Votes: 1 2.6%
  • You are pissed off that you can no longer switch to desktop mode

Votes: 20 52.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Canon Rumors said:
tolusina said:
impeka said:
....... adding the query string "desktop=1" to the URL.......
Is there a way to add tapatalkpopup=0 to that?
LOL

Does that nag every time you hit the forum on your phone?
No dang it, did yesterday though.
ASUS Android with four browsers, Samsung GS4 with five, both levels of tapanag came up on on all nine, today, nada even after re-boots, force closes etc.
---
I did include a 'LOL' up there din't I?

Upvote 0
I almost always hate mobile sites on my phone. I would much, much rather that web designers completely forget about mobile and let me zoom in and out as I please on the full version, or at least offer a link to the full version at the bottom, or let safari request the desktop site.

However, it seems to have improved dramatically today, it's not quite the mobile site, nor quite as the desktop site used to be.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
tolusina said:
impeka said:
....... adding the query string "desktop=1" to the URL.......
Is there a way to add tapatalkpopup=0 to that?
LOL

Does that nag every time you hit the forum on your phone?

So far, it has for me. I installed it, but saw no obvious use. I use RoboForm on my mobiles and desktops, and it logs me in and takes me to the page I want. After I removed Tapatalk, the site started nagging me. Not a big deal for me, but frequent mobile phone users might be frustrated.

Upvote 0
impeka said:
Hello everyone,

Developer here. I see that some of you want a desktop version and unfortunately due to how responsive sites behave your browser doesn't really care what device you're on, instead it only cares about your resolution. This is why some of you have noticed that requesting the desktop site does nothing.

I'm not a UI monster and the intent was never to take away control from the users so I implemented a small workaround that, I'm hoping, will work for now. When on the site, you can toggle the desktop version by adding the query string "desktop=1" to the URL. So http://www.canonrumors.com/?desktop=1 should create a cookie on your system that tells the website to ignore your resolution and render the site as is. You can undo this by visiting http://www.canonrumors.com/?desktop=0. This is a cookie based solution so if you have cookies turned off, this will not work.

Some of you might have a cached version of the site so if this doesn't work try doing a hard refresh (ctrl-F5 on Windows machines).

I hope this helps some of you out.

This was the only thing that worked for me. Thanks for the tip.

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
AvTvM said:
I use the site a lot on my iPhone (4S - has rather small screen) - e.g. when I am traveling on public transportation.
I always switch to desktop view. As a matter of fact I would like to have a setting that alsways opens the site in desktop view automatically as soon as I log in.

I don't like the new desktop view either. All items are way too large now and all articles are displayed in full length,(rather than only headline plus a few lines and one has to click if interested to read further) and therefore too much scrolling is involved. Furthermore I definitely do not want to see Canon's Maeda Masayo face in large, since I associate it with "too little, too late, too expensive" and therefore want to smack it, which might just damage my poor little iPhone. :p

Reader mode is great for that. It is available on the main news site, but not on the forum site.

Admin, is that feature available in the chat room software?

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Mobile problem solved now - Thanks CRguy + web admin! Also many thanks generally for running this great site and providing this forum. I do like the contents and the discussions - quite a lot actually! ;-)

Just for information: safari browser on my iphone is set to the "private mode" which does not allow coolies. I only realized later on, that's why all websites start in mobile mode any time i open them and i have to switch manually to desktop mode. As long as manual switching works, i am fine. I do prefer to surf the net without cookies and tracking of browsing history also disabled. But that's my personal choice and i accept some inconvinience resulting from it. Definitely not CR to blame for it - sorry if i was a bit harsh at first.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
Tapatalk is gone. While it's cool in principle and I can see why some people liked it, I didn't find it added anything to the forum and it was an annoying nag to anyone that did come here and didn't want to use it.

Thanks for the quick fixes. I can now get back to satisfying my GAS much to the dislike of my family.

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
Canon Rumors said:
Tapatalk is gone. While it's cool in principle and I can see why some people liked it, I didn't find it added anything to the forum and it was an annoying nag to anyone that did come here and didn't want to use it.

Very disappointing - I'm a heavy tapatalk user, because I use my iPhone to access forums 98% of the time.

Thumbs down from me !

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Haydn1971 said:
Canon Rumors said:

Very disappointing - I'm a heavy tapatalk user, because I use my iPhone to access forums 98% of the time.

Thumbs down from me !

There's no way for Tapatalk to stop nagging you if you don't want to use it. I've contacted Tapatalk with this issue to see if there's a solution.

Upvote 0
impeka said:
Hello everyone,

Developer here. I see that some of you want a desktop version and unfortunately due to how responsive sites behave your browser doesn't really care what device you're on, instead it only cares about your resolution. This is why some of you have noticed that requesting the desktop site does nothing.

I'm not a UI monster and the intent was never to take away control from the users so I implemented a small workaround that, I'm hoping, will work for now. When on the site, you can toggle the desktop version by adding the query string "desktop=1" to the URL. So http://www.canonrumors.com/?desktop=1 should create a cookie on your system that tells the website to ignore your resolution and render the site as is. You can undo this by visiting http://www.canonrumors.com/?desktop=0. This is a cookie based solution so if you have cookies turned off, this will not work.

Some of you might have a cached version of the site so if this doesn't work try doing a hard refresh (ctrl-F5 on Windows machines).

I hope this helps some of you out.

Hi, thanks for all your work- it's rendering beautifully on iPhone 5 now. Hats off to you dev's who get your sites to work well with so many platforms!

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Canon Rumors said:

Excellent, thanks!

Don't need or like tapatalk, it would just be another insulating layer between me and this forum. I prefer it RAW and direct. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Haydn1971 said:
Canon Rumors said:

Thumbs down from me !

Ditto. Of the forums I frequent, CR was the only one not using the Tapatalk plugin. It was nice to have them all in one place. Sigh.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
cooltigers said:
I get a message
sorry user u r banned from using this forum this ban is not set to expire.
Why? Please help l luv this site

All three of your posts look like those of a spammer. Do you have a gmail address, and hide behind a proxy?

Since you managed to post, you are apparently not banned.

Upvote 0