Update - Product Advisory for EOS 5D Mark III LCD Illumination Exposure Issue

Joe M said:
Well, if it's a glitch to list this bug all over again, the glitch started on the Canon website so I'd say it's a real issue. Personally I'm not affected with either of my two copies but in a way I wish they were as I'd probably get a free cleaning too. As this issue is so old, I wonder if many have never noticed it or if it's come to light because some have and it's taken this long for Canon to pinpoint the problem to some additional serial numbers.

Anyway, it was never much of an issue.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Joe M said:
Well, if it's a glitch to list this bug all over again, the glitch started on the Canon website so I'd say it's a real issue. Personally I'm not affected with either of my two copies but in a way I wish they were as I'd probably get a free cleaning too. As this issue is so old, I wonder if many have never noticed it or if it's come to light because some have and it's taken this long for Canon to pinpoint the problem to some additional serial numbers.

Anyway, it was never much of an issue.
You're right. It wasn't and still isn't much of an issue at all. I suppose Canon just wants to be sure that no one has anything to gripe about when it comes to this. Personally, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've even used the top light but everyone's needs and uses are different.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2011
Doesn't this primarily effect those who are doing long exposure photography with a 9 or 10 stop "black glass" filter on their camera? A piece of gaffer's take over the top LCD should do the trick. But has anyone had experience with the turn around time once you send your camera into Canon? I bought on of the early models of the 5D3 and my serial number is one of the effected models. I am about to start doing some long exposure photography so I am leaning towards sending my camera in. Just hate being without it. It's a little like sending your kid off with strangers.

Upvote 0
terryh2c said:
Your 5D MarkIII link is only useful for the USA. Any link for the other 95% of us out there?

Hrm . . . you think the world evenly purchases 5Dmk3 by population?

Seriously, there's like five people who post on slashdot on EVERY US-related article complaining about 95% of the world . . . maybe every forum has these guys?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
LetTheRightLensIn said:
candyman said:
YuengLinger said:
neuroanatomist said:
YuengLinger said:
But this issue goes ALL THE WAY BACK to within the first few months of the 5DIII's release, right? And the fix with black electrical tape?

It's the same advisory, Canon just updated the serial number range for affected cameras.

Thanks, Neuro.
Yes, thanks

Didn't they already list it for these numbers though years ago?
They updated it to clarify the serial numbers. Its probably because some current production camera serial numbers caused confusion with the original listing, and owners were sending in cameras that were unaffected.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Jglaser757 said:
I'm not surprised by this at all. I thought this was normal. When ever I put my eye up to the lens, the exposure reading is lower than when I pull my eye away leaving the viewfinder exposed to light coming in. I always compensate for this by either covering up with my thumb or bracketing.

Clearly, you don't understand what this Product Advisory is about.

Canon provides an eyepiece cover for the 'issue' you describe...RTFM.

Upvote 0