Tamron Will Announce a New 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens This Year

Nov 4, 2011
jalbfb said:
bart13 said:
If they change the way the focus ring turns to ' normal' i'm interested

That would be nice for us Canon shooters, but quite honestly, you get used to it fairly quickly. At least that was my experience.

1. Some people may get used to it. Me and many others do not. I had Tamron zooms in the past [28-75, 17-50] and sold them mainly for this reason. When I shoot intermittently with Canon zooms and those wrong-twisted Tamron zooms - eg. 1 body with Canon 70-200 and other camera with 3rd party 24-70 - i am missing shots in fast-paced situations, because I inevitably turn zoom ring the wrong direction first ... obnly then I see in viewfinder ... "oO ... wrong!" ... and have to start turning the other way = shot opportunity meanwhile lost.

2. I therefore consider *correctly* turning zoom (and focus) rings not as "nice", but as an absolute pre-reuqisite for any lens I would ever consider for purchase. [yes, I had Tamron zooms in the past 28-75 and 17-50, will not repeat that mistake]. Correct ring turn direction is not a "nice, optional feature", it is a basic product feature for any product and manufacturer who wants to be taken seriously.

3. Since it would be very simple and not very costly to equip zoom lenses with zoom ring direction matched to lens mount [something like 1 cog wheel slanted the other way + lettering changed], I take Tamron's failure to deliver such dysfunctional lenses as a sign of utter disrespect towards Canon users.

4. Of course it is also total stupidity as the by far largest installed base of cameras in the market have a Canon mount. Not Nikon, not Sony.

5. If Tamron and other 3rd party lens makers are not able or not willing to produce product versions that match zoom ring direction to the respective lens mount, then they should at the very minimum use CANON turn direction as their standard, not the wrong Nikon minority way, ffs.

Conclusion: keep it Tamron, no buy here.

Upvote 0
For 95%+ of my photography, I'm using AF, especially in fast paced situations. When I do use manual, it's in some deliberate setup and there is a lot of back and forth turning of the focus ring to get exactly the focus I want, so the direction of turning is not that important. Obviously the focus turn direction is a sore point for some and even a deal breaker. A deal breaker for me would be having no AF at all, so I can see the point.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
we are talking wrong direction of ZOOM ring here. For static scenes and for a few people it is no major isue, only disrespect for Canon user base.

In dynamic situations, e.g. all sorts of events, sports etc. it is a major PITA. Especially when you also use original Canon zooms intermittently at the same time. And when your body memory is tuned to Canon ring direction. As it should be with any Canon user. :)

Upvote 0