Thoughts of R6 Owners who "upgraded" from a 5D4 (or similar DSLR, or an RP)?

May 4, 2011
Interesting to see that you made the same move that I did, but my conclusions are very different from yours. This is after using the R5 for 10 weeks, so it is not simply a lack of familiarity with the R5.
The main issue I have is that a large percentage of shots taken with the R5 are not in focus. When this happens, something in the shot is sharp, but it not where I positioned my focus point or points. It is as if the camera has ignored the focus points and focussed somewhere else instead.
The camera has now gone back to Canon to see whether there is a fault and this has given me the opportunity to use my 5D mark 4 again. What a difference. Every shot is sharp, the viewfinder is much clearer than the one on the R5 and overall the camera is much easier to use. So what do you think I should do? Even if Canon are able to repair the R5 I am not sure that I want to use it any more. So do I persist with the R5 or just accept that it was a waste of money and go back to my 5D mk4?
There is probably something up with your R5, as I have had reasonably good experiences with the AF on my R (and my old RP when I had it). That's one thing MILC has going for it in my book, focus consistency.

After some more experience out with the R, I find it's growing on me and I've already found a couple of use cases where I chose it over the 5D4. That said, I'm still keeping the 5D for its faster speed and quicker responsiveness in dynamic situations. IQ-wise, not a noticeable difference between the two cameras...if anything, the final output (post-processed) of the R files seems to be perhaps slightly crisper than that of the 5D images, but I think that's due to DLO being turned on for R files in DPP by default.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Not a 5D series but went from 7d2 to an R6. So I can speak to the differences in the body. Love both bodies but find no drawbacks to the r6 as far as ergonomics and functionality go. I still reserve the 7d2 for really inclement weather though as it is simply built like a tank whereas the r6 is not as weather sealed or bullet proof. The step up in AF is phenomenal and as a wildlife photographer it makes it a better camera despite the reduction on pixels on target. The improvement in sensor performance is astounding but the 7d2 was never an amazing performing sensor so that is no surprise. I don't do video so have never experienced the issues of overheating that many complain about. Had a few lockups initially but the FW updates fixed that fairly quickly.

Upvote 0