What was your first L lens?

Eldar said:
My first L was a FD50mm f1.2L, mounted on a NewF1, bought in 1987. I was shooting Kodachrome 25ISO. First trip was 2weeks of sailing in Greece. Those images look good even today.

It's been down hill (for my bank account) ever since ... :p
If you started in 1987, I'm surprised you still have any money ;) I bet those photos look great!

Upvote 0
100 mm macro IS. I am surprised who many people picked this as there first L lens. It is one of the "cheeper" L lenses , so that probably helps.

Anyway, this was the start of spending a lot of money. I bought (not in that order) 8-15 fisheye, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 85 F1.2, ts 24, 30 f2IS. I know that the 30 F2 is not an L lens, but it pretty damn good, I just love it.
Only disappointment I had was 17-40, just couldn't make it work for me and sold it.

Most used 24-70 and 70-200

Upvote 0
First was the 17-40L then it was the
24-105L
85L
35L
135L
100L Macro (had the non L version but sold it to buy a 1dmk3)
24-70L 2.8 ii
and now the 16-35 f4 on order

I'm going to sell off the 17-40 and 24-105 though. I won't need them anymore. I feel like I'm well covered now unless I want to go on safari ;D. After going through the 17-85 and 50 1.4 I can safely say that I'll never buy a non L lens again. Unless it is made by a guy called Carl.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
dhr90 said:
mackguyver said:
friedrice1212 said:
L is a drug...
So true, the only cure is to collect them all ;)

What happens then? I'm sure owning all L lenses will in no way prevent G.A.S ;)
I know this guy called Carl ... Zeiss I think ... ::)
Eldar, you and Ben are correct, although I would like to consult Dolina - given his posts, it looks like he really does own all of the L lenses...

Upvote 0

Menace

New Zealand
Apr 5, 2012
New Zealand
mackguyver said:
Eldar said:
dhr90 said:
mackguyver said:
friedrice1212 said:
L is a drug...

Eldar, you and Ben are correct, although I would like to consult Dolina - given his posts, it looks like he really does own all of the L lenses...

GAS never stops, once I have all the L lenses I'd probably start looking for 'vintage' or obscure lenses! It will never stop !

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
mackguyver said:
Eldar said:
dhr90 said:
mackguyver said:
friedrice1212 said:
L is a drug...

Ohhh it is a drug....

Last night I attended a Canon lens event put on by a local camera shop. During the course of the night I had over $40k in different L glass attached to the front of my camera. Despite their best efforts at plying me with alcohol and offering 10% off purchases on the night I walked out with my credit card (and dignity) intact...but, but there were some I really, really wanted!

Anybody want to buy a kidney? ;D

Upvote 0
Roo said:
mackguyver said:
Eldar said:
dhr90 said:
mackguyver said:
friedrice1212 said:
L is a drug...

Despite their best efforts at plying me with alcohol and offering 10% off purchases on the night I walked out with my credit card (and dignity) intact...but, but there were some I really, really wanted!

Anybody want to buy a kidney? ;D
No on the kidney, but I would like to buy your resolve :) Be honest, though, what percentage off would have made the difference?

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Menace said:
mackguyver said:
Eldar said:
dhr90 said:
mackguyver said:
friedrice1212 said:
L is a drug...

GAS never stops, once I have all the L lenses I'd probably start looking for 'vintage' or obscure lenses! It will never stop !

+1

Upvote 0