Wider lens for new FF user - 35L vs. new 28 IS

Status
Not open for further replies.
ahsanford said:
But unlike in a clear "I am going out to [insert destination] to shoot something" situation, in which I'll pack a few lenses in a bag (which I still do often), I am now more and more finding myself putting one lens on the camera, strapping it around me like a satchel strap (over one arm, under the other) and running off with friends sans agenda. This is sometimes out of trying to force myself to move my feet with just one length available, but it's also out of the pragmatic need to not need a bag -- having a bag while out in the city means it never leaves your side.

So now, in this use, size and weight definitely matter. The 24-70 is fine to hold and shoot, but it's a bit of a pickle jar to leave dangling around your neck all day (again, I'm not a pro). I'll still take it on more serious/deliberate shoots, high-camera-need situations (i.e. vacations, events), etc., but for 'I'm just bringing it along if I see something interesting' responsibilities, the very light 28mm IS seems great in that regard.

If weight is a significant part of the problem, you might want to consider a Black Rapid strap. I bought the RS-4 model after seeing many people rave about it on this site, and I am very happy with it. It is amazing how little you notice the weight of the camera and lens, even a rather heavy one (such as the 70-200 f/2.8L II on my 5D2). Changing lenses is a little more awkward with this setup, but it seems perfect for your single lens casual outings. It is so easy and natural to grab the camera and raise it up to your eye and shoot. Even if you decide on a new lens for the wider aperture or IS, I would recommend this strap for your application.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.