Theft/loss of gear in NYC on Monday 12 May 2014

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi drolo.
Did you get your gear yet? Is it ok? All there? Stuck with customs? Drugs dog busted it? ( Just realised what I wrote and it is not what I meant, I meant busted as in broke! ;D)

Enquiring minds need to know!

Cheers Graham.

drolo61 said:
Luck is with the simple minded...
My bag had never left the hotel locker room in the first place...
When I called from the airport I did use the Britsh English "Rucksack" instead of "backpack". And so they could not find it...After I sent a photo off ebay of a similar bag, they just picked it up...
It is currently in transit with FedEx and I am so curious to see if everthing has arrived ok
Will let you know

Upvote 0
Hi Graham,

gear returned last Tuesday: safely, untouched (?) but definitely in full working condition.
It was "forgotten" in the hotel locker room and they could not identify the bag by my verbal description while I had them on the phone still at Newark waiting for my plane.
A photo of an identical bag helped them identify it, shipping with FedEx went smoothly and the hotel took the financial impact.
Lesson learned is to always double-ckeck what returns from a hotel locker room and - when in doubt - rather carry the beast even in hot and humid conditions.
The incident has one lucky ending: Already mindsetted to fully replace the content at about 7500€, the "exchange fee" transforming 70-200 4 IS to 2,8 II was very easily digested. This is now my latest toy, and its added value (pardon me: weight) shall remind me to safeguard it at all times ;-))

Thanks for asking and kind regards
Olaf

Attachments

• _ICL4322.JPG
    _ICL4322.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 400
Upvote 0