The Antelope Navajo Under ground cave, ARIZONA, usa.

Hi all
first post but the Canyons seem to have goaded me into action.
I was there last year and as anyone that has been will know they are unbelievable.
My advice would be to take a tripod and go on a photo tour the guides are great at getting the crowds out of the way and you also get to do more of the canyons as there are loads to go to and all different.
As has been said I would agree take 2 cameras one long (70-200ish) and one short 14 on FF.
I have hopefully attached a few of my pictures which need a bit of PSing to get the best out of them but that's beyond me at the moment but I'm keeping the raws for one day...

Attachments

• 6S4A4778.jpg
    6S4A4778.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 384
  • 6S4A4733.jpg
    6S4A4733.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 366
  • 6S4A4702.jpg
    6S4A4702.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 369
  • 6S4A4686.jpg
    6S4A4686.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 368
Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
cantgetagrip said:
Hi all
I was there last year and as anyone that has been will know they are unbelievable.
My advice would be to take a tripod and go on a photo tour the guides are great at getting the crowds out of the way and you also get to do more of the canyons as there are loads to go to and all different.
As has been said I would agree take 2 cameras one long (70-200ish) and one short 14 on FF.
I have hopefully attached a few of my pictures which need a bit of PSing to get the best out of them but that's beyond me at the moment but I'm keeping the raws for one day...

Fantastic! Especially like the first one. PLease share if you could your journey there. How many days were you there, which airport did you fly into or did you drive, time of the day, month of travel, where all did you go etc.
Thanks,
Ray

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
cantgetagrip said:
Hi all

Great shots. I especially like the first one.

...And welcome to CR :)

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
ray5 said:
surapon said:
ray5 said:
Cali_PH said:
ray5 said:
Do we have to apply for permits? If yes, how far ahead of time? I guess you are kind of rushed due to the summer rush and limited time to view these?

You don't have to worry about that, they're included in the tour fees.

If one were to plan both upper and lower canyons, how much time does one require at the minimum? What does the Photography tour offer that others don't?
Thanks again for these awesome images.
Ray

I'd say about 5-7 hours, depending on timing; tours are roughly 2 hours as I recall, although I suppose this may vary from tour group to tour group. I *think* all Upper tours, either from on-site or off-site groups, go at set intervals, so chances are you'll wait at least a little for your tour time. Reserve ahead if you can, or time slots may be filled.

At Lower, the non-photography tours seem to go at set intervals because they need guides to return in order to go back out, but if you pay for a photography tour you can go immediately. They put a paper around your neck with what time you're supposed to be back (guides will check it in the canyon as they pass you) and off you go, no guide. I've had good luck where they just tack on an extra 10-15 minutes to make the return time at a "00" or "30." Years ago they used to just let you pay an extra $20 of you stayed in longer, but they've cracked down since some photographers abused it and caused a problem.

NOTE - The drive between upper and lower is nothing, basically across the street, but as I understand it, most Antelope Canyon tour groups are in town, so they ask you to meet them at their location in Page to be shuttled out. Since most do NOT also do Lower, that means after you're done with Upper, they'll shuttle you back into town to your car, increasing the time to do both on the same day. If you're shopping tour groups, I'd ask them about this, maybe some will meet you at the Upper or Lower parking lots.

Personally, I've always either driven up to the gate and joined the on-site tour group so my car is right there, or joining Carol Bigthumb's group, Adventurous Antelope Canyon Photo Tours. Her family (or some members) live near Upper, and their meeting/parking location is near there, maybe a mile or two.
Thanks a lot for the information. I checked their website and seems they do not have tours of the Lower canyon. Only upper and a few other canyons. The on site tours, any website for them? I am guessing they too have photography tours?
Ray

Dear Ray

http://www.lowerantelope.com/

Surapon
Thanks. Did you also see the Horseshoe Bend? Which is the closest airport?

Dear Ray.
I do not know from airport, But from Page to horseshoe Bend = 30 minutes.
Surapon

Attachments

• SY-22.JPG
    SY-22.JPG
    925.8 KB · Views: 317
  • SY-20.JPG
    SY-20.JPG
    989.2 KB · Views: 359
  • SY-17.JPG
    SY-17.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 334
  • Panorama1-XX.JPG
    Panorama1-XX.JPG
    929.5 KB · Views: 383
  • Panorama1-VV.JPG
    Panorama1-VV.JPG
    852.5 KB · Views: 368
Upvote 0
Phenix205 said:
The color tone seems to vary quite a bit in the photos I've seen for this place. I've never been there so I don't know what it looks like in real world. Is it because of the time when the photos were taken or due to post processing techniques?

I would venture it's been a combination of both. Some people do have a bit of heavy hand with PP'ing, and WB selection can be a big factor. But regardless of that, colors can definitely vary quite dramatically depending on lighting conditions, including time of year, weather, and time of day. I've found I tend to like the under-exposed shots if I bracket, as that brings colors out, as well as controlling for blown highlights.

Upvote 0
ray5 said:

I'm not sure if this was directed at me at all, but I'll answer what I can. Unfortunately I'm not sure what commercial airports are the closest; there are small municipal airports all over, including in Page. I've flown in to Vegas and Grand Junction as part of longer trips which included page, and had friends fly into Phoenix and Flagstaff to meet me in Page.

A word of warning for anyone going to page from the south: part of 89 was shut down over a year ago due to a landslide or collapse. As of April or so when I was last there, that road was still closed. I tried to quickly google current conditions and can't verify it's re-opened, so you may want to check. Locals told me the alternative roads took much longer.

Horseshoe Bend parking lot is less than 2 miles outside of town. It'll probably take about 10-15 minutes to walk to the actual bend.

I'd also second whoever mentioned Coyote Buttes (sorry, on my phone). North (The Wave) and South are both worth doing if you're fortunate enough to win the lotteries.

Upvote 0
Thanks Ray5 and Click
We flew into Vegas form the UK and did a big looping drive to the Grand Canyon, Page, Canyonlands, Arches and Zion National parks.
We only had one day in Page but I would have stayed a lot longer if we could.
Two days should do it one to get an idea of it all the second day to execute it.
The first picture is ISO 400 F11 20 sec the fastest in the set is ISO 100 F9 1 1/3 sec
Taken on a 5D with my best wide lens 17-40, when I say best I mean only
If you can get there go you will never regret it.
Also if you are in the area try to go to "The Wave" but you need to book for that months in advance. Google it, it's stunning as well

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
lightthief said:
Hello Surapon,

great pictures! Thanks for remembering me how great it was (2011). It is funny, there are so many stones but almost everybody take a picture of this one:

index.php

I called it Optimus Prime Silhuette, because it remembered me at this :D:
Optimus-Prime-Transformersl-HD-Wallpaper.jpg

I think, the best time to visit the Upper Antelope is 11 am+, the Lower was great early morning 9 am. We were alone and could use our tripods to see the purple and orange colors.

About the Horseshoe Bend: It is 10 min. away from page, and anather 15 min. by foot from the parking place.

We enjoyed Page for three days and i think, one day more is better, especially when you want to try the "Coyote Butts NP lottery". If you want to try it, think about the different time zones :mad:

Lightthief
Very Nice. Upper or lower Canyon? What serttings did you use for this?

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
surapon said:
ray5 said:
surapon said:
ray5 said:
Cali_PH said:
ray5 said:
Do we have to apply for permits? If yes, how far ahead of time? I guess you are kind of rushed due to the summer rush and limited time to view these?

You don't have to worry about that, they're included in the tour fees.

If one were to plan both upper and lower canyons, how much time does one require at the minimum? What does the Photography tour offer that others don't?
Thanks again for these awesome images.
Ray

I'd say about 5-7 hours, depending on timing; tours are roughly 2 hours as I recall, although I suppose this may vary from tour group to tour group. I *think* all Upper tours, either from on-site or off-site groups, go at set intervals, so chances are you'll wait at least a little for your tour time. Reserve ahead if you can, or time slots may be filled.

At Lower, the non-photography tours seem to go at set intervals because they need guides to return in order to go back out, but if you pay for a photography tour you can go immediately. They put a paper around your neck with what time you're supposed to be back (guides will check it in the canyon as they pass you) and off you go, no guide. I've had good luck where they just tack on an extra 10-15 minutes to make the return time at a "00" or "30." Years ago they used to just let you pay an extra $20 of you stayed in longer, but they've cracked down since some photographers abused it and caused a problem.

NOTE - The drive between upper and lower is nothing, basically across the street, but as I understand it, most Antelope Canyon tour groups are in town, so they ask you to meet them at their location in Page to be shuttled out. Since most do NOT also do Lower, that means after you're done with Upper, they'll shuttle you back into town to your car, increasing the time to do both on the same day. If you're shopping tour groups, I'd ask them about this, maybe some will meet you at the Upper or Lower parking lots.

Personally, I've always either driven up to the gate and joined the on-site tour group so my car is right there, or joining Carol Bigthumb's group, Adventurous Antelope Canyon Photo Tours. Her family (or some members) live near Upper, and their meeting/parking location is near there, maybe a mile or two.
Thanks a lot for the information. I checked their website and seems they do not have tours of the Lower canyon. Only upper and a few other canyons. The on site tours, any website for them? I am guessing they too have photography tours?
Ray

Dear Ray

http://www.lowerantelope.com/

Surapon

Dear Ray.
I do not know from airport, But from Page to horseshoe Bend = 30 minutes.
Surapon
Surapon,
Very nice. Looks like you had some trouble with the sun up on the horizon? What time of day was it? Late afternoon? If you were to go back just for this what time of the day would you choose? Thanks

Upvote 0
ray5 said:
lightthief said:

Oh, the picture above is Surapon's. I do not know his settings.

This (my) picture below is from the Lower Antelope:
50D, 24mm, f6.3, IS 640, 1/80 s, no tripod

Hmmm, did you mean the other one (purple wave, orange background)?
Again, Lower Antelope.
50D, 21mm, f8, IS 100, 1/2 s, tripod

Attachments

• IMG_1186_CR.jpg
    IMG_1186_CR.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 512
Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
lightthief said:
ray5 said:
lightthief said:

Oh, the picture above is Surapon's. I do not know his settings.

This (my) picture below is from the Lower Antelope:
50D, 24mm, f6.3, IS 640, 1/80 s, no tripod

Hmmm, did you mean the other one (purple wave, orange background)?
Again, Lower Antelope.
50D, 21mm, f8, IS 100, 1/2 s, tripod
Both are outstanding shots. Some of the shots posted here are 20secs long! How do you keep folks out of the frame for that long?

Upvote 0
When we went we were in a group of 4, the guide got us to where the beams come in about 10 minutes beforehand and moved everyone else out of the way then lined us 4 with tripods up with everyone else behind us.
If you look at the first picture I have just posted you can see the ghost of the guide, he is to the left of the beam and kept popping out from behind the rock to throw sand into the beam to highlight it a bit more.If anybody dared stray into the frame he was instantly onto them to get out of the way. These are all about 1or 2 second or so exposures at 100 ISO, but the light varies so much 20 seconds is not out of the question.
I hope someone that can really do the slot canyons justice post a few pictures

Attachments

• 6S4A4680.jpg
    6S4A4680.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 503
  • 6S4A4617.jpg
    6S4A4617.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 444
  • 6S4A4623.jpg
    6S4A4623.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 507
  • 6S4A4585.jpg
    6S4A4585.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
cantgetagrip said:
When we went we were in a group of 4, the guide got us to where the beams come in about 10 minutes beforehand and moved everyone else out of the way then lined us 4 with tripods up with everyone else behind us.
If you look at the first picture I have just posted you can see the ghost of the guide, he is to the left of the beam and kept popping out from behind the rock to throw sand into the beam to highlight it a bit more.If anybody dared stray into the frame he was instantly onto them to get out of the way. These are all about 1or 2 second or so exposures at 100 ISO, but the light varies so much 20 seconds is not out of the question.
I hope someone that can really do the slot canyons justice post a few pictures
Hello,
Sent you a PM. Thanks
Ray

Upvote 0
Summary

As I was making notes for myself for my tour there I thought I'd share the information so it might help someone who like me might be considering going there. Obvioulsy this is very concise and in no way covers everything as I have NOT been there. Folks can add or let me know if something is obviously wrong. Here is what I gather from all the information here, PM's from forum members and a couple of phone calls.

- Different companies outfit each canyon, no one does both.
- What appeals to me best is two full days there. Do upper photo tour, go to lower photo pass same day and then do night tour of upper. Return the next day and do upper again.This way the second day I can either enjoy the sights or get the shots I did not/could not the first day and also a buffer in case of bad weather. But makes it expensive as they will not put a custom package for you.
- 2nd day evening do Horseshoe bend at sunset and perhaps lake Powell as well.
- Photography tours all around. To go that far and spend that much money it would be unwise to skimp out on a couple of hundred dollars and not enjoy the show or get the shot.
- June-Aug is the time for the light beams…. but they are open year round.
- Night tour of the Upper Canyon is $150 for photographers who will get instructions on settings etc, $50 for folks who just want to go there and shoot without instructions. The explanation was a bit grey but worth calling and confirming the value of the added $100.
- Las Vegas, Phoenix and even Salt Lake City airports could work. Page does have an airport but a small one.
- In the lower canyon, the photo pass gets you two full hours but you are on your own, no guide. They do have photo monitors who may point you to better spots etc. Perhaps for folks who have been there and are already familiar with the spots.
- Horseshoe Bend: It is 10 min. away from page, and another 15-20 min. by foot from the parking lot. Apparently not so easy a walk due to soft and deep sand. But no tours, you do it on your own.
- Many other wonderful places in UT/AZ close by for your landscape fix; Monument Valley, Arches, Zion, Grand Canyon etc if you have more time.

Shooting tips:
- Wide angle lenses a must
- Photo tours recommended as they come with crowd control. They do make it more expensive though.
- Tripod required in photography packages
- Bracket shots
- Two cameras if possible with different focal length lens, avoid changing lenses inside, it's dusty in there.
- Cleanig cloth, blower etc
- Shoot RAW if not RAW+jpeg
- Polarizer filter to be considered.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and the awesome pictures which have motivated me once again!

Upvote 0