The Canon WFT-E8A Wireless File Transmitter Has Started Shipping

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
retroreflection said:
RGF said:
not sure what this will let me do. Besides download images to tablet, computer, can I use tablet or iPhone to setup my camera? Ideally I would like to be able to tweet focus with my tablet.

Whoa dude, tweeting focus!
The perfect way to enhance the social experience of photography. Real time exploration of the focusing decisions in your workflow. Maybe open up to collaborative focus adjustments.
Mind blown!

I know, there is a special place in hell for the autocorrect coders (just tried to make me say "in help").

Ok wise guy, tweak focus. Will the unit do it?

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
barton springs said:
The Canon store now has it marked down 20% so $479.20 instead of $599-

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/wireless-file-transmitter-wft-e8a?WT.mc_id=C126149

I already have an order in with B&H so I emailed Customer Service to see if they'd adjust my (back)order.

Find 9 friends and get a special deal from Canon ;D

Upvote 0
I just picked a used E6 from ebay for $200. From what I can tell the only diffrence is the E8 adds FTPS and 802.11ac.

Range is the same across both units maxing out at 150m/490ft. Real world I don't get much past 100m before my images start to queue. FTP is a bugger to setup on any Mac with a newer operating system 10.10/10.11 and is patchy at best in full stadiums with so much other wireless interference. It def isn't built for hi-speed burst even just shooting JPEG. I can't imagine how it would work at all if you threw RAW into the mix. Although in saying that, maybe the newer speeds of ac makes it possible. Either way, because the 1DX2 is such a battery hog this is guaranteed to zap even more of your precious voltage. Also won't transfer images once your batt drops below 20%

It has it's purpose though. It's great for EOS utility and remote capture via your phone or live view from a device. Also to link cameras but I've never needed to use that feature, plus one's expensive enough!

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Khufu said:
So this does what the ye olde M2 and 4-years-ago's 6D and a few Rebel things do but in an external lump of plastic and without all the, y'know, cameraie bits?... and for just $599?
I can't believe I've not purchased several of these WTF-M8 units already...

That is kind of what I was thinking. ;) This thing is half the cost of a 6D, a pretty darn decent camera, and it comes with the wifi built in.

I personally haven't enjoyed the EOS utility stuff too much. A bit slow, and clunky. The wifi is probably more useful in a dedicated setup, planning to use it, etc. like in a studio. Versus, the on the fly, oh wait, let me use my phone to control the camera and take the shot in this very moment, etc.

Upvote 0

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
Just a quick update - did work flawlessly with newest EOS utility - photo upload speed was 'sluggish': only 72 RAW images in just under 4 minutes using the WFT transmitter as access point to an older MBP (without AC protocol).
Tethering with EOS utility was responsive, not overly 'clunky' for me, but I much prefer LR tethering capture for file management/manipulation. Will try that this weekend.
Overall impression; pricey but lots of functionality and the hardware has a low profile - fits attached to 1DxII in my ThinkTank 'holster' snuggly but able to remove camera and adapter easily.

Upvote 0
I've gotta say, the canon connect app with a 1dx2 and iPhone 6 perform excellently with the wtf$600e8a in remote shooting. Better than with my 6d, very fluid motion on the screen with little lag compared to the 6d, more lag and choppy frame rate there. You can touch ur phone screen to focus anywhere during video and choose face tracking or regular continuous focus from the phone. Also u can save videos in full quality to the phone although it's the mp4 ipb format, can't do it with mov but I visually couldn't see any quality loss to be honest compared to all-i mov. Anyway, wifi is worth getting imho

Upvote 0
This is a clear case of Canon gouging their customers. Get an eyefi sd card and do nearly the same thing for $50. Or do what I did. Switch to Nikon, specifically from Canon's mediocre 7D2 to the fabulous, wifi built-in, D500. The differences between the two are legion. No real comparison actually. The Nikon does everything better. And... no NOISE, which Canon cameras are infamous for. ALL of my 7D2 pics needed some amount of noise reduction. On my new Nikon... None at all. Stay tuned to eBay, I'll have my old 7D2 up for sale this week. I'm not charging xtra for all the noise the camera adds to it's pictures either. The noise comes free. So happy I've made this switch. My mediocre 5D3 is next to go! I'll replace it with the Nikon D850 when it comes out. Better, better, better.

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
reoneill said:
This is a clear case of Canon gouging their customers. Get an eyefi sd card and do nearly the same thing for $50. Or do what I did. Switch to Nikon, specifically from Canon's mediocre 7D2 to the fabulous, wifi built-in, D500. The differences between the two are legion. No real comparison actually. The Nikon does everything better. And... no NOISE, which Canon cameras are infamous for. ALL of my 7D2 pics needed some amount of noise reduction. On my new Nikon... None at all. Stay tuned to eBay, I'll have my old 7D2 up for sale this week. I'm not charging xtra for all the noise the camera adds to it's pictures either. The noise comes free. So happy I've made this switch. My mediocre 5D3 is next to go! I'll replace it with the Nikon D850 when it comes out. Better, better, better.

7D2...noisier than a thread full of trolls. Thanks for the laugh!!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
reoneill said:

1. Your first post in a Canon site and you talk against Canon. You are a troll.
2. You shouldn't have many lenses to talk just about 7D2. Trolls don't have to know about lenses necessarily...
3. D850 is an imaginary product. If you want to be just you should compare D850 with 5D4. OK trolls are not just.
4. Did I say you are just a troll?
5. Enjoy your Nikon and get the .... out of here...

Upvote 0
barton springs said:
The Canon store now has it marked down 20% so $479.20 instead of $599-

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/wireless-file-transmitter-wft-e8a?WT.mc_id=C126149

I ordered one back on May 26 after seeing this post. With tax and shipping the total was $525, still $75 less than B&H with free shipping and no tax.

I checked the status several times and today noticed that the status had changed from Backordered to Order cancelled without any notification.

I did find somewhere there just now that says the Save 20% Instantly - Offer valid May 17, 2016 12:00 a.m. through June 30, 2016 11:59 p.m excludes the Wireless file Transmitter WFT-E8A so maybe it was an error that the order was initially allowed and they chose not to honor that order.

Upvote 0