Those D'oh moments!

Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
Wow I feel a little less foolish now I know I am not alone!
I did have 3 other D'oh moments, one was the mode dial got spun to the green box, took a while to work out why BBF quit working! :-[ and the AF/MF button got slid to MF on both lenses, knew what to look for after the first lens! :)
The last one was forgetting to put the shutter speed back up after trying to get prop blur, damn no props on the Vulcan!
All these mistakes over a 2 day session, yep not going to quit my day job!

Marsu, your automation sounds very enterprising, do we all need to learn to code to achieve this, or is it a settings thing?
I'm guessing learn to code as I don't recall seeing any settings like you use in my O.T.S. ML version. :'(

Cheers, Graham.

Graham,

You will never be alone in any field of human endeavour with such moments. I've had a few of them myself but earlier this year I was taking pictures on a suspension bridge in Bristol, UK. Guy nearby had a 70-200 Mk II on his camera, didn't seem to know much about it mind. He went to switch lenses leaving his big, white, gorgeous lens on the side of the bridge. While he mucked about getting a wider angle lens on his partner turned round catching his big, white, gorgeous lens with her enormous handbag. He didn't even know what happened. I stood there open mouthed and even debated whether I should try jumping off the bridge to try and catch it :D!

They then proceeded to argue about whose fault it was and I think most of us stood around agreed with both of them!

Upvote 0
I'm surprised this one hasn't come up, after all who hasn't done it?

I went out to shoot some scenes with shadows in it the other day and half way through my time I suddenly realised I was using a Canon sensor rather than going out to buy a Sony or Nikon. I realised to my horror that everyone around me had realised my silly mistake so of course there was nothing for it but to re-format the card with all those wasted shots on it. Then crawl off home hoping that there was no-one who knew me in the crowd of laughing onlookers.

Upvote 0

Pinchers of Peril

Shoot first ask questions later
Nov 15, 2012
www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com
Before I changed this menu setting, I had many moments where I was taking pics thinking I was getting great stuff, only to realize I didn't have a card in my camera. Luckily I chimp way more than I should so I didn't get too far into the shoot before realizing. Glad you can turn this feature off.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi fragilesi.
I like that sense of humour, gave me a chuckle.
Please would the DRones leave it at that, this is not a posting about DR, whilst this post was humorous there is no need to hijack this thread with the incessant DRone.
Thank you for your respect of this request.

Was the second incident the Clifton suspension bridge? I suspect that a fall in to water from that height would be instantly fatal for the lens, and possibly anyone who thought they could rescue it! :eek:

Cheers, Graham.

fragilesi said:
I'm surprised this one hasn't come up, after all who hasn't done it?

I went out to shoot some scenes with shadows in it the other day and half way through my time I suddenly realised I was using a Canon sensor rather than going out to buy a Sony or Nikon. I realised to my horror that everyone around me had realised my silly mistake so of course there was nothing for it but to re-format the card with all those wasted shots on it. Then crawl off home hoping that there was no-one who knew me in the crowd of laughing onlookers.

While he mucked about getting a wider angle lens on his partner turned round catching his big, white, gorgeous lens with her enormous handbag. He didn't even know what happened. I stood there open mouthed and even debated whether I should try jumping off the bridge to try and catch it :D!

They then proceeded to argue about whose fault it was and I think most of us stood around agreed with both of them!

Upvote 0
1. Leaving in in timer mode: Every.Single.Time.
2. I was in a hotel room chimping in bed right before falling asleep. Finished looking at pics, and casually tossed the camera to the empty bed next to me...Somehow the rules of physics changed for a split second, my 7D bounce straight back toward me and SMASH right on floor. Luckily, it must have landed directly on the 50 1.8 I had on it. Smashed it to bits. Camera fine:) That lens was the best $80 I ever spent, right up to the end.
3. Leaving lens cap on. Why does this happen ONLY WHEN THERE ARE TEENAGERS AROUND TO MOCK YOU FOR IT?!?
4. Spent a few days shooting around outer banks, filling up two 32GB cards. Got home, ran my script to move files to local directory...Somehow (and it is a mystery to this day), the FW was set to start numbering from 0001 with a new card, so the shots from the second card overwrite the pics from the first! Had to spend some cash on a CF recovery app, which worked like a champ, btw. WHEW!
5. Didn't have right gear b/c I didn't want to carry it. So many times my wife volunteers to carry it so she doesn't hear my griping. Win/Win!

Upvote 0
Greetings from Japan. I signed up to share some D'oh moments with you:

See how many items you can check off from my shopping list of stupid.

1. Left memory card in PC at home -Check!
2. Camera feels lighter than usual. It must be because I'm buff from all that working out. No battery! -Check!
3. Everything is black. Lens cap! -Check! (lens cap promptly thrown away)
4. Everything looks like a thermonuclear detonation. Mode dial changed itself to 'M'. -Check!
5. Fully charged battery is now flat. Camera bouncing against beergut activated Live view. -Check! (live view disabled with extreme predjudice)
6. Changing a lens in Hawaii. Sudden dust storm fills 40D with sand. AF now intermittantly works. -Check!
7. Buying one of those sensor cleaning pens to clean sand off my 40D's sensor. Sensor now covered in flakey black crap from sensor cleaning pen. -Check!
8. Climbing a waterfall in the Philippines. Guide says 'don't stand on the rocks with moss, they're really slippery'. While gingerly tapping one with my foot... Whoosh! 17-40 takes full brunt of being smashed into a rock, 40D plunged into large puddle. Tourists laugh. -Check!
9. 17-40 now has lens filter permanently attached as lens filter is more 'oval' than 'circular' after lens rock interfacing. -Check.
10. Christmas eve: Try to be romantic. Wife has an epic strop and storms off leaving *my* S95 on the wall where we were sitting. Even though Japan is pretty much the safest country in the world and no-one steals stuff ever, someone nicks it. Wifey goes out looking for it on Christmas day. It's my fault Christmas is ruined :) -Check!

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi fragilesi.
I like that sense of humour, gave me a chuckle.
Please would the DRones leave it at that, this is not a posting about DR, whilst this post was humorous there is no need to hijack this thread with the incessant DRone.
Thank you for your respect of this request.

Was the second incident the Clifton suspension bridge? I suspect that a fall in to water from that height would be instantly fatal for the lens, and possibly anyone who thought they could rescue it! :eek:

Cheers, Graham.

Yes on both counts. It was just an attempt to help lighten the mood and not to be taken in any way seriously of course.

And yes the Clifton Suspension Bridge was indeed the place. I must head back there with a tripod as it's a good place for photos, if only they would put blue dye in the water ;D. The guy who lost the lens looked like he could afford it mind, definitely a more money than sense case!

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
Marsu42 said:
mackguyver said:
Here's another wrong setting one - f/11 for landscape - switch lens, still at f/11 for wildlife.

Whatdoyaknow, of course you're not the only one. Without repeating myself too much, I've also solved this problem with Magic Lantern: I programed my auto_iso module to remember the lens settings, so it automatically selects a deepter dof or slower shutter if I screw on my landscape 17-40L than my wildlife 70-300L. I just grew tired of changing the same settings again and again, and the dslr is a computer after all.

I wish that cameras remembered the last used aperture for each lens. That was a standard feature when the aperture was set by the ring on the lens, and a minor annoyance to me with any modern camera.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
e17paul said:
I wish that cameras remembered the last used aperture for each lens. That was a standard feature when the aperture was set by the ring on the lens, and a minor annoyance to me with any modern camera........
I miss aperture rings too, a lot.
Ergonomically, they were just about perfect. They just about forced one into holding a camera correctly, camera body supported in the left hand, fingertips on the aperture ring.
Stop down preview worked so very well on all cameras that had stop down preview, camera didn't even have to be on.
I like how Fuji has brought them back, Canon's multi function ring on S95s and such is pretty cool too though still not the same.

Upvote 0
Hiked out to a waterfall with mate, taking digital and using Linhof 617s film camera.
Finishing up taking shots about to pack up and take Linhof off the tripod .... mate goes, can you take a shot of me with the waterfall in background .... so instead of taking camera off tripod ... I turn around and take a few shots of him with digital camera .... gust of wind blows hard ..... I see the look in my mates face as the Linhof is blown over behind/beside me, I turn to see it hit the ground and watch the lens break in half and leaf shutter parts scatter in the wind.
It took the repairers 3 attempts to get a new shutter from Linhof, as they are not made anymore and they are getting very rare now, they kept on saying no we don't have any .. anyway 6 months and a thousand dollars later all good...

Attachments

• Linhof-617s.jpg
    Linhof-617s.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 239
Upvote 0
Putting the bodies and lenses together. Set the 50D with the 10-22 on my jacket in the van. I'm looking in the bag getting the other camera body and lens. The jacket slowly compresses and made an exit ramp to the concrete 4 feet down. The body had the mount attached with the rest of the lens pieces scatter under the van. Gathered up the wreckage and bagged it. Got a CPS Gold membership.($100) Got a ton of goodies in the mail as a welcome gift. I sent the 10-22 in on a Thursday and got it back Tuesday. Lens looked brand new! Checked it out and was perfect. I was not looking forward to opening the piece of paper with the billing. After a few days, I unfolded the paper. $59.00 Surely this is wrong. I called CPS. The bill was correct. They replaced the bayonet, inner lens group, auto-focus assembly, iris diaphragm assembly, and rear barrel. The tech said the front lens group was still good. I had the lens shade on, so that saved it.
CPS was good to me :)

Canon 10-22mm Lens- forced disassembly by Keith Breazeal Photography, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Omni, Keith.
I feel your pain, it must be horrible to experience treasured equipment breakage, especially when you know it was avoidable, but then hindsight is 20/20 vision! How much easier it would be without "if only I'd...."
Only last weekend I was in the local copse, and set up for a picture for the within forests post, turned round to check on my friend, looked back to my gear to see it topple forwards, fortunately it was setup for low level so it was a very low level incident and the thin coverage on the ground was sufficient to cushion the impact and turn it in to a humorous incident! Scary for a moment though and strangely it must have been captured on high speed gear as I can review the incident in slow mo in my head! :eek:
Thanks to all who are contributing, sharing moments it can be hard to fess up to! :-[

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
I've been grumbling about a Sony NEX5 that was dying on me. I was getting weird battery depleted and can't find the lens messages. I took the lens off, put the body in a plastic bag and set the damned thing on a shelf. I have two of the wee-mirrorless cameras so all was not lost.

After waiting a few too many months I sent a message to Sony and asked them where to send the body in for repair. They replied with a nice list of instructions in three clearly delineated steps. First, reset the camera back to factory defaults and see if the problem persists.

Well... DOH!

The silly thing now works like a champ. I probably scrambled things in memory a little by doing a firmware upgrade. But who knows? Try as I might, I can't get it to act like the electronics are dying.

I guess I have no reason to be pissed off at Sony any longer. Why I'd not thought about reseting to factory defaults is beyond me. Some times I wonder what industry I worked in all those years. LOL!!!

Upvote 0