UK Canon Tax

Apr 22, 2021
I don't want to start a bitch-fest, I just want an explanation as to why Canon UK charges upwards of 30% more for gear here than in the US and other areas of the world?

The RF 135mm is over £500 more expensive than the same lens in the US.

Nikon, Sony, Sigma etc, don't do this. I'm trying to understand why.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 12.29.39.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 12.29.39.png
    2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I don't want to start a bitch-fest, I just want an explanation as to why Canon UK charges upwards of 30% more for gear here than in the US and other areas of the world?

The RF 135mm is over £500 more expensive than the same lens in the US.

Nikon, Sony, Sigma etc, don't do this. I'm trying to understand why.
I have been complaining about this for the past couple of years, post-Brexit. The problem is that the prices in the UK are set by Canon Europe and they have chosen to price gouge us as we are not part of the single market of the EU. The answer is don't buy from Canon UK/Europe but from reliable grey market dealers like Hdew or Panamoz, and maybe if enough of us do that then Canon Europe will have to realise they need to be competitive.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's got anything to do with Brexit, they've always been overpriced.

(And before anyone says 'oh yes, but you guys have more sales tax to pay for stuff like health care so it all works out' - no, it's 30% overpriced even after sales tax and exchange rates are taken into account).

They used to have the excuse that CVS membership was included 'for free' - but that's now been taken away, so prices need to drop.

Is it that they're carrying a lot of inefficient staff/office costs in the UK/EU that they then charge through to us?

reliable grey market dealers like Hdew or Panamoz

Yeah, and I've bought quite a few things from the grey marketeers - who seem to be able to sell pretty much for US prices. Problem then is that it can be more difficult to sell the items on if you want to use companies like mbp.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I don't think it's got anything to do with Brexit, they've always been overpriced.
Until Brexit, the UK Canon prices were the same as in the rest of the EU as discrimination on grounds of nationality is not allowed - see

Yeah, and I've bought quite a few things from the grey marketeers - who seem to be able to sell pretty much for US prices. Problem then is that it can be more difficult to sell the items on if you want to use companies like mbp.
WEX often advertises used goods as probably coming from outside of UK but they ask the same prices as for those that are UK bought.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mail from Canon UK today:
Hi Alan,​
There’s nothing worse than running out of power mid-shot. Keep your focus on what's in-frame with an exclusive offer just for you.​
Get 10% off a new battery for your EOS R5.​
Saving is easy, simply use BATTERY10_3 at checkout on the Canon store.​

And the price: £114.99. Take off 10% and this exchanges to $146.50. Price at B&H, $79. Even taking off 20% UK taxes, this equates to a 55% mark up.

• Angry
Upvote 0
It's going to be interesting to see where the prices end up over the next few days.

Canon have been running this cashback offer over the last couple of months - at Wex for instance the R5 was down a couple of hundred to £4099, and then the cashback discounted a further £500 to £3599. Now for a camera that sells in the US for $3700 (£2900 + VAT would be about £3480) that's a lot more like it.

Cashback ends today (the 8th). Will Canon UK now permanently reduce the price? I can't see how they can go back up over £4k, especially with folks waiting for the R5ii.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's going to be interesting to see where the prices end up over the next few days.

Canon have been running this cashback offer over the last couple of months - at Wex for instance the R5 was down a couple of hundred to £4099, and then the cashback discounted a further £500 to £3599. Now for a camera that sells in the US for $3700 (£2900 + VAT would be about £3480) that's a lot more like it.

Cashback ends today (the 8th). Will Canon UK now permanently reduce the price? I can't see how they can go back up over £4k, especially with folks waiting for the R5ii.
the R5 is £2620 with 3 year warranty all taxes paid from Panamoz.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Funny!
This is exactly what I wrote in a conversation with another forum member 1 minute ago, without having read your post. Strange coincidence...
I know where my next camera will come from.
Just checked the LP-E6NH price in Germany €95, = £81.68, so a 40% mark up in UK over EU.

Upvote 0