Used 5D2...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
So i've just had one of my best mates ring me, he was talking to a Wedding Photog who dropped her 5d2 the other day, she went to replace it and was apprently told by the Canon Australia rep "don't replace your 5D2 now, wait a week for the 5D3". (Apparently this rep was also right about the 24-70II a few weeks ago).

Anyway, long story short, is that I've been offered my mate's used 5D2, he wants to ditch it within a week to beat the price-drop (and doesn't need a replacement until June, so doesn't mind being camera-less until then). I've been watching them go for $1600-2000 used on ebay, he's been offerend $1800 or so by a shop, and he's offered it to me for the same price. It's a few years old, but barely used, 7500 shots and absolutely mint condition.

Question is, do I want it? I do want an FF eventually, not sure how much use i'd get out of it (although about 5 of my mates are getting married this year, a wedding body with my 7D as backup would be nice). Or should I join the queue and stick in an extra grand for the 5D3 as well?

A

alipaulphotography

Who knows what will happen with the prices after an announcement. There will either be a saturated 2nd hand market for 5DMKII's thus them dropping considerably in price. Or everyone will decide that the 5DMKII is good enough for them, they don't want the MKIII and the demand (and therefore the price) of used MKII bodies go up.

Bit of a gamble! My guess is you'd be able to get a brand spanking new body for $1800 next week.

Upvote 0
alipaulphotography said:
Who knows what will happen with the prices after an announcement. There will either be a saturated 2nd hand market for 5DMKII's thus them dropping considerably in price. Or everyone will decide that the 5DMKII is good enough for them, they don't want the MKIII and the demand (and therefore the price) of used MKII bodies go up.

Bit of a gamble! My guess is you'd be able to get a brand spanking new body for $1800 next week.

+1. If he's a true mate surely there should be more of a discount on it for you? I agree, for that price you're pretty much looking at new anytime soon.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
That price needs to be relative to what a new one sells for in your area. In the US, I would not want to pay $1800 for a used one, but in Australia, where Canon seems to have high prices, it might be a really good deal.

If the MK III is actually priced at $3500, prices of used MK II's will rise a bit, so it is a good time to snap up a low priced camera, if its a good one.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
That price needs to be relative to what a new one sells for in your area. In the US, I would not want to pay $1800 for a used one, but in Australia, where Canon seems to have high prices, it might be a really good deal.

If the MK III is actually priced at $3500, prices of used MK II's will rise a bit, so it is a good time to snap up a low priced camera, if its a good one.

new 5D2 here from a camera shop is around $2600
can be had off ebay from hong kong new for a little over 2K

Upvote 0
So your "friend" wants to sell to you now so he doesn't lose money if there's a price drop? Nice friend. I'm with the peeps that think there'll be a price drop because the used market will be saturated. The 5DII was/is a HUGE seller for Canon and was bought by many of the Latest Greatest chasers who will be doing the same thing shortly.

Upvote 0
Couple thoughts.

For one if you are being offered $1800, then the price of the 5D3 right now is almost DOUBLE THAT... Not $1K more but $1700

Second, Not sure about the "price drop" especially if the 5DIII is $3000+, just slightly more MP, faster FPS, Better ISO, Better AF. Prices went UP after the holidays, and I have seen cherry / low use almost new 5DII a lot higher on eBay than they were before. I see < 10,000 shutter actuations sometimes hitting over $1900~! Even if it goes down, I don't think it will drop too much, maybe $1700 for the Cherries, and $1500 for the heavier used.

Third, what is the availability? The 1DX has been delayed. So if announced basically beginning of March, maybe available April / May, or possibly JUNE or later... It might be 4 or 5 months before you can get your hands on it.

Upvote 0
Another thing to think of... the used price may reflect age but market demand... I posed a question yesterday that if the new 5d3 comes in as a $3500 price point, could the 5d2 retail jump back up to the $2600 price it originally started at and many people agreed, especially if canon keeps it around as an entry level camera and the 5d3 being the step up camera... If that's true, it could drive used prices up also with a higher demand on the 5d2. As far as if you want/need it or not, only you can answer that question and if it's worth it to you or not.

Upvote 0
awinphoto said:
Another thing to think of... the used price may reflect age but market demand... I posed a question yesterday that if the new 5d3 comes in as a $3500 price point, could the 5d2 retail jump back up to the $2600 price it originally started at and many people agreed, especially if canon keeps it around as an entry level camera and the 5d3 being the step up camera... If that's true, it could drive used prices up also with a higher demand on the 5d2. As far as if you want/need it or not, only you can answer that question and if it's worth it to you or not.

Yup! I have owned my 5DMKII for 4 months and can either sell it for the same price I paid, or even make some money.

I think the price will go up more if Canon retires the 5DMKII. I think a lot of people were HOPING this camera to be in the $2000 - $2500 range, and the extra $800 - $1000 puts many people outside their comfort zone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.