport goes for around 1500€, while the new Tamron seems to start at around 1600€

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
HankMD said:
Stewart K said:

Not sure if this has been posted -- digitalrev has done a hands-on review:
http://www.digitalrev.com/article/tamron-sp-150-600mm-f-5-6-3-di-vc-usd-g2-review
Thanks Hank, the review doesn't really fill me with the desire to sell my V1 100-400L, although I'm extremely frustrated with the focal length, and it's simply rubbish with the 1.4Xtc3 :-[

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
I suppose that now Canon have “hinted” towards a 200-600 non L next year, this new Tammy will see less sales, wasn't that announcement/information very timely!!!!!!!!!!!
I really want to see a comparison between it and the Sigma 150-600 sport, now that’ll be a clincher for some extra sales in the Tammies favour!!!

Upvote 0

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
Colorado
When I was in Alaska last year, a fellow and his wife from the UK had the Sigma Sport. He let me play with it a bit, but I felt it too heavy and bulky for me. On the other hand he later sent me some sample photos that were spectacular. He is less than half my age and obviously could handle the beast. I was using the 400mm f/5.6, which was before I added the 100-400mm II to my kit. My whale photos were sharp enough, but he captured much better breaching whale shots that I never even saw!

Upvote 0